Push up issues: maybe TMI

So i will just cut to the question, I have had breast implants for a year and a half now and i am in a job that requires me to PT test regularly, however I seem to now struggle with my Push ups more then ever and no matter how many times i practice them its seems like i cant get past three sets of ten. any sugestions

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    how many are you trying to be able to do?
  • I want to do 30, in a minute
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Are the implants causing the issue?
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    I am doing something called the hundred pushup challenge. it helps.
  • Are the implants causing the issue?

I am not sure, however imagine adding ten lbs to your chest and that even makes a differance

I have been on the hundrad push up thing and unfortunatly i stall at week three, i just cant make the number go up
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    I got my implants two years ago. I still can't really do push ups. In fact I don't really want to try, it just doesn't feel right. I also don't want the muscles to harden over the implant. I don't even know if thats an issue really, I just have the look of them when I flex. I also don't like the under the muscle implants I have seen on stars who do work out alot... (eg, real housewives shows ect.)

I just avoid the exercises that involve them. Before implants I could do about ten or more push ups. Now if I really want to I can do two.

I do foream type push ups I learned in yoga class sometimes. I can do about five of those. Arms more at your sides, hands more under the shoulders.

Or.....Is there any way you could get a pardon from the push ups???

I would love to hear what other women have to say about this.

Am I being a fool by avoiding working out my chest???
  • Its possible the surgery to put your implants in damaged some of the muscle tissue that you use to do pull ups. You should talk to your doctor about it. But Im not really sure what they could do about it now.
  • UponThisRock
    I want to do 30, in a minute

So you can already do 30, you just need to be able to do them faster?
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Try a different way to work up to them. Do the hundred pushup challenge but start out doing girl pushups (on your knees). Once you get through it, do it again on your toes but with your feet spread far apart. When you get through that you should be a lot closer to your goal.

Don't give up.
  • I got my implants two years ago. I still can't really do push ups. In fact I don't really want to try, it just doesn't feel right. I also don't want the muscles to harden over the implant. I don't even know if thats an issue really, I just have the look of them when I flex. I also don't like the under the muscle implants I have seen on stars who do work out alot... (eg, real housewives shows ect.)

I just avoid the exercises that involve them. Before implants I could do about ten or more push ups. Now if I really want to I can do two.

I do foream type push ups I learned in yoga class sometimes. I can do about five of those. Arms more at your sides, hands more under the shoulders.

Or.....Is there any way you could get a pardon from the push ups???

I would love to hear what other women have to say about this.

Am I being a fool by avoiding working out my chest???

Great didnt even think about the mucle hardening :(

And no I cant really go up to my comander and say " sir i have fake breasts, can i get a push up waiver?' Could you imagine?? Plus that is a voluntary sugery so .... it is my fault
  • riccoismydog
    Oh I forgots. If yours are under the muscle, they stretched out your chest muscle to put them there. The muscle can't really contract completely I would imagine.

I know women who are really fit, they get theirs over the muscle because working your chest too much (eg body building or lots of training) is bad for the muscle and the implant. Or so they have told me.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Are the implants causing the issue?
    I am not sure, however imagine adding ten lbs to your chest and that even makes a differance

I have been on the hundrad push up thing and unfortunatly i stall at week three, i just cant make the number go up
    Wow. I never considered the effect it could have.

I don't have the solution, but I do not doubt that with determination, you will be able to get it done! :drinker:
  • I want to do 30, in a minute

I need to do them consectivly
  • riccoismydog
    Would they allow the forearm type? They are hard, but involve a lot less chest. I have a friend in the military who has her's done. I will ask her what she does for you.
  • Would they allow the forearm type? They are hard, but involve a lot less chest. I have a friend in the military who has her's done. I will ask her what she does for you.

Thank you, if she has any tips that would be awesome :)
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Try a different way to work up to them. Do the hundred pushup challenge but start out doing girl pushups (on your knees). Once you get through it, do it again on your toes but with your feet spread far apart. When you get through that you should be a lot closer to your goal.

Don't give up.
    Actually, there are pushups in the first stage of NROLW and the book says NOT to do pushups on your knees, because it changes the exercise and you're not working the same muscles as when you do them on your hands. It suggests that you do them on an incline (even if that means starting out leaning against a wall) and then moving down until you're strong enough to do them on the floor. I started the program doing pushups with my hands on a bench press bench (so about a 30-degree angle, maybe) and after 7 weeks I can do 3 sets of 8 pushups on the floor.

Having your toes wider *definitely* helps too.
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Improving Pushups is my specialty.

Wide arms 3 sets of 15
    Diamonds 3 sets of 5
    Regular 3 sets of 15
    When you are done with those try flys with light weights.

Every other day. the reps are you increase your amount by every week. If you can't do them with correct form move to your knees and do them. This does work other muscles groups, but the major muscles of the pectoralis and the triceps are still working.

Every fourth week, do a test and see if you can do more.
  • UponThisRock
    I want to do 30, in a minute

I need to do them consectivly

If you can accomplish 3 sets of 10, then I'm sure you can do more than 10 for your first set, if you push yourself. You need to see how many you can do for your first set, and then keep on doing as many as you can at a time until you get to 30. Your goal is to do one more on your first set each time out until you get to 30.
  • Improving Pushups is my specialty.

Wide arms 3 sets of 15
    Diamonds 3 sets of 5
    Regular 3 sets of 15
    When you are done with those try flys with light weights.

Every other day. the reps are you increase your amount by every week. If you can't do them with correct form move to your knees and do them. This does work other muscles groups, but the major muscles of the pectoralis and the triceps are still working.

Every fourth week, do a test and see if you can do more.

Thanks i will give that a try, never thought to very the type up