Spring Marathon Support Group

Options
Hey folks,

I surely can't be the only person with his or her sights set on a spring marathon- 'tis the season, after all!

Would anyone else like to jump on board? We'll need lots of support during the trials and tribulations of winter training.

I'm planning on running a May marathon in Vermont with a sub-4:30 goal, so I'll be training through the winter, including a February half in New Hampshire with a sub-2:10 goal (I know I'm slow!) I had planned to be a little farther along in my prep for February, but first I pulled my calf badly enough to limp, then I had an ITB flare. UGH.

When, where, and what are your races and your goal paces?

Replies

• KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I am going to begin training for a spring marathon but I am only going to run the half.
    I have a running friend that is training for an ultra and I need a goal. So, we decided to go into marathon training. Not sure when I will actually run a full.

I should add that I ran 3 half marathons this year. I am hoping to get a course PR for the April half as it was the first I ran this year.
    I ran it in 2:28.
    My second (oct 2) 2:23.
    And the third (oct 30) 2:19.
  • skemery
    skemery Posts: 100
    Options
    I'm in! Planning on running my first marathon in New Orleans March 4th. I ran my second half on Saturday at 2:29 (that might be slow, but I beat my previous PR by almost 11 minutes!)

Right now my long run is 14 miles-I'm planning on upping that by about a mile and a half a week. I really slacked off on the cross training the past couple of months, so I'm hoping that having an actual training plan to follow will help me keep up on cross days.

ETA: Right now my goal is just to finish in under 6 hours, but usually I end up modifying that closer to race day to include a goal pace that is a little harder to reach.
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Hey
    I'd love to join. Feel free to add me.

I ran my first half marathon this September in just under 2:03. I don't usually run outside during the winter..but I am considering a full marathon in May( in Ottawa, Canada where I live). It would be my first full marathon and my goal would be just to complete (no time goal). I would start training outdoor in very cold climate in january..

If I decide not to go for the full at this time, I will do the half and my goal would be to break 2 hours.
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm in!

Running a half marathon in 2.5 weeks with a friend, then we have our sights set on the Country Music Marathon in Nashville in April.
    It will be our first marathon so we will be using Hal Higdons Novice 2 marathon training plan, and will begin training right after Christmas.

Definitely looking forward to having a support group because I'm sure there will be many highs and lows in the coming months!!
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on a half in June and a full in September. I tried to train for a full last year but had ITB issues and had to back off. Hoping that outdoor winter training plus our newly acquired treadmill will keep me going through the winter so I don't have to start from square one in March.
  • pepperedmoth
    pepperedmoth Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    So great that there are already people interested. Should we do anything fancy, and set up spreadsheets and whatnot like other groups? I'm terrible at that sort of thing, but if someone is into it...

Who's planning on training outdoors and who indoors? I'm trying to be outside, and since this is my first winter of training it may be a bit of an adventure...
  • BackwoodsMom
    Options
    I told my son that if the roads are clear and it's not a dangerous wind-chill level, then we're going to be outside! Here in upstate NY it's hard enough to get adequate sunshine so any chance we have to get outside, we'll do it. I did find a good treadmill that someone wanted out of their house for a reasonable cost so we do have an option if we need to train indoors.

My challenge is to keep up with cross-training the 2-3 days/week I don't run. I have a couple Jillian Michael's DVD's and a rowing machine. What do others do for their cross-training in the winter? (Definitely not riding a bike in the winter!)
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I will be doing a mix of indoor/outdoor.
    I have better luck with speed work on a treadmill than outdoors. So I will do that.
    All of my long runs will be done outside with a group.

I don't have a set plan yet but will be finding one in the coming weeks.
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    My goal is mostly outdoor running, because I have this love/hate relationship with the treadmill. I'll go indoors pretty much only for rain/snow/ice. I aint skurred of cold weather! But thankfully, I live where it will rarely be in the single digits, and it snows only a few times a season.
  • pepperedmoth
    pepperedmoth Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My cross-training actually IS riding a bike all winter. I've recently become a commuter bicyclist, and I'm going to see how long I can stick it out in these Vermont winters...
  • BackwoodsMom
    Options
    My cross-training actually IS riding a bike all winter. I've recently become a commuter bicyclist, and I'm going to see how long I can stick it out in these Vermont winters...

That sounds like a great idea except we live out in the boonies and the roads probably won't be all that safe for bike riding. Although today it was 65!!!! We got in a good 40 min. interval training run plus a mile of just running and we did it this morning before it got too warm! :-P
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    In. I've run two 1:40 halfs this year and have got a place for London, Im currently doing Hal Higdons spring training (lol) as pre training. Im trying to pick between a cool runnings plan, a runners world plan or Higdons advanced. Im aiming for sub 4 hours and i do all my running outdoors. For cross training i like to swim
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'm always training for more marathons. We have a nice little group going if anyone cares to join us.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/235-marathon-runners-past-present-future
  • kath711
    kath711 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I did my first half last month at 2:09. I am planning another in the spring and hoping to better my time. Not quite ready for a full but maybe in the fall. Unfortunately just this week had to run a couple times inside on the treadmill. Makes the long runs seem longer LOL. Love running outside but not in cold rain. I will try to run as much as possible outdoors and will do the speed/tempo sessions when I have to run indoors.
  • JasonandMichelle
    Options
    I'm training for my first (The Woodlands Marathon) on March 3, 2012. I'm excited and would love to join this group, but I don't quite know how all this works. This is my second post and I'm bad at this. I log in and log food every day, but the message boards are new to me.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I have 3 races planned. In May I have 2 HM that im really pushing for 2:00. In June I have a full marathon and my goal would be 4:40. Its gonna be tough since its getting close to winter and my runs are going to depend on the weather