Protein Counter

Options
Hi guys,

I've always been a big meat eater. I'm from Idaho. It's almost like a second Texas in regard to meat eating. That's not to say I don't like veggies, but I find myself eating meat more often.

What is the science and all that behind the protein counter in the food diary. I was just putting in my food for the day and went over in protein (again).

Also, does anyone have any ideas for food options that don't contain a lot of protein (and that actually taste good?)

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Protein is a macronutrient and you really don't need to worry about going "over" in your protein allotment, unless it is causing you to be deficient in your fat intake.
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    bump, i just posted a topic about this like a min ago. I was reading online today that protein slows down the absorption of sugars, so that is a plus right:d
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Protein is a good thing. You should consider MFP's "goal" as a minimum that you should try to reach each day, rather than a maximum you shouldn't go over. If any of the following applies to you, you may even want to increase your personal protein settings.

1. The MFP guidelines for protein are based on the US RDA, but those are designed for people just trying to maintain their bodies. People have learned that if you're trying to lose weight, the MFP guideline for protein intake is too low.

2. Protein is one of the most useful things you can eat. It is what your hair, nails, and most importantly, muscles are made of. If you're stressing your muscles by working out, you should be eating more protein so your body can repair them.

3. In addition to building things, protein is also used by your body as fuel. The amino acids from protein are a necessary part of the chemical reaction that burns fat in your body. So, again, if you're trying to lose weight by burning fat, you need to make sure & eat plenty of protein. If you don't, your body will take that protein from your muscles and you'll lose both fat & muscle.

4. Many people have some sort of metabolic condition (diabetes, insulin sensitivity, PCOS, hypoglycemia, etc) that makes them limit their carbohydrate intake. These people will usually try to get their energy calories from protein instead.

It is up to you to decide whether you fall into any of these categories & think you might need more protein in your diet.
  • coltrane23
    coltrane23 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm eating Primal/Paleo and lifting 3x a week. I'm trying to get leaner by lifting weights, which means lots of protein and (healthy) fats to feed the machine. As such, I can't get enough protein and fat. I adjusted my macronutrient goals to be 40/40/20 for protein/fat/carbs. The default settings are far too low for me on protein and fats, and not low enough on carbs. So I'm trying to consume 220g of protein a day right now while keeping carbs below 100g a day, regardless of calories.

YMMV. It depends on your exercise routine, I suppose. But I wouldn't worry about overeating protein. You're likely to be stuffed before you overeat on proteins and fats.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    answer to the 2nd question - tacos. less protein in tacos. it's proven.
  • beccasplan
    Options
    Wow! I didn't expect such in-depth and insightful responses to come so quickly! You guys are awesome! Thanks a lot!