tredmill calories vs. fitness pal calories

Options
2»

Replies

• Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    You should be entering your age and weight into the treadmill to gain accurate calculations. If you're not doing so, then I would go by what MFP says. If you are, then go by the treadmill because it's calculations will be based on your actual HR whereas on here, it's an estimate.

Things like age, height, gender aren't necessary for a treadmill because the treadmill is measuring the actual work you are performing and there is a relatively fixed intensity to all aerobic workloads. HRMs require this data because they use algorithms to guess at calories burned and to try to make the algorithms more accurate requires the input of more data.

So by your reasoning, you're saying a man who is 6'-2" tall and weighs 250 lbs can get on the treadmill and run for 30 minutes at 6 mph and a woman who is 5'-2" tall and weighs 150 lbs and runs on the treadmill for 30 minutes at a 6 mph pace will burn the same calories?
    Give me a BREAK!

No, I am not saying that at all. Reading is a skill. I said, height, age and gender. I did not say "weight".

As Rick Perry would say:: "Ooops".

And, it's not "reasoning". It's Exercise Physiology 101.

I was referring more to the gender aspect of it.
    No need to be ugly and condescending with your snide remark about reading being a skill either.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You should be entering your age and weight into the treadmill to gain accurate calculations. If you're not doing so, then I would go by what MFP says. If you are, then go by the treadmill because it's calculations will be based on your actual HR whereas on here, it's an estimate.

Things like age, height, gender aren't necessary for a treadmill because the treadmill is measuring the actual work you are performing and there is a relatively fixed intensity to all aerobic workloads. HRMs require this data because they use algorithms to guess at calories burned and to try to make the algorithms more accurate requires the input of more data.

So by your reasoning, you're saying a man who is 6'-2" tall and weighs 250 lbs can get on the treadmill and run for 30 minutes at 6 mph and a woman who is 5'-2" tall and weighs 150 lbs and runs on the treadmill for 30 minutes at a 6 mph pace will burn the same calories?
    Give me a BREAK!

No, I am not saying that at all. Reading is a skill. I said, height, age and gender. I did not say "weight".

No need to be ugly and condescending with your snide remark about reading being a skill either.

No need to be snide and use all caps when you didn't understand the comment in the first place. You got the response you deserved with your own lack of civility. .
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options

Give me a BREAK!

No need to be snide and use all caps when you didn't understand the comment in the first place. You got the response you deserved with your own lack of civility. .

OK, so in an attempt to remove myself from the third grade banter we have going, would you agree that a woman and man would burn the same calories for the same work in the same amount of time on a treadmill?
  • findingthethingirlamy
    Options
    I too have a treadmill that does not allow to put your weight and other stats in it, but does give a calories burned reading. My owner's manual states that the calories read out is based on a 150lb person. It's my thinking that the more you weigh, the more calories you are burning. That is why the MFP calories burned number is higher. Because MFP is calculating your current weight and not the weight of a 150lb person. I'm not professional, so I could be wrong, but I think going with MFP count instead of the treadmill may be closer to accurate. Also, not everyone can afford a device that gives off the most accurate readings.
  • bdmundt
    Options
    The calories burned per MFP will be much more accurate than a treadmill that doesn't allow you put in your height, weight, age and doesn't measure your heart rate. The treadmill, MFP, even HRM's all us algorithms to attempt to determine how many calories you burned during a given time period with a given effort.

My treadmill does not allow me to put in any of my personal information and the instruction manual states that the "calories burned" readout on it is based upon a 150lb male. So it's truly just a guess. MFP is one step up as it takes into account your gender, height, weight and age over a given time period and intensity of the workout. IE: you tell MFP how long you worked out and intensity (example: Jogging 6mph for 30 mins)

IMO a heart rate monitor is going to be the most accurate....as long as it's a decent monitor that allows you to put in your gender, age, height and weight. (There cheap monitors out there that don't allow you to enter this and then again, makes assumptions in its algorithms to determine calories burned) A good HRM is the next step up in terms of accuracy from MFP as it's taking in the last variable, your heart rate.

I find that my HRM and MFP are fairly close in calories burned. My treadmill is not even close, a 150lb male will burn a lot less calories over the same effort level then my 220lbs does.
  • angelakayerickson
    Options
    Thank you all for the great insight...I am going to go with MFP for right now and purchase something in the future for more accuracy...I dont eat my exercise calories anyway, I just wanted to know why there was such a big difference, and yes the preset of a 150 lb male would make total sense since that is my husband and we burn the same calories.....I cannot enter anything in my tredmill (gold gyms old ones, they ordered the new ones).....So thanks again for all the info.....I found it very interesting that a man burns more calories than woman if they do the same workout....I would think since I have Fat to lose he would be creating muscle and I should be the one losing weight hahaha........Shows what I know hu?