Low carb lunch ideas please :)

Options
Since starting full time work I have had to up my carbs by eating sarnies and wraps but I have found I am so bloated and I get stomach cramps in the evening. I would love some low carb lunch ideas that I can take to work with me. Thanks :)

Replies

• dianeellen2
    dianeellen2 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Soup?
  • mazza2marilyn
    Options
    Salad or boiled egg and tomatoes with some fruit
    crisp breads, do you have a microwave at work, if so
    take a ready meal but watch out for the salt content.
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I go for soup.. love soup! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!! Perfect for a cold winter. OR you could do beef stew.. instead of using potatoes use turnips. I swear they taste great! My 3 year old eats them raw which is unlike her.
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    yogurt was always one of my favorites
  • rheiah
    rheiah Posts: 84
    Options
    I try to make the best of seasonal ingredients. So today I have Tesco's seasonal baby leaf salad, roasted whole hazelnuts, roasted butternut squash (just peeled & desseded, cut into junks and roasted in the oven with a bit of olive oil), crumbled blue cheese and a low-fat mustard dressing.

I also love butternut squash soup, so I often roast halved & deseeded squash until very soft, scoop the flesh out & add it to onions & garlic fried in a bit of butter. Add water, cook until smooth or puree. (add creme fraiche if you want to indulge, or roast pumpkin seeds & a drizzle of pumpkin seed oil).

And I always have a portion of this BBC Good Food 5-a-day vegetable tagine in my freezer, ready to take to work with me:
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7742/fiveaday-tagine
    I just take a bit of dried couscous with me, add hot water and ta dahh, a light but hearty lunch.
  • Malissas
    Malissas Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me and I discovered i was gluten intolerant!
    If you just have low carb without the protein you will be unsatiated (if thats a word) and hungry. This is pretty much what I did when I was taking lunches to work.
    Protein ideas to take to work:
    - leftover casseroles (without the potato, rice, bread, pasta)
    - chicken, turkey, meat etc prepared the night before.
    - can tuna, salmon, other fish
    - egg
    - nuts
    - beans, legumes
    - protein shake powder
    - yoghurt
    Low carb ideas to take to work:
    - greek salad, garden salad, green salad, red salad, tomato salad, etc
    - soup sachet
    - homemade soup in a thermos
    - fruits, berries
    - stirfry made the night before

Things like rice, quinoa, couscous might not bloat you and might be ok in small doses.

Hope that helps!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I go for soup.. love soup! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!! Perfect for a cold winter. OR you could do beef stew.. instead of using potatoes use turnips. I swear they taste great! My 3 year old eats them raw which is unlike her.

How do you make your beef stew?... just brown off meat, boil veg and add them together with gravy?.. or do it another way? .. I love dumplings but I've gone gluten free... anyone know if can get gluten free dumpling mix anywhere? .. my mum used to do it with tomato soup instead of gravy so we got orange dumplings.. lol! but we called it Ash and Dumplings.
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I try to make the best of seasonal ingredients. So today I have Tesco's seasonal baby leaf salad, roasted whole hazelnuts, roasted butternut squash (just peeled & desseded, cut into junks and roasted in the oven with a bit of olive oil), crumbled blue cheese and a low-fat mustard dressing.

I also love butternut squash soup, so I often roast halved & deseeded squash until very soft, scoop the flesh out & add it to onions & garlic fried in a bit of butter. Add water, cook until smooth or puree. (add creme fraiche if you want to indulge, or roast pumpkin seeds & a drizzle of pumpkin seed oil).

And I always have a portion of this BBC Good Food 5-a-day vegetable tagine in my freezer, ready to take to work with me:
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7742/fiveaday-tagine
    I just take a bit of dried couscous with me, add hot water and ta dahh, a light but hearty lunch.

All sounds yum. Mind preparing mine for me? ;o)
  • Scoobies87
    Options
    Same thing happened to me and I discovered i was gluten intolerant!
    If you just have low carb without the protein you will be unsatiated (if thats a word) and hungry. This is pretty much what I did when I was taking lunches to work.
    Protein ideas to take to work:
    - leftover casseroles (without the potato, rice, bread, pasta)
    - chicken, turkey, meat etc prepared the night before.
    - can tuna, salmon, other fish
    - egg
    - nuts
    - beans, legumes
    - protein shake powder
    - yoghurt
    Low carb ideas to take to work:
    - greek salad, garden salad, green salad, red salad, tomato salad, etc
    - soup sachet
    - homemade soup in a thermos
    - fruits, berries
    - stirfry made the night before

Things like rice, quinoa, couscous might not bloat you and might be ok in small doses.

Hope that helps!

Brilliant thanks :)
  • kbean33
    Options
    bump