monthly goal question

Options
So gotta question... I have been kinda slacking lately on working out, and in order to keep with my monthly goals I need to be 154# by November 25th. Today I weighed 158#.

I would say that I eat pretty healthy, some things may not be the best but I am almost always under my calorie goal no matter what. Should I keep eating the way I have and exercise like CRAZY or is there certain foods I should start eating in replace of my normal meals?

not really sure what to do or where to turn now...

Is this possible?

Thanks everyone, and have a GREAT friday and weekend!! :)

Replies

• Spliceintuit
    Spliceintuit Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi, without knowing your height and lifestyle. It is possible that your body is in a starvation mode. The reason you can't lose weight on a low cal diet is because your body's metabolism begins to slow down to adjust to the reduced intake. You quickly reach a plateau and you can't lose any more weight! Your body goes into 'starvation' mode and tries to conserve energy, so you simply burn fewer calories.

So sometimes, you have to indulge a bit so your body feels like it is getting fed. Also, you should change your food habit. Try something different. I am not a dietitian or a doctor so I am not giving you advice. But I am in your shoes right now. At 121 lbs, it is harder to even lose .5 lbs. So now I have upped my calories a few different times a week. And I am now exercising (which I did not do before). I do interval training. I also do a 90 Day Challenge. Read my food diary to find out more. I am slowly but surely losing weight.

Good luck to you:)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Why is there a "need" to be that weight in two weeks? Unless you're joining the military or are a wrestler who needs to make weight, or if someone is threatening to cut off your pinky finger if you don't... it's really not that important.

I'm not a fan of deadlines. Our bodies don't care about the timetable our mind has set for it. Focus on the big picture... six months or a year from now, it's not going to matter if you're 157 or 154 on November 25.

Personally, I think *not* reaching a goal is an important lesson in itself. Especially if you know you've been slacking. Missing your goal and feeling bad about it might be just the motivation you need to keep at a steady pace so you're not stuck in a spiral of slacking then punishing yourself for slacking.
  • emilynicole02
    emilynicole02 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 2" . And I put goals in place so that I keep up and don't slack off because this is about the millionth time i have tried losing weight and just never stick to my plan. So that gave me a outline of where I need to be. I just really would like to stick to something for once. I made it by losing one pound per week. I just feel that if I don't make my goals then I am going to slack all the way until my final weight and I don't want to adjust them to my current weight bc I made it easy enough to accomplish so I shouldn't have any excuses not to!
  • sarahdillon08
    Options
    Drink lots and lots and lots of water! It really helps! and eat something small within 30 minutes of waking up to get your metabolism going. To keep your metabolism up throughout the day make sure you are eating something, even if its a small snack (even if its just a couple grapes or something similar) every 3 hours so your metabolism doesn't slow down. I know it sounds like a lot of eating, but try it! I've talked to a lot of people that said it definitely shed the pound off :) 4 pounds in 2 weeks is definitely feasible. 2 pounds a week is still a healthy weight loss. I will also say that doing your weigh in on the day after thanksgiving may not be the smartest idea unless you plan to really stick to your caloric intake on that day. If I were you, I would move the goal back just a couple days so you have time to work off your thanksgiving day feast :) Hope this was helpful and good luck! btw, I also do mini goals to keep me motivated so don't let other peoples responses about that upset you.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Goals and mini goals are fine... I just think it's more important to address *why* we might slack off or fall off the wagon or whatever you want to call it, and avoid doing that in the future, than feel defeated or punish ourselves trying to play catch-up because we're not hitting that goal.

And being flexible about those goals is key, too. Maybe it's because I'm significantly older, but I've accepted that life rarely goes exactly as planned. So I tend to look at things with a broader viewpoint, and ask myself, "Am I doing the right things for my health?" If I'm making good food choices and staying active... I'm doing the right things to reach my ultimate goal of being healthy and strong, and that's what matters, not on what date I reach a goal.