5'3" ladies: at what weight could you begin to see muscle de

Options
Hello!

I know this a pretty specific question but I am hoping someone can relate. I am 5'3" and currently weigh around 121 lbs. My goal weight is 115. I'm hoping once I get to that goal weight I can form a new goal of becoming more toned. From what I've read you need to have very little fat in order to really see muscle definition i.e. appear toned. My question is; if you are around or close to this height as what weight were you able to really see results from strength training? I do think strength training is important no matter what my weight is, I am just curious and want to have realistic expectations for what I can make my body look like.

Thanks for any thoughts
meagan

Replies

• msjac23
    msjac23 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 4" , I currently weight train 3 days a week. My weight is in the 150"s, I have muscle definition in my arms, back, and shoulders.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Im around your height and the same weight.

It completely depends on the individual and body composition. Do you know your body fat percentage? 18% and you will look "tone" at 15-16% you will look very athletic, defined, with abs.

Everyone should be strength training. It has many many benefits especially to women in preventing osteoporosis and such.

Will also help you maintain lean muscle mass and prevent "skinnyfat"
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 1/2 and currently weigh 154, and I can see definite muscle definition in my arms. However, I do tend to bulk up in muscle more than most other women I know. I guess it depends on where you want to see the muscle definition. I know that even at my lowest adult weight (118 back in my late 20s), I still had a bit of a flabby tummy. Now at near 40, and after having 2 kids, I don't think I'll ever see muscle definition there.
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Its not about how much you weigh to seem toned. In order to see muscle you must burn fat. If you have a high fat % but you weigh 110lbs you wont look toned. If you have low fat% but weigh 130 you will look ripped. I think strength training is so important. I can not loose weight just doing cardio I rely hard on strength training.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    It depends on how often you weight train :) I suggest adding pilates a couple times a week.. You will see results from that in a couple weeks :) Pilates is easy enough to do on the days you don't train. Good luck You should be seeing results in no time :)
  • delong99
    delong99 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is as much a matter of your weight, but more how toned you are. Muscle tone takes a while. I'm 5'2" and around 118. I have muscle tone in my arms and legs, with strength training/body sculpt class 2x a week for about a year. It was probably six months before I saw some tone that you could see without flexing. My stomach - forget about it, but that is because I'm 42 and had a kid.

So if you do strength training several times a week, along with some cardio to burn calories, you'll probably see tone start in a couple of months!
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    I'm not 5'3" but maybe this will be enlightening...definition does have to do with strength training and fat but those things are not as directly related to weight as you may think. Two people can have the same weight and different body fat levels and be completely different. If you are shooting for tone then weight training is great...but don't focus on the scale! Have a trainer use calipers or you can get an handheld to use at home (I have an omron).

See here: http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options

It completely depends on the individual and body composition. Do you know your body fat percentage? 18% and you will look "tone" at 15-16% you will look very athletic, defined, with abs.

Everyone should be strength training. It has many many benefits especially to women in preventing osteoporosis and such.

^^ This. Plus I don't know what your protein goal is but to preserve muscle, its recommended that you get at least 1 g of protein for each 1lb of LBM. if you don't know your body fat %, shoot for 1 g of protein for each 1lb of body weight.
  • koyongi
    koyongi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how much muscle you have. If you're in the 120s and still don't see definition, get yourself to the local weight room ASAP! Personally, at 5'2", I carry a LOT of muscle, so I had definition at 140 at around 24%BF. At 130 and 19%, I've got a full-on six pack.

If definition is what you're looking for, I'd recommend not worrying about your goal weight for a bit, upping your protein intake, and doing some heavy lifting. If you're dieting strictly and doing a lot of cardio, your muscle mass is probably going away along with your fat, so it's going to take longer to see definition, if you ever get to that point. If you put on muscle, you'll get a little heavier, but it will also help you lose fat in the long run, and it will produce way better results in the "definition" category.

(For reference, a lot of the women that compete in figure at your height will step on stage at at least 120. It's just a matter of having the muscle there when the fat is gone!)
  • mmocarr
    mmocarr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful thoughts I wouldn't have thought that a super toned looked was possible at this weight but Im happy to know it is.

I do currently have a fair amount of muscle ( I think) Ive been weight training for about a year but I think it has been stalled by all the running I do.

Right now Im not in the gym due to some health issues but when I do get back, I plan on taking a look at all this especially increasing my protein intake and lifting heavier.

Thanks again
  • mfpseven
    mfpseven Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    at 115, you should be able to see the def in your arms and legs quite well, it will take some work but you can get your abs to come thru as well.
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful thoughts I wouldn't have thought that a super toned looked was possible at this weight but Im happy to know it is.

I do currently have a fair amount of muscle ( I think) Ive been weight training for about a year but I think it has been stalled by all the running I do.

Right now Im not in the gym due to some health issues but when I do get back, I plan on taking a look at all this especially increasing my protein intake and lifting heavier.

Thanks again

Think about body building women. 160 and ripped isn't uncommon :]

I would cut down on the running honestly if it is stalling your progress.

Remember it takes a calorie surplus to actually start putting on mass, and it is a very slow process with a lot of work
  • mmocarr
    mmocarr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm not 5'3" but maybe this will be enlightening...definition does have to do with strength training and fat but those things are not as directly related to weight as you may think. Two people can have the same weight and different body fat levels and be completely different. If you are shooting for tone then weight training is great...but don't focus on the scale! Have a trainer use calipers or you can get an handheld to use at home (I have an omron).

See here: http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages
    [/quote

That site had so much good information on it. Thanks for sharing]
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

I have to say no to the "with abs" I know a girl who maintains 14%, and competes, but has NO abs. some people will get them, some wont. Sadly.
    Options
    Generalization of course, no absolutes