Eating only half your workout calories back?

Options
About a couple of months ago, I changed my calorie goals from 2 pounds to 1 pound. My net calories were constantly under 1200 (in average between 1000-1150) and it stopped the weight loss progress. So I changed it to 1 pound, which my net calorie goal is now up to 1800 a day. I manage to eat and exercise until I hit only 1200-1250 net calories. Got plenty of success with that. Does anyone manage to eat half or at least 75% of your workout calories back and still lose the weight without going under your necessary net calories?

Replies

• getfit618
    getfit618 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i went way under my calories one week just because i wasnt hungry- ended up gaining. This week i have eating within 100 cals of my 1200 calorie goal and ive already lost 1.5 lbs! so yes!

do what your body needs- not what calories tell you!
  • inagadda1976
    Options
    Weird, I went from 2 pounds 2 1 pounds and the site reduced my calories by about 100 lol. I usually do eat most of my exercise calories back and still lose at least a pound a week
  • SmallerBecky
    Options
    I pretty much eat my exercise calories back all the time. I decided to set my goal at 1600 NET calories a day but then I work out and burn about 400 calories almost every day so I usually end up eating about 2000 calories (NETTING 1600 by the end of the day). But then some days, I don't eat them back. Some days I am around 1200 NET and other days I eat MORE and have an overage of about 300...and I am losing about a pound to a pound and a half a week. I am a true believer in zig-zagging calories. I just am not following a specific zig-zag schedule anymore. Some days more, some days less, 1600 is my average. Simple as that!
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have to keep my net calories below 1200 to lose any weight. The only way I can do that without wanting to die is to exercise. I eat back 50-75% of my calories from exercise. I lose a little under a lb a week. Because I eat really healthy (usually!!!) My nutrient levels are always pretty bang on or high. I plan on eating at maintenance once I lose the stubborn last ten. I will have to figure out what maintenance is. Before anyone points out that my net is low....I am only five two and very petite build. I do eat back a lot more the days I do weights. But still eating super healthy....or as healthy as I can.
  • BeeRod527
    Options
    I've been losing 1.5-2 pounds a week again so it's all good. I just want to lose the weight slow and steady.

Also on rest days, I usually eat my net calories between 1500-1600. So I eat more net calories on those days.
  • kyliecakes0405
    kyliecakes0405 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to see what people say. I'm currently testing my body this week to see how my weight is affected if I don't eat back my calorie burn.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    I don't eat my workout calories back. As long as I'm eating around 13-1500 calories a day, I don't worry about the exercise calories, no matter how many I burn. If I have the mindset that I "have" to eat my exercise calories, I'll overindulge. I'd rather save the calorie deficit for a cheat meal on the weekend or something.
  • BeeRod527
    Options
    I don't eat my workout calories back. As long as I'm eating around 13-1500 calories a day, I don't worry about the exercise calories, no matter how many I burn. If I have the mindset that I "have" to eat my exercise calories, I'll overindulge. I'd rather save the calorie deficit for a cheat meal on the weekend or something.

If anything, I usually save the "overindulging" days on a day in which I burn more than enough calories. On those days, I'll leave about 200 calories on the table. But since I burn around 500 calories during gym days I tend to leave 500 calories (or 1200 net calories) on the table.
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Seems to me that you were not eating all your exercise calories back and you were not losing weight, so you increased your calories, then continued to not eat all your exercise calories back, but now you are eating the same amount you should have been eating before, if you had just eaten your exercise calories back as recommended in the first place. So why insist on not eating all your exercise calories back?
  • BeeRod527
    Options
    Seems to me that you were not eating all your exercise calories back and you were not losing weight, so you increased your calories, then continued to not eat all your exercise calories back, but now you are eating the same amount you should have been eating before, if you had just eaten your exercise calories back as recommended in the first place. So why insist on not eating all your exercise calories back?

I simply said I wasn't when I set my calorie goal to 2 pounds and constantly around the 1000-1150 net calorie range daily in fears of going over my calorie goal. I changed to 1 pound a week so that way I can get hit my net calories at over 1200 calories a day. I've been hitting 1200 net calories (and sometimes more on rest days) every single time since then and losing the weight slowly by eating 50-75% of my exercise calories back. I want to lose between 1-2 pounds a week, not 10 pounds.

Besides, I have a lot to lose. It's not like I'm 140 pounds and wanna go down to 100.

With exercise, my overall calorie intake ranges between 1700-2200 calories a day. It's not like I'm eating little to the point my net calories is -500 a day.
  • BeeRod527
    Options
    BUMPing it because it seems the person above me didn't get my message
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    As long as you are netting between 1100-1200 calories a day you should be fine it does not matter what percentage of exercise calories you do or don't eat its the net that matters...however always take into account that whatever level you set..if you stay at the same net for long enough you body will get 'used' to it and 'plateau' so it certainly helps to 'mix it up' a bit.
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    This is also brilliant and will answer your question better than I can

http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/