Not Eating Enough??

Options
Hi everyone I am relatively new to MFP, and I LOVE IT lol i have been on the site everyday and I read alot of threads and anyway I have found a ton of people saying that us low calorie folk arent eating enough to lose. so i want people input here I want to lose quickly yet still healthy so here we go, thoughts on if u think this is enough that would be great

Female 5'8 245 pounds...goal 145
Activity: Sedentary
MFP suggested 1380 net

Does this seem like enough to everyone? Im not really hungry because I try to eat good foods that keep me full

Thanks!!

Replies

• kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    that sounds fine to me, but i don't really know much about whats appropriate. i eat 1200 a day and i always feel fine and when i stick to it i definitely see results, the problem for me happens if i cave in once and it takes me an entire week to get back to where i was
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You and I are on similar calories. I'm on 1280 so I can lose 2 lbs per week. Be sure to eat all of your regular calories so your body doesn't go into starvation mode and burn less. I eat a lot of healthy snacks throughout the day and at the end if I'm under my calories, I eat almond butter on pretzels to get me to my daily goal. I hope this helps. You can do this and there's lots of good support here :)
  • kellylara93
    Options
    I often get told that, but Im so impatient, i always want to see results fast!

MFP has suggested 1470 cal per day for me, however, i stay below 800 on most days, and only on some days do i go over that.

Although, days like today, I get so busy and stressed, ihardley eat at all and end up only consuming about 200 cals.

However I say, if you have something that works for you, then you may as well stick to it :)
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Options
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Options
    Ditto! I try really hard not to go over or the pounds stick like glue! I don't eat my exercise calories, that's the bonus for me to burn more than I earn :)
  • Stevenssan1972
    Options
    I've been doing using MFP since July 2011. I weighed 252 when I starated and it told me to eat 1270 calories a day. I've lost 46 pounds in 5 months (roughly 10 pounds a month / 2 pounds a week) which I feel is very healthy. It reduced my calories to 1200 about 2 months ago and I never feel hungry. Good luck on your journey! Remember if you fall off the track one day, just get back on the next! It does work!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

MFP has suggested 1470 cal per day for me, however, i stay below 800 on most days, and only on some days do i go over that.

Although, days like today, I get so busy and stressed, ihardley eat at all and end up only consuming about 200 cals.

However I say, if you have something that works for you, then you may as well stick to it :)

Please don't do this. This is the best way to make yourself ill, not to make yourself lose weight. You can't force your body into submission. And people who seem to try don't really seem to lose weight any faster.
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Options

You only eat 800 calories a day? That isn't healthy and it isn't safe. Being impatient will only lead you to gain it back and more. Trust me, I've been there and 100 lbs later, I learned that lesson!
  • bhaktinstella
    bhaktinstella Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i agree, i don't, or try not to, eat my exercise calories, but i found i lost more quickly eating all the 1200 recommended, rather than going for 900. under 800 and i get dizzy!
  • LolaOndine
    Options
    @kellylara93 The whole point of MFP is to keep you sensible. What's the point of coming on here if you are just going to eat as little as possible. That is not healthy.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone I am relatively new to MFP, and I LOVE IT lol i have been on the site everyday and I read alot of threads and anyway I have found a ton of people saying that us low calorie folk arent eating enough to lose. so i want people input here I want to lose quickly yet still healthy so here we go, thoughts on if u think this is enough that would be great

Female 5'8 245 pounds...goal 145
    Activity: Sedentary
    MFP suggested 1380 net

Does this seem like enough to everyone? Im not really hungry because I try to eat good foods that keep me full

Thanks!!
    It would take 2400 calories for you to maintain your current weight, so 1380 net would put you right around 2 pounds a week (1000 calorie per day deficit) which is healthy for someone with your weight loss goal. Net means that if you do exercise, those calories are added into your daily goal to maintain your 1000 calorie per day deficit. Having a low calorie goal in and of itself is not a bad thing; the problem people cause for themselves is when they have a low calorie goal AND exercise a lot AND don't 'eat back' those calories. If your net calories are too low you can begin to hamper your weight loss efforts because it's too much of a shock to your metabolism and your body tries to compensate by slowing your metabolism down. Staying at 1380 NET is perfectly fine though.

Do note that as you get closer to your goal weight you will probably not be able to maintain a 2-pound per week loss. You should probably drop to 1 pound per week when you are about 30-40 pounds away from your goal, and half a pound per week when you are 15-20 pounds away from your goal. Eating back your exercise calories becomes more and more important the closer you get to your goal weight.
  • Stevenssan1972
    Options
    I don't eat my exercise calaores either. I feel that they are a bonus! :)

9463560.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Agree. I've stayed thin before on under 1,000. I truly believe I have damaged my metabolism as a result. Not being critical, but I'm finding friends are losing much better than I am believe this is the reason.
  • LolaOndine
    Options
    I always eat back at least some of my exercise calories. I find that I am more hungry on workout days, so that show me my body is sending and my mind is receiving the right signals.
  • heisenbergZZ
    Options
    I don't recommend 800 only!!! IMO, I would eat at the very least 1000-1200 cal per day, and exercise more if necessary.

I worry it might lead to "binges", and that can erase all the hard effort of keeping <800.
  • inspirem
    inspirem Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I think that amount of calories is reasonable, but you must also be aware of what kinds of foods you are eating...being healthy involves not only being at a recommended weight but also what type of things you are putting in your body. We need certain nutrients to maintain a balanced healthy lifestyle. If you only worry about how many calories you are consuming and not what type of foods you're eating you can be extremely unhealthy! For instance, if you eat nothing but chips, soda, and candybars but stay within your calorie range you will soon be sick, Why? Because all those foods are loaded with refined sugars, fats, sodium, and highly processed crap. Stick with whole foods, such as fresh veggies, fresh fruits, buy and eat organic meat when you can, and make sure you are eating proper portions. Track, Track, Track! So important even if you go way over your daily calorie goal, don't be afraid to track because you need that visual of what you are putting into your body...! Don't give up, Don't give in! Everyday is a new day! You can do it!
  • heisenbergZZ
    Options
    I would say, worry less about "how quick" you lose the weight, and more about consistency. "Slow and steady wins the race."

But you MUST, MUST be honest. No matter what, continue to record everything you eat.
    Find a target that you can continue to hit in order to build a sense of confidence and control over your destiny.

However, it may take a few weeks to find the right calorie zone for you.
  • gleechick609
    Options

OP, please ignore this advice. This is unhealthy and will make you gain more weight in the end. This will also put your body into starvation mode which will ruin your thyroid, reproduction system and metabolism. MFP suggested your calorie intake so stick with that. If you want to calculate your own caloric intake, find out your BMR. Then, subtract 500 calories from that number. By canceling 500 calories per 7 days, this will result in a 1 lb weight loss per week.
  • Vulnerable64
    Vulnerable64 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great support everyone I feel good maintaing this Net ammount now!!

I would never eat less than 1200 calories a day!! Ever!!!

Feel free to friend me, always need support and motivation
  • jeannec3631
    jeannec3631 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    HEY! that's more than i'm getting ;)
    if you log exercise, it will bring the caloric intake count up