Atkins

Options
2»

Replies

• auctoritas
    Options
    I'm a general low-carber (<20g/day) and I find that for me, personally, I'll be able to sustain it long term. I might transition to something akin to paleo later and reintroduce the occasional potato or fruit or small rice side dish, but I'm pretty happy on a high fat, moderate protein diet. I don't wake up at 4 am with crippling cramps and diarrhea anymore, and I'm losing weight.

I've never done atkins, but like any diet it HAS to be looked at as a lifestyle change. There is no going back to "normal" eating, this is your normal eating now. You can cheat, but you always keep in mind everything a cheat day entails.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Go for it! The data shows that low carbohydrate approaches are both SAFE and EFFECTIVE, despite the uniformed rants to the contrary. Just follow Atkins book recommendations and I am confident you will see success. If you can step away from the simple carbs for the induction period, you will find that your cravings for carbohydrates will resolve. And there is no physiologic need for carbohyrate to be eaten. The human body can generate any carbohydrates it needs from other nutrient sources.I am not personally an Atkins fan, but know it can work for dedicated low carb'ers
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You will get a lot of mixed feeling on this topic. As for me, I did Atkins several different times- and when i was working at it, it works great! I lost tons of weight and pretty quickly. I was never hungry and usually felt satisfied. That being said, why am I back at MFP? Because eventually I wanted a mojito at a summer party, or bread with dinner, or a piece of cake- that lead to more carbs, etc, and eventually, I gained it all back- and I'm not talking about piggin out either. Once you start eating carbs again- even for a few days, you will gain several lbs back.

This time around, I have decided to go the old fashioned "calories in/calories out", exercise, healthy and balanced route. Well, I sort of "fell off the wagon" the past 3 1/2 weeks- not being careful - having several splurges- still working out though- guess what? I did not gain one single lb.

This was proof to me that this is the way to go. It was amazing to know that the weight I lost was real weight and not gimmicky- and that just smelling ice cream won't make me gain 5 lbs...

It's all personal choice though.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Most of the initial weight loss will be water, which will come back when you reintroduce carbs.

I'm pretty sure only my first 5-6 pounds of the 62 I've lost was water. The rest was fat. Why would re-introduce any form of carbs that come in a box, processed, or refined in a factory? I'm pretty sure there is not much nutrition in a can of Pringles....

Fad diets are just a bad idea. Once the person transitions out of the diet, and eats "normal" again, they gain the weight back. I'm not sure of what exactly this diet is, but isn't it low carbs? I personally could never survive on low carbs; but that's just me!

Atkins has been around since the '70's. Pretty sure it's not a "fad" diet. Phen Phen was a fad diet. Just saying...
    The Atkins diet is terrible for your health and the only reason you lose weight on it is because you aren't eating as many calories. Calories in vs. Calories out is the way to lose weight. Too much protein and fat is terrible for your body, and it's not maintainable. Once you start eating normally again (which you will eventually need to do so you don't develop heart disease), you will gain all the weight back.

Here's a suggestion, instead of trying a potentially dangerous diet, just change your lifestyle. Eat mostly vegetables and lean proteins and monitor your calories in and calories out.

Really? This is just mis-information wrapped in hearsay, and tied with a ribbon of opinion...
    I've never done Atkins but a few years ago I did the South Beach Diet. I did loose 12lbs in 2 wks but everyone is right, it's not sustainable. I think the worst part is you don't learn how to make good choices for the rest of your life. If I had been able to follow all three phases into regular lifestyle, maybe it would have worked but I really think it's the small day to day changes that add up to a big change over time.

I do still have the book and I do use some of the recipies from time to time but good nutrition is really the key. It's really skrewed up to think 1lb of bacon is better than an apple or a banana. What really discourages me is the vilification of the potato. Poor, poor potatoes. They are full of nutrients, way more than a bowl of lettuce. Yes they are full of carbs and high in calories compared to other veg but a small-med potato IMO is not the same thing as a giant plate of mashed potatoes with the secret ingredient - mmmmm, butter. Potatoes are what sustained western society through the little ice age for goodness sakes! They are not an evil food.

This is the typical misunderstanding of low-carb diets like Atkins, South Beach and Paleo. With Atkins you don't have to give up that stuff forever, just for the first 2 weeks. Sort of like hitting the reset on your body. You get plenty of carbs through vegetables! You can't give up junk carbs for 2-3 weeks of your life?
    I'm a general low-carber (<20g/day) and I find that for me, personally, I'll be able to sustain it long term. I might transition to something akin to paleo later and reintroduce the occasional potato or fruit or small rice side dish, but I'm pretty happy on a high fat, moderate protein diet. I don't wake up at 4 am with crippling cramps and diarrhea anymore, and I'm losing weight.

I've never done atkins, but like any diet it HAS to be looked at as a lifestyle change. There is no going back to "normal" eating, this is your normal eating now. You can cheat, but you always keep in mind everything a cheat day entails.

^this^
    Go for it! The data shows that low carbohydrate approaches are both SAFE and EFFECTIVE, despite the uniformed rants to the contrary. Just follow Atkins book recommendations and I am confident you will see success. If you can step away from the simple carbs for the induction period, you will find that your cravings for carbohydrates will resolve. And there is no physiologic need for carbohyrate to be eaten. The human body can generate any carbohydrates it needs from other nutrient sources.I am not personally an Atkins fan, but know it can work for dedicated low carb'ers

^and this^
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options
    You will get a lot of mixed feeling on this topic. As for me, I did Atkins several different times- and when i was working at it, it works great! I lost tons of weight and pretty quickly. I was never hungry and usually felt satisfied. That being said, why am I back at MFP? Because eventually I wanted a mojito at a summer party, or bread with dinner, or a piece of cake- that lead to more carbs, etc, and eventually, I gained it all back- and I'm not talking about piggin out either. Once you start eating carbs again- even for a few days, you will gain several lbs back.

This time around, I have decided to go the old fashioned "calories in/calories out", exercise, healthy and balanced route. Well, I sort of "fell off the wagon" the past 3 1/2 weeks- not being careful - having several splurges- still working out though- guess what? I did not gain one single lb.

This was proof to me that this is the way to go. It was amazing to know that the weight I lost was real weight and not gimmicky- and that just smelling ice cream won't make me gain 5 lbs...

Those 5lbs you gained were a result of water weight. For the same reason you get those 5-6 lb loss in the first couple days is the same reason you will pack 5-6 lbs back on when you binge on carbs. For each gram carb you eat it requires 3 grams of water. Add 300 extra carbs in your diet and that is a few lbs right there. Go back to eating lower carbs and those pounds will drop off in a day or two.
  • martinah4
    Options

Those 5lbs you gained were a result of water weight. For the same reason you get those 5-6 lb loss in the first couple days is the same reason you will pack 5-6 lbs back on when you binge on carbs. For each gram carb you eat it requires 3 grams of water. Add 300 extra carbs in your diet and that is a few lbs right there. Go back to eating lower carbs and those pounds will drop off in a day or two.

True..and nice profile pic, BTW!
  • martinah4
    Options

True..and nice profile pic, BTW!
  • robynnatasha
    Options
    Wow a lot to think about! I guess everyone is different & it works for some & not others! I still want to try it out and will report back!
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    All of you wonderful Low Carb people, we have a group set up for you!
    Come over to: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/273-la-vida-low-carb
  • Nikkiham520
    Nikkiham520 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! Thank you so much for letting me know how bad lean meats and veggies are for me! And here I was thinking that the increased energy and performance during my runs, clear skin, weight loss, overall sense of well being was GOOD for me. I seriously would have continued down this path of self ruin if it weren't for you wonderful people!! ***Kneeling and bowing head to you***
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Eggs seems a good option for breakfast. Either boiled which are easily portable or omelettes made in advance and quickly reheated in the microwave and would offer more variety.

There are Atkins approved low carb wraps that could be used for breakfast burritos. For lunch, I'd suggest bringing leftovers from dinner since you have a microwave. That way you get variety with little thought or planning.
  • robynnatasha
    Options
    I'll look into the wraps! They sound pretty good! Been eating a lot of eggs & veg, yum:)