Gym

Options
I have been going to the gym for around a year but lately have been finding myself getting very bored of the machines and no motivation to go, I am considering whether to give up the gym and do more walking/30 Day Shred/random exercise classes etc. But I am worried if I give up the gym all together I will slip into bad habits and gain weight!

I always stay around the same weight no matter what I seem to do, the most I have ever lost was around 10 pounds last year from doing the wii fit daily?! I weigh too much (12st ish)for my height (5ft 5") yet my clothes size is pretty average UK 12/14?

Any comments/suggestions are very very welcome :)

Replies

• Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Switch from machines to free weights and change up your routine.
    Using dumbbells is better anyway. You engage more muscles with free weights than you do on the machines.
  • idcatiej22
    idcatiej22 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    if you're looking for new ideas for the gym, check out women's health's website. they have really good ideas for new exercises to try and ways to switch up your work-out.

i think your best bet is trying to vary your routine a bit. i do a combination of 30DS and the gym; i also go to yoga or swim whenever i can. just do whatever works for you, and keeps you from getting bored.

good luck :smile:
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    why dont you try some of the classes offered at your gym? i am assuming there are some.

there are some people at my gym who only use machines and other who only go to classes. for me, i find a combination of both works best. there are days when i am fed up of the machines and other days when i just dont fancy being in class.
  • dirtydirtydiana
    Options
    The machines at the gym also bore me, so I started playing a new sport. We have a squash court at the gym, so I mostly just do that, and then spend a few minutes on the machines or do some strength.

Does your gym offer classes? Those are less boring.
  • byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Does your gym offer classes? Maybe start going to those to change things up. Buy a jump rope...that'll kick your butt. Sounds like you need to change up your routine if you aren't losing weight despite your efforts. I change it up from doing gym workouts, high intensity interval training, running outdoors, jump roping, and various Bob Harper DVDs. If you need more ideas or motivation add me.
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    When I started I was clueless about the gym but mine offers 4 free sessions with a personal trainer as part of the membership so I had him set me up on a routine. I can't afford to pay for a trainer regularly but I splurge on one or 2 sessions a month to switch my routine up and keep from getting bored.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Switch from machines to free weights and change up your routine.
    Using dumbbells is better anyway. You engage more muscles with free weights than you do on the machines.

Well said Doc