What am I doing wrong

Options
This week I have cut down to five days instead of 7 days at the pool. I have stuck to my calories, even under some days and the scales have not moved this week. Help.:cry:

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Nothing, you just need to be patient. You didnt put all the weight on in a week, so it wont all come off in a week.
  • shunnie86
    Options
    give it time remember your building muscle tone it weigh as much as fat and only weigh yourself once a month Dont Stress yourself
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    There are so many factors.

Sodium intake? Water retention? TOM?

Just don't get discouraged. Keep up the work. With another week you will see the results that you didn't see this week happen.
  • pj4432
    pj4432 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Dont be disheartened, just keep at it, you may find next week you may lose more than expected.
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary – you're massively under-eating some days. Why aren't you eating back your exercise cals?
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary – you're massively under-eating some days. Why aren't you eating back your exercise cals?

Wow you are the only one that actually did the effort to go look at her diary...kuddos on being a great MFP pal.
  • shazzahare
    Options
    I always thought more exercise and less food would result in weight loss. I have read all the info about eating back calories but if I eat them back then you are back to the start if that makes sense. I am eating, I am not going hungry at all.
  • sophieshaped
    Options
    Search the threads – there's loads of info on here about it :o)
  • sophieshaped
    Options

Wow you are the only one that actually did the effort to go look at her diary...kuddos on being a great MFP pal.

Why thank you :o)
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    You've done nothing wrong. Unfortunately, that's just very normal. Not fair. But normal. The same has happened to me this week and many times before in my weight loss efforts. You might need to increase your calories by perhaps 100 for a few days or a week to break the plateau. If you're not eating enough, your body goes into starvation mode and you can even gain weight. So make sure to eat enough.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I always thought more exercise and less food would result in weight loss. I have read all the info about eating back calories but if I eat them back then you are back to the start if that makes sense. I am eating, I am not going hungry at all.

Then you dont understand how MFP is set up. It has automatically created a deficit for you regardless of exercise, which is why you can eat the calories back.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your calories burned? Remember that at the age of 40 the metabolism really does slow down, so doing exercise that you would have as a 20 or 30 year old may only be putting you at a maintenance level. Swimming is wonderful exercise, but from my experience it's difficult to lose weight from doing so alone, if you aren't doing so already try and add a bit of weight/strength training to your workout. Also, our bodies get used to the exercise we do, maybe cut down on the swimming to 3-4 days a week and try to add jogging (if you can), or elliptical-some other form of cardio.

As for the food, I say this over and over because again and again it's what I see results from-at 30 I can no longer eat like the 20 year olds around me. Now you definitely aren't over eating, especially when it comes to fat, but I don't see a whole lot of fruits and vegetables either. If you can, try and get more lean protein in your diet and a lot more fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet as well. Weightloss really does come down to about 70%-80% what we eat.

And as others have already said, give it time. Healthy weightloss doesn't happen overnight. Be patient with yourself.
  • sophieshaped
    Options
    You've done nothing wrong. Unfortunately, that's just very normal. Not fair. But normal. The same has happened to me this week and many times before in my weight loss efforts. You might need to increase your calories by perhaps 100 for a few days or a week to break the plateau. If you're not eating enough, your body goes into starvation mode and you can even gain weight. So make sure to eat enough.

Really?

Yesterday she ate 1455 calories and did 2436 calories of exercise. That's a net of -981. Her net should be at least 1200.