Dr.Durkans diet

Options
Hello,

I had a friend of mine suggest the Durkan's diet plan .. basically for the first 5 days you eat only protein, nothing else... after those 5 days you incorporate only vegetables with the protein until you loose all your weight.. now i'm on day 3 and i don't understand why i can't eat vegetables! i miss the greens! lol .. if any of you have been on this diet, are doing it, or have any input please reply :) thanksss and add me :)

Replies

• lvnspoonful
    lvnspoonful Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of it....sounds hard to stick to! I am not realy big on protein and lots of meats so I think it would be hard for me to stick to.
  • ajfrench
    ajfrench Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have done it but it sounds like a combination of Atkins and South Beach. I assume for the first 5 days you can't have anything else - grains or fruits, etc. You'll have to keep us posted on how you do.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Scary, scary diet. A friend of mine ended up impacted and had to have surgery. Yeah, not something I want nor can afford right now...
  • Moms3Kwa
    Options
    They had a story on GMA about this diet. People lost a lot of weight when they started but had a hard time maintaining after they stopped the plan.
  • vanessadcampanelli
    Options
    well i tried it for 1 day believe it or not lol .. it didnt last i felt extremely dizzy .. lightheaded and it just didnt feel right... so yesterday i cheated and incorporated veggies.. just eating protein cannot be good for you.. i just wanted some feed back on the diet as my friend is sooo convinced it works... but me not so much
  • MickeyEstes
    MickeyEstes Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You may want to read this article about too much protein.

http://www.nutritionresearchcenter.org/healthnews/too-much-protein-is-no-good/
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I doubt followoing any extreme diet for only 5 days would do permenant harm, but that would be 5 pretty crappy days IMO. What is the plan for maintenance once the weight is lost?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I doubt followoing any extreme diet for only 5 days would do permenant harm, but that would be 5 pretty crappy days IMO.

... or lack thereof from not getting any fiber.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I doubt followoing any extreme diet for only 5 days would do permenant harm, but that would be 5 pretty crappy days IMO.

... or lack thereof from not getting any fiber.

:laugh: Very true. Day 6 or 7 could be interesting though.
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I had a friend of mine suggest the Durkan's diet plan .. basically for the first 5 days you eat only protein, nothing else... after those 5 days you incorporate only vegetables with the protein until you loose all your weight.. now i'm on day 3 and i don't understand why i can't eat vegetables! i miss the greens! lol .. if any of you have been on this diet, are doing it, or have any input please reply :) thanksss and add me :)

Is this Dukan Diet by any chance ? It sounds very similar. www.thedukandiet.com (or url link http://www.dukandiet.co.uk/)
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Atkins is better than Durkans. Durkans let you eat as much protein as you want and
    it's possible to overeat protein and make your kidney works double hard .
    Durkans was on Dr Oz show. To me it's jut another spin off from the low carb pioneer Dr Atkins.