Is This a Plateau?

Options
I've been counting my calories (although not very strictly) and working out religiously for the past year. I've lost inches, and I've gone down 2 dress sizes. But my weight hasn't changed at all. I'm exactly the same kilos I was this time last year. If it's a plateau, it's a year-long plateau. Has anyone had this problem before? People tell me it's probably the muscle weight I gained, etc., but really? I don't lose ANY in a year?

I've still got about 15 kilos to lose to get out of the overweight zone.

Replies

• snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    When you say you weren't strictly counting your calories... what do you mean? Have you been varying your exercise or using the same one or two activities this entire time? If you have lost inches, I wouldn't say that is a plateau but it varies for everybody.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Nope, because your measurements are changing. Just need to stick with it.

We use a scale because it is the most convenient, not because it is the most accurate
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If you need to lose 15kg and haven't lost anything in a year, then obviously you need to change something. There is no point in 'sticking with it'. You either need to cut your calories and/or increase exercise.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you opened your diary people might be able to help more
  • schnugglebug
    schnugglebug Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    also keep in mind that muscle weights more than fat... so the scale may go down... but if exercising regularly or hardcore, it might even go up a bit because of muscle formation...

measurements are a good way to notice a difference.... but yes healthy choices are important too .
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    also keep in mind that muscle weights more than fat... so the scale may go down... but if exercising regularly or hardcore, it might even go up a bit because of muscle formation...

measurements are a good way to notice a difference.... but yes healthy choices are important too .

In order to have gained significant muscle you would need to have been exercising intensely and probably not at a calorie deficit.
  • dirtydirtydiana
    Options
    When you say you weren't strictly counting your calories... what do you mean? Have you been varying your exercise or using the same one or two activities this entire time? If you have lost inches, I wouldn't say that is a plateau but it varies for everybody.

By "not strictly" I meant that I wouldn't log my calories everyday, but I'd always keep them in mind. I've been counting calories for about 2 years now, so I have an idea of how many calories I consume per day. As for my exercise, they are varied. In a week, I play sports 3x, I go running once, and I do strength, use the machines, and join classes at the gym. I have lost inches, and everyone keeps telling me I've lost so much weight, but.. well.. I know it's not the kilos.
  • dirtydirtydiana
    Options
    If you need to lose 15kg and haven't lost anything in a year, then obviously you need to change something. There is no point in 'sticking with it'. You either need to cut your calories and/or increase exercise.

I do high-intensity workouts 6x a week for an hour each day. Here at MFP, my calorie goal is 1,600 per day (without adding the exercise). I work out with an HRM and I usually burn about 500 calories a day, give or take a few. Shouldn't I eat more than 1,600 in that case?
  • dirtydirtydiana
    Options
    if you opened your diary people might be able to help more

I would, but I don't think that would help much, because I've only been on this site for a couple months, and I don't always get to log what I eat.