Stop the Diet!????

Options
I am 5´11¨ and weigh 217 pounds. I have lost 33 pounds over the past few months. People in my office today told me to stop the diet that I am at my correct size. That really surprised me because I was thinking I would lose until I hit 190-200 pounds. Hmmmmm.

Replies

• genxrider
    genxrider Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Nobody but you and your doctor should be deciding what your "good size" should be.
  • mirandamatte
    mirandamatte Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    unless you work with dieticians or doctors I would not listen to coworkers. Mine told me I looked like a student instead of a mother because I lost my baby weight...ummm yeah I don't want to be over weight like you so no.. Sorry went off on a rant there.
  • Alyshahmr
    Options
    I agree with the other postings. Sometimes people do not want you to get healthier because we as people are not always nice. If you feel there is room for improvement, go for it and we are here for you.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am 5´11¨ and weigh 217 pounds. I have lost 33 pounds over the past few months. People in my office today told me to stop the diet that I am at my correct size. That really surprised me because I was thinking I would lose until I hit 190-200 pounds. Hmmmmm.

stand in your underwear in front of a full length mirror. if you are happy with what you see, then stop!
  • mojo75
    mojo75 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    people get use to seeing you at a certain weight and when you loose a noticeable amount you look odd to them. You have a goal in mind. Get there and let them get use to the weight loss.
  • cpotter4
    cpotter4 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Instead of just weight, see what your BMI is supposed to be. Are you in a healthy range?
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Overweight people have a warped view of what health looks like. Obviously you have been working hard. No reason to stop until you've reached YOUR goals. And talk to your doctor, they can help you figure out what a healthy weight is.
  • salcala
    Options
    Honestly, it depends on what your diet is. If you diet is watching your calories and hitting all of your food groups then you should always be on it. When it comes to calories, once you hit a particular weight you will just go into maintenance. What kind of diet are you on?
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Honestly most people will tell you to stop losing weight before you have reached your goal - I still have at least 20lbs to go - but I have been told by about 6 people that I should not lose much more weight.

In the end of the day you will know when you have reached your goal - so keep reaching for your goal - in the end of the day most of these people do ot see us without our clothes on - when I can still clearly see the bits that I still need to get rid of....
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options

stand in your underwear in front of a full length mirror. if you are happy with what you see, then stop!

^^ I think that is great advice. I think you should stop and maintain whenever YOU are happy with your size. This is about you and getting healthy, not your coworkers' opinions. Sounds like some people are getting a little jealous. ;)
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I agree - you decide; don't let anyone else decide for you. Most of them don't see you naked. :wink:
  • rockeraxXx
    Options
    Don't stop...Reach your goal. You are doing great...Honestly some people are haters....GOOD LUCK and keep going :drinker:
  • 2_young_2B_old
    2_young_2B_old Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    unless you work with dieticians or doctors I would not listen to coworkers. Mine told me I looked like a student instead of a mother because I lost my baby weight...ummm yeah I don't want to be over weight like you so no.. Sorry went off on a rant there.

EF those Bi***es!

i read that and was baffled. you look great!
  • romping
    romping Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am working a 100 gram carb a day diet with lot´s of veggies, lot´s of protein, some fruit, nuts, whole grains and lots of water. Excercising daily. Eating about 1900 calories a day.

The comment about looking odd is right. I was told that my head has shrunk and my face sucked in.

I stand in front of the mirror and see fat still. The calculators say I should weight 170 pounds. Can´t imagine that though.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other replies. Also, use the BMI calculator under the Tools tab to see where you are. BMI is just one indicator and it has it's flaws (doesn't measure body fat vs. muscle) but it's a good snapshot of fitness if you know you're not solid muscle.
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I got those remarks last time I lost weight. I'm 5'9 and got to 149. The remarks started around 170, and even at 149 I still had a chubby belly, I'm sure I could have gotten to 135 if my head was in the game. Who the hell are they to tell you what YOUR ideal weight is??? They're just jealous!

I just don't understand why people do that! I don't tell skinny people to pack ON the pounds! For me the comments came from people who were even smaller than me... I have to wonder if it was just their competitive insecurities talking.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I think your coworkers were probably used to seeing you a certain way, and you're changing that. Also, they could be trying to give you a compliment by saying what they say.

For perspective sake, I am also 5'11" and in the my current .avi i'm 179lbs. BMI says I'm overweight.

If you've got more muscle mass than I do, then you would probably be at a good weight somewhere in the 185-190 range. If you don't have as much muscle as I do, then you're looking at 165-175 somewhere as a "fit" weight, IMO.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Unless you're overtly obese, people will generally tell you that you don't need to lose weight
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I am so with you, when I joined MFP a couple of weeks ago and told my friends I was going to lose 60 pounds they were like "you're nuts, where is that going to come from", lol, if they only knew how much i really weigh :)
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to anyone else regarding your weight except your Doc, If I did I would have stopped 50 lbs ago. If you can do it and stay healthy and you have the desire, your body is obviously ready now to use it's fat reserves.
    It is hard to get back in to weight loss mode for me, so if it is hard for you too then don't stop till you reach your goal. I found the longer and harder I worked at loosing weight the easier it became for me to make better choices after I was done with loosing weight and went in to maintenance mode.

Weight loss mode: Getting my body to use it's fat reserves.
    Maintenance mode: teaching my body to maintain the current weight I am in.
    I am currently in maintenance mode, and have been for a week after a year and 3 months of weight-loss. I am fluctuating with in 2 lbs of my lowest weight. I am so proud of my self!

Good luck!
    :flowerforyou: