ACL reconstruction recovery HELP

Options
Two days ago I had surgery to reconstruct my anterior crucial ligament in my right knee. Right now, my knee is in an immobilizer and i have been told that I will be on crutches for the next two weeks and even after I can walk without crutches, I will not be very active
Does anyone have any tips, for staying healthy throughtout this time? Especially right now- I am more or less bed bound for a whole week, meaning almost no exercise.
How do I continue to lose weight- or at least prevent weight gain while dealing with this injury?

Also the drugs I'm on seem to have messed up my system, I'm finding it hard to keep my food down (sorry! may be TMI)
Does anyone have any suggestions for post op recovery food?

From what I know, it is a pretty common surgery, and if anyone has some experience I would love to hear it.
In fact, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    hi,

I had the same issue. I was off my feet for 3months. In order to keep losing the weight you have to really watch your diet. Umm i did kinect boxing and maintained the weight.
  • Nursdoc
    Options
    Eat your veggies and drink lots of water. The pain meds you are on can dry out your system and cause constipation. Eat foods high in fiber. If you continue to throw up, talk to your doctor. You may need to change medications. You should have gotten a list of strenthening exercises and performed those prior to surgery. Your leg will remain in the immobilizer for a few weeks. The degree of flexion will change as you heal.

Back arms you can do. Leg raises are good. Flexion and extention of your feet. Flexing the hip by squeezing. I hope this helps.
  • a_fill
    a_fill Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    That helps a lot,
    Thanks for the input!