Vegetarian Weight Loss!

Options
I posted this question on Yahoo Answers, and wanted to post it on here as well as maybe some people would have suggestions for me =)

Hi all. I have been on a weight loss journey since September 30th, 2011. In the month of October, I lost a total of 6 lbs with counting calories and exercising on a regular basis. While doing this, I used MyFitnessPal.com, which tallied up how many calories I burned in a day, and helped me keep track of how many calories I ate and how many I had left for the day, etc. It's been great for me so far, except that I my weight has not budged for the past 11 days. I actually gained .4 lbs and I've been at the same weight for a week when I was usually losing at least .2 lbs to a lb a week before. Here is what I was doing for the first month:

I walk dogs for a living, so I walk to and from the clients home which typically takes me an hour to do [to and from] and burns 711 calories of speed walking in one day. I do this from Tuesday-Friday and rest Saturday through Monday. As far as calories, my calorie intake for me to lose a lb to 2 lbs a week is at 1,200 calories a day. I typically eat about 1,200 calories a day [give or take], but my exercise usually puts me up at 1,900 calories to eat in a day.

Anyway, I am completely going to switch it up! I'm going to weigh myself on Sunday and I am going to start a whole new weight loss journey on Monday morning. No more cheat days, no more resting days. Since I AM a Vegetarian [I don't really eat that many eggs, and I have rarely eaten any cheese in the past couple of days], are there any guidelines that I should follow to burning more fat efficiently? I'm pretty sure I know what I'm going to do for exercise, but the eating part is what is getting to me. What do you guys think? Any suggestions, tips, etc would be extremely helpful. Thanks!

P.S. Sorry for this being so long.

Replies

• NaturalinCO
    NaturalinCO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I think this past month garnered HUGE loss because I kept an eye on my intake of protein. That and I watch my sodium intake. Be sure to get plenty of good green veggies in every day, and beans have helped me keep my protein intake high. Really, other than that, I don't think losing weight as a vegetarian is too much different from anyone else - we just have to be SURE we're getting good quality protein in every day.

Good luck on your journey!
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I typically eat about 1,200 calories a day [give or take], but my exercise usually puts me up at 1,900 calories to eat in a day.

Sorry, do you mean you're eating your exercise calories or not?
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Ok stop there........I think i have sussed out your problem, How are you measuring the amount of calories you are burning as i think you will find that there is no way you are burning 711 by speed walking....... do not trust the heart rate monitors or gym machines to tell you calories burnt or the MFP estimates...........because everyone burns calories at different rates.

I should think you are burning a lot loss than you think.......even 50% less......then if you are eating back your exercise calories you will be eating to much !

Buy a bodybugg or ki fit to accurately tell you how many calories you are burning for certain exercise they are accurate up to 2% !