P90X....weights or bands...

Hello! I am new to P90X and while I love it I was wondering what people's experiences are with both. Currently I am using the weights but I travel for work so I brought the bands this week. I wanted know how some of you progressed with them so I Can make a decision as to which is right for me. I like them both.

Replies

• I perfer the bands.. I purchased them from Academy and they work for me.. Good Luck
  • mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Perfer the bands as well.... Just recently purchased free weights, that I use for some of the arm work outs... But bands are perfect, and you can change the intensity with the bands
  • prestonmay
    prestonmay Posts: 107 Member
    weights..... BUT I would recommend Insanity over p90 --- did both---- p90 uses too many tools. Insanity will give you similar results in less time.... Most women like the Insanity over p90 IMO
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    I used the weights only for the lifting parts and used the over-the-door style resistance bands in place of a pull-up bar. I lost 17 lbs. all total and finished p90x on Oct 19th. I'm in dramatically better shape!
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Because I have limited space I used bands and got good results.if you do bands make sure they are quality, I also got mine from academy.. I had some bad ones before and they didnt have enough resistance to be effective
  • I prefer the weights. But I have heard the bands are good.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    I find that the weights are much better in terms of being able to track progress...plus I am not coordinated enough to get the bands exactly how I like them for proper resistance. Weights are expensive...especially as you progress, but I find that I can't do P90X without them...and unfortunately, I travel...I've been known to lug over 300 pounds of free weights in my car when I hit the road. I get additional workouts from loading/unloading/unloading again and loading again...LOL.
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    I have done 1 round with band and 1 round with weights. Personally I liked using the weights, but I took my bands when I traveled and it made it very convient. So there is a benefit to using both. Good luck!
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    I much prefer dumbbells over bands for P90X. I've tried both and just prefer the weights. The problem now is that I need bigger dumbbells (35, 40, 45) and they get expensive at that weight.
  • I've done 2 rounds of P90x and just started my third round this week. I prefer the weights as well. I feel that you get resistance in the full range of motion over the bands (example: closer you get to the starting position with the band, the resistance drops significantly)

Also I'm downright scared of the bands! ;) About 3 years ago, I was doing rows with a band that was attached to what I thought was a closed and locked door....turns out it wasn't. The door opened when I was all the way back in the row and the door anchor shot back and got me right in the chest!!! I had an 2 inch egg welt on my chest for a week!!!
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    I (and my husband also) much prefer the weights, not a band fan. But if your space , budget or schedule creates limits - then bands may be better. And they can work well.

I disagree "most women would prefer Insanity"

It depends on what you want. And where your body is. And your information level.

Insanity certainly can/does give weight loss, and fat loss. But one may also sacrifice muscle, which is not really the better option.

I want good muscle tightness, "tone" and building, with some cardo, and endurance in the mix, which gives me good "fat" loss - and a tight lean cut look. I don't want to loss just pound weight, as that may be muscle, as well as fat. Thats not my goal at all. Weight loss can be deceiving - I don't want to be skinny but fat. I want tight, lean, inch loss and less fat, all over. :)

With P90x I feel I have much more potential to improve my body all over, by increasing my weights, with lower reps - to better enhance over all muscle improvement. I also find I get faster "fat" loss, body fat percentage drop, using heavier weights, as opposed to mainly cardio. P90X emphasis cardio, strength and endurance all together. More rounded program IMO.

Insanity is higher cardio, and endurance emphasis, over strength- which is not what I want. Also harder on the knees, not something I want. I also and not a Shawn T fan. :) But that's just personal trainer preference. But for those who want more cardio, and body weight resistance style training, this does that.

This I think gives good comparisons of both programs:

http://www.acefitness.org/certifiednewsarticle/1443/p90x-insanity-and-rushfit-a-side-by-side

Also Stacys story on Cardio only vs adding in heavy weights.

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Ultimately it really come to your goal and needs. And certainly, everyone has a program that "clicks" better with them. So you do need to do what works bets for you, and enables you to enjoy your workout - and meet your goals.

I do agree, the equipment issues with P90X, can make it less appealing to many,including women. Many are a bit scared about the program perceptions. And the cost for equipment is a valid concern. But bands are a great start off point. And one can invest in iron later, a pair at a time, as needed - if they desire. Garage sales, second hands stores, Craigs list are all good sources.

And it is not a typical "girl" type workout. So if thats the criteria the statement "most women would prefer Insanity" is based on - yes that's correct.

But if its based on - "most women will get better results from Insanity" thats incorrect.

The P90x workout includes many women on the DVDs, they are working just as hard as the men, and look terrific doing so. :)
    Building muscle, or even improving the muscle you have, raises your resting metabolism, which helps fat burning all day.

Cardio only raises it during the workout and for an hour or so after.

I have done P90X many times, and excellent results every time. I have also done some of Shawn Ts programs, though not insanity - though I am familiar with it. And for me, the results are there, but not as good. Though I know many love Insanity, and for them its gives amazing results.

Whenever I switch to another routine, with less weight lifting, or lighter weights - no matter how good a plan - I ALWAYS see loss of muscle tone, cut ness, and density. And those are things I want to have/keep.

Many women want the tight body, cut sculpted look. Though not all - thats true.

I just hate to see one discount P90X outright for "most" women. I don't really feel that's accurate at all. And those who have never tried it, may never bother, after hearing "most women" are not a fan.

Though that may not at all be what was meant - I can see how thats what can easily be perceived, but one just starting out - trying to find programs that suit them.

I feel, accurate information for "most women" or men, for that matter, about what a program can and cannot do - and requirements of each is better able to help them make an informed decision.

I think it is one more, in many good programs, that one can possibly add to their arsenal based on their unique needs, and body goals. :)

Peace
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    I'm in the last phase of my first round of P90X. I've used weights all the way, mainly because I had weights to begin with. I haven't tried the bands but I can see how each has its benefits.

Bands are cheap! I could get a set of bands for about £30 that would last me the program. My weight collection probably cost me about £300 over the years, plus 2 yoga mats at £8 each, yoga blocks, pushup bars, pullup bar, yada yada...

Somebody mentioned that the bands give you less resistance at the bottom, but at the same time, you can pull with your body and cheat gravity with weights - the only resistance is directly down, it's easier if you're pulling a little diagonally with bad form - whereas bands are only pulling against your body weight so you can't cheat them as much..

Bands also travel well.

I haven't done insanity, and I'm not sure I will. I'm not massively up on cardio to be honest, I find lifting works double whammy by building muscle and making me sweaty/out of breath at the same time. I can see the plus points for time limited folk though - 60 days vs 90 days. 75 minute average vs 45 minute average.

Although I do really want that T-shirt... Maybe it's worth 60 days of my life for a sweet tee! :tongue:

Jay
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Weights. I returned the bands (Black Mountain brand) I bought from Amazon. They just put too much pressure on my neck and shoulders.
  • FitFabDiva67
    FitFabDiva67 Posts: 9 Member
    Weights worked great for me when I completed P90 X last yr.
  • FitFabDiva67
    FitFabDiva67 Posts: 9 Member
    I'll have to agree. I ordered Insanity as a follow on to P90X when i completed it. I really didn't like it and ended up selling it to a coworker who loved it! She just ran her best Marathon to date, so go figure! I found insanityn had way too much jumping around for my knees, and with P90X I had a sculpted look which I'm striving to regain now, definitely non bulky or anything over the top. Without weights in my regimen I tend to not get the results I want.