Coming off of a bit if a binge

Options
Sooo I have been on MFP for almost 4 weeks. I have gone off my calorie limit quite a bit on several days, but tonight I went off A LOT ...(not logged yet) but i am estimating i ate 3000 calories today. possibly lower but it is hard to say. this consists of mostly alcohol and cookies.

What would your suggestion be for coming off of a binge?

I have plans to go to another party this weekend sooo it is not like i will be home the whole time either!

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Cut down on your cals on your non party days and drink lots of water. Also you can work out the next day if you're not too hungover - it's probably better to work out beforehand though :)
  • jrgold
    jrgold Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love how even when i am drinking i still run to my ipod to log the calories :p

I guess I will try to compensate on the other days. It is just that I let my guard down, and i dont think it is just the alcohol - it is when im with a bunch of people too..that are eating!!
  • LillyMosley
    Options
    It is all part of the learning curve, you are doing the right thing by facing it, and thinking of ways to cope, well done.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    You have to have will power. If you want this to work you have to put in work.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Just come back to it the next day and get back on the wagon. Don't let a bad day derail you.
  • Danahimself
    Danahimself Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Quality H20 and vitamins I think will help you as you are being so active!
  • PeasNLuvLety
    Options
    I feel you on this one, if you're going to party this weekend, stick to hard alcohol instead of beer or wine because it has less calories per drink. I don't know if that's the "proper" advice but it's what I do. As for the munchies, I always say that if I'm going to eat late at night or when I'm drunk, it's going to be something healthy and small; noting over 250 calories so that if I do go over, it's not ridiculously high. Also, I would stick to mixed drinks with juice or just taking shots. I don't know if this what you meant by partying but it's out there if you did. Good luck!
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Since you mentioned that you have a party coming up, log (maybe even a bit of overestimation) how many calories you think you might consume that evening, and eat the difference earlier in the day. Work out some in order to allow yourself more leeway.

And, yes, as someone else suggested, drink a lot of water as it can help you fill up faster. I, personally, drink at least one cup of water for every alcoholic drink I consume. It helps me to not drink as much, as well as the next day hangover. :-)
  • jrgold
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice and support. I think for me I need more the REASSURANCE
    that i can still do this...normally, i would just say "screw it!" and there would go my diet.
  • servilia
    Options
    oh yes you can definitely still do this! Don't quit :) We all have bad days - the trick is to learn from them and learn how to compensate for them.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice and support. I think for me I need more the REASSURANCE
    that i can still do this...normally, i would just say "screw it!" and there would go my diet.

If you trip over a rock, do you pick it up and smash your head against it repeatedly? No. Think of today as tripping over food. Get back up, brush it off, and keep walking down your road.
  • jrgold
    Options
    That is also a good idea to try to estimate how many cals I will eat first.

I am actually not a big drinker at all so the chances of me getting drunk or even getting a hangover are very slim. Since i dont like the taste of alcohol I usually go for wine coolers and sugary stuff though. i think i might not even drink at all for this one!
  • servilia
    Options
    ps the person who said stick to hard liquor is right. Much better than the sugary stuff and coolers you say you drink.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    If you are a binger... then replace the time you binge in with exercise... It really helps, plus its an appetite supressant AND you're getting Cardio benefits AND burning calories! Simples!

Plus exercising self control and self discipline goes a long way too.