As you get closer to your goal weight...

Options
I remember reading that as you get closer to your goal weight it's good to up your calories. How close to your goal weight do you typically do this? To get to my goal (or goal wight for now) I have around 12ish pounds to lose. I currently have my weight loss goal per week to a pound a week. I figured as I get closer I would change it to lose a half a pound a week, but I'm not quite sure when exactly would be the best time to do this, if there is a best time to do it. Those who are at their goal weight, did you up your calories and if so when/how close to your goal weight?

Thanks so much!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I changed my weight loss to 1/2lb when i was 4 pounds from goal.
  • lcs1211
    lcs1211 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Still have 5 - 8 pounds I want to lose, but two weeks ago I changed my goal to .5 lb week and am starting to see a small decline in weight (I had been fluctuating with 1 to 2 lbs before I changed my goal). I do eat almost all exercise calories, so I am now eating about 2000 calories a day (that is including exercise).
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I did that change around 4 - 5 lbs from goal. :flowerforyou:
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    bump. My .5 lb. week is set at 1,560 calories. Is that enough?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    It is best to up your calories as you get close so you can get used to eating more. It really does take a while to get used to eating hundreds of calories more per day. If you went from a 1 lb/week loss then suddenly maintenance, you now have an extra 500 calories a day, which is a lot to have suddenly thrust upon you. It is easy to work 500 calories of junk in your daily diet but a lot harder to fill those calories up with good healthy foods!

I plateaued for months when I had 15 pounds left to lose. I upped my calories to a 0.5 lb/week loss at that point and the scale started moving again, so I probably started upping calories earlier than most people would. However, I am in plateau #2 and only 2 pounds (!) from goal, so I don't think I represent the typical person. I am currently eating what MFP considers "maintenance" however I believe this number is too low for me. Again, by upping your calories slowly, you can figure out where maintenance is before you get to the point where you are losing too much weight. MFP's numbers are guidelines only, and as I am finding out, they aren't exactly accurate for everyone. At least in my experience, I need to play around with them a bit to find out where I need to be.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I plateaued for months when I had 15 pounds left to lose. I upped my calories to a 0.5 lb/week loss at that point and the scale started moving again, so I probably started upping calories earlier than most people would. However, I am in plateau #2 and only 2 pounds (!) from goal, so I don't think I represent the typical person. I am currently eating what MFP considers "maintenance" however I believe this number is too low for me. Again, by upping your calories slowly, you can figure out where maintenance is before you get to the point where you are losing too much weight. MFP's numbers are guidelines only, and as I am finding out, they aren't exactly accurate for everyone. At least in my experience, I need to play around with them a bit to find out where I need to be.

MFP has my maintenance as 1600, but i am currently NETTING about 1800 - which means eating about 2000cals, so I agree with you about the numbers being guidelines, you have to work out what your body needs and play around with the numbers for a good few weeks to find your level.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I had to lower calories to keep things moving
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    No, I did not increase my calories. I went with my gut instinct and lowered them because it was only 4 pounds. I eased into the maintenance and it WAS hard to increase my calories. I have been increasing my calories in 200 calorie steps. I have to figure out what works for MY body. I no longer care about the number on the scale. I care about inches, my measurements. I believe that is the TRUE story of success or not. I believe that you have to move it to lose it and you also have to move it to maintain it. No weight gain whatsoever so far.