Tilapia ideas?

Options
I have a large package of Tilapia and would like more ideas on how to make it. I have often put a dry rub or wet marinade and grilled/baked. Any other ideas? THX

Replies

• WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to eat Tilapia! ENJOY!!

2/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
    1/3 cup mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
    1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
    1 lb tilapia fillet, thawed if frozen
    paprika

Preheat oven to 375°. Mix parmesan cheese, mayonnaise, green onion, and hot sauce in a small bowl; set aside. Pat fish dry with paper towels. Coat a shallow baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; place fillets in baking dish. Spread parmesan mixture evenly over fillets and sprinkle with paprika. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork and topping is puffed and light golden
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Don't and eat a fish that doesn't live off other fish's poop.
  • WildFlower7
    Options
    What?!? :huh: :laugh:
  • poisongirl6485
    Options

Never saw the Dirty Jobs episode on farm raised fish, eh?

Well, when they farm Striper Bass , they put tilapia in the tanks as well. Why? To eat the fish poop. And you know what they do when the tilapia are big enough? You got it---they ship it to grocery stores.

Yum yum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGoR4dbE1os
  • poisongirl6485
    Options
    Ugh stupid double post.
  • ashmitatua
    ashmitatua Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Talapia curry (Indian style)

Cut Talapia fillet into medium sized squares
    Marinate with salt, lemon juice, cumin powder and turmeric powder
    Grill it 4-5 mins each side (I use portable George Foreman gril)
    Set it aside

For the sauce.
    1 medium sized potato, diced into bit size pieces. Fry it or boil it (fried is way better than boiled)
    In a pan, heat oil, when its hot, add some jalepeno peppers and cumin seeds
    when the seeds start to splatter, add a tomato (cut into small pieces) , add the fried potatoes and any other kinda veggies you want to add
    Once veggies are done, add water and the fish
    Let it simmer for 10 mins.

Enjoy with basmati rice

Ash
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I put EVOO, dill, Mrs. Dash's original recipe, lemon pepper and garlic on my tilapia. put it on aluminum foil and grill it. love it every time.
  • Fairedust30
    Options
    i use lime/lemon juice, any seasonings around and pan cook it on medium w/ a bit of fat free chicken broth - then make fish tacos..
  • groom
    groom Posts: 23
    Options
    i put a little salsa on mine, and bake it. So easy, and really good.
  • WildFlower7
    Options

Never saw the Dirty Jobs episode on farm raised fish, eh?

Well, when they farm Striper Bass , they put tilapia in the tanks as well. Why? To eat the fish poop. And you know what they do when the tilapia are big enough? You got it---they ship it to grocery stores.

Yum yum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGoR4dbE1os

I was actually laughing through most of that. Unfortunatly there are alot of foods that we probably wouldn't know where exactly they came from, what they last ate before they were killed then ate, or how they were killed, guess it's personal preference, AND only 30% of striped Bass are raised this way so I would imagine the percentage for Tilapia is close to the same. Not all Tilapia eat fish poo, that's only one fish farm, and If you don't like farmed fish, then eat wild, lol.
  • Kickstand927
    Options
    Sounds amazing, making it soon! Thanks
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I think Dirty Jobs is a "gross out" entertainment show, so if they could make something seem grosser than it is, I'm pretty confident they would.

Also toxins are good at remaining in the top predator in the chain, so the chances the talapia have less toxins in their flesh (not in their digestive systems) than a striper bass seem at least a fair bet to me.

I prefer basa fish - but it showed up in stores about the same time as talapia, so I wonder if it has a similar background but from a different region perhaps?
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Don't and eat a fish that doesn't live off other fish's poop.

LOL I don't care, I figure it tastes good, and that's enough.

--- I like to fry mine, make sure fish is defrosted, pat dry. Spray pan with non-stick spray (like PAM etc)...cook on one side for a few minutes, season with some garlic, onion powder, maybe add a squirt of lemon. Pick up fillet, spray pan again, fry other side. I do it so the fish is kind of crispy around the edges.

I also like it with breading and baked in the oven. :) I posted about one recipe here - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/382312-crispy-baked-parmesan-crusted-tilapia
  • jenvic
    jenvic Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Any farm raised fish is gross/or animal. That's why I love me some Wild Salmon, easier to get here in the Pacific Northwest.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    A spread of pesto before baking is good. A little squeeze of lemon before eating.

My other favorite is tortilla crusted.

4 tilapia fillets
    6 corn tortillas, torn in pieces
    1 jalapeno peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped
    1 teaspoon lime juice
    1/4 cup fresh cilantro
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon seasoning salt
    1 eggs, beaten

Directions
    Preheat oven to 375°F Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
    Place tortilla pieces, pepper, lime juice, cilantro and spices in blender. Pulse until the mixture is uniform small crumbs. Spread on plate.
    Beat egg in shallow dish.
    Dip each fillet in egg, then in crumbs, patting crumbs to adhere. Place on baking sheet.
    Bake until fish flakes, about 15 minutes depending on thickness of fillets.

I usually just adjust this recipe for one. I use one tortilla then eyeball the rest to my taste. Its surprising how good this simple recipe is.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i like almond crusted tilapia and flounder. here is a recipie, http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/almond-crusted-tilapia-10000001611796/

i make it like this: salt and pepper to taste, then all on one side of the fish, dip it in flour, beaten egg, and almond slices. then on the prepared side, put it in a frying pan on med high heat. when the edges are brown, flip it over and lower the heat. when ready, take them out, drain all but a table spoon of oil, and add a tablespoon of butter as your sauce. cover the fish in it. serve over brown rice and asparagus on the side.

Calorie count: delicious.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Top with Parmesan and garlic, bake. Lemon juice is optional.
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    George Foreman grill and a little blackened seasoning.....grill a little pineapple, mango and banana slices to go with...yummo!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    wrapped in bacon and baked