Treadmill died - try elliptical?

Options
Treadmill just died. I've never used an elliptical but wondering about it vs a treadmill. I mostly walk and do a little running on the TM. Any thoughts?

Replies

• AandJsMommy
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your treadmill dying. I love mine. I have never tried an elipitical but I would love to. Can't wait to see the answers to this question.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I like them both...If your running, I'd vote another treadmill...if you don't plan on running, then elliptical. Our ellpitical died awhile ago, and we got a treadmill.
  • heidibrown_78
    heidibrown_78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started out using the treadmill and it hurt my ankles. I then moved to the ellipticals and at first it was so hard, but now I only do the elliptical. I really enjoy them and you work up a great sweat.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I prefer the elliptical over the treadmill...always found the treadmill made my hip hurt...no pain with the elliptical. Amazing workout with the elliptical, dripping sweat and all over workout.

Our treadmill is in the basement covered in dust and used to set the mop on to dry.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Don't get the Bowlfex stair tread.
    I think if you get a high end elliptical you can't go wrong.
  • christinehay78
    christinehay78 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. I loved my Treadmill, used it everyday! I purchased an Elliptical in August and really loved it. You can burn a lot of cals especially if you have one with different resistance levels.
    Be careful though...if you don't have proper posture on the elliptical you can cause stress and injury to your joints. I had alot of problems with my left hip about a week after starting it & had to lay off it for awhile.
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Personally I prefer the elliptical (I even invested in one) I can get a much better workout (full body). Try it, I bet you will like it!
  • AveryWays
    AveryWays Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I use both but I prefer elliptical machine at the gym. I find I burn more calories when I'm at the elliptical machine but not all elliptical machine are created equal. Elliptical machine offers less stress on your joints. I know with the elliptical machine I use a 30 mins workout for me can range from 350-450 calories versus 30 mins on treadmill which can be 250-380. If I recall the setting on the elliptical machine, you can choose anywhere from cross country skiing to climber? I know it has 9 different levels but for the life of me I can't remember what they are... just so use to pushing the right number :laugh: My suggestion is try them out until you find the right one you like :wink:
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I burn more and hurt less on the elliptical. I tried the treadmill for a while and despite having no previous issues it started making my hip really hurt. Stopped the treadmill and my hip is fine again. I do the elliptical for 50 minutes four to five times a week.
  • jimswife1
    jimswife1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I always used the treadmill, then my plantar fasciitis flared and I had to go see the podiatrist, she said the treadmill was to hard on my feet and joints and that the elliptical was non-jarring, so I switched to the elliptical and would never go back. I burn 700-900 cals with each workout and that is doing 40-50min. When you add the arm function, full body workout. The elliptical has my vote.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I like elliptical machines, I feel they offer a more full body workout. You can get one that uses your arms, and when you have the proper posture you really use your abs and back muscles to stay balanced.
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I used to use the treadmill all the time, but after I jacked up my lower back on the racquetball court, running was outta the question for a while. The constant pounding was far too painful. So, I switched to the elliptical.

At first, it was tough for me. I don't know if it was just because I was standing wrong, because I wasn't relaxing, or that my body just wasn't used to it, but I couldn't last two minutes on the thing before my knees got too tired to continue. Not sore, but just tired. It took several attempts over a couple of weeks to be able to push through that.

Once I got past it, and my knees weren't feeling tired anymore, I learned to LOVE the elliptical. I use it at least four days a week and have gotten great burns from it. Hell, I'm down 23 pounds over the past 9.5 weeks, so it's gotta be helping some! :) Even though my weight is down and getting closer to trying to run again, I'll still stick with the elliptical. No impact, smooth movement, and a great burn.

Best of luck! :)
  • Missmaggieann
    Missmaggieann Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have an elliptical and love it. I never liked treadmills (or running) the pounding on my joints was too much, there is less impact on the elliptical. I have been curious about the tread climbers.
  • SharaLynnG
    SharaLynnG Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Personally, I love using the elliptical. They SAY that you burn more calories on an elliptical, but personally I think I burn more running since it is way harder for me. Other reasons that I prefer the elliptical: It's easier on the joints, and I've never heard of anyone having a heart attack while on one. When I run, I feel like I might have a MI!