Strange injury advice??

Options
Hello!!

Your advice would be greatly appreciated!! I started to work out on an elliptical everyday. (Fairly new to MFP - a month). I started to notice pain in my left foot after about 2 weeks into it. At first it was to the point were I needed to put ice on it. I don't know if the pain was really hurtful or more annoying, obviously it's a constant reminder every time I take a step!!

The pain goes away and comes back, some days it is worse than others and I'm limping quite a bit. I have not let it keep me from using the elliptical, I just grin it and bare it :)

Today I have noticed that I have swelling and slight bruising around the area (new symptom). Does anyone have any advice? I do not want to stop working out!! But afraid that I am making matters worse....

Brookie

Replies

• Tmbrooks75
    Tmbrooks75 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    any time theres swelling and bruising, you have an injury. Without an x-ray or seeing it, its hard to diagnose(not that I could anyways cause I am not a doctor) but it very well could be a stress fracture or worse. My advice is to go see your doctor and maybe get an x-ray if they deem it necessary.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Where is the pain? It could be plantar fascitis, but I don't know if you get bruising with that. I would go to the doctor. You don't want to mess with that and make it worse. I was having foot pain in my left foot for a while that finally went away, but I noticed it really started to get better after I stopped wearing flip-flops. I think it hurt more when I got up in the morning than any other time, but it was never swollen or anything.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    any time theres swelling and bruising, you have an injury. Without an x-ray or seeing it, its hard to diagnose(not that I could anyways cause I am not a doctor) but it very well could be a stress fracture or worse. My advice is to go see your doctor and maybe get an x-ray if they deem it necessary.

This! Swelling + bruising = no good! I'm sorry you're in pain, having an injury at all sucks. Hopefully it's nothing too bad! Good luck! <3
  • magdamccraven
    magdamccraven Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I agree with another poster. I had 3 different stress fractures in feet and ankles and never knew. They were painful but I ignored them and years later, an x-ray showed that I had several poorly healed fractures that are now arthritic.

Better safe than sorry.
  • ktbug82
    ktbug82 Posts: 166
    Options
    You'll definitely need an x-ray. Don't put it off tho. Like another poster said, if you don't get it diagnosed or treated in time it can heal badly and cause arthritis or even worse problems down the line.
  • brookie2983
    brookie2983 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Where is the pain? It could be plantar fascitis, but I don't know if you get bruising with that. I would go to the doctor. You don't want to mess with that and make it worse. I was having foot pain in my left foot for a while that finally went away, but I noticed it really started to get better after I stopped wearing flip-flops. I think it hurt more when I got up in the morning than any other time, but it was never swollen or anything.

The pain is right under my ankle area on the inside (top of foot) if that makes sense. I live in FL and wear flip flops everyday, but this started after I was working out on elliptical.

I really hope this isn't serious! For once in my life I have a workout routine and am LOVING it!
  • schnugglebug
    schnugglebug Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Have it checked out
    I started having a bad ankle after I started using the elliptical...and every time I get on the elliptical it acts up.. it is so swollen today I am back on crutches for a week at least and off it.. it is my left foot as well...

I can do the treadmill for hours no problem... but as soon as I get back on the elliptical it acts up, my ankle swells and I am out of commission...

Rest it Ice it, take some Aleve for the pain ... immobalize it and see a doctor to make sure it isn't something serious!
  • brookie2983
    Options
    Could working out cause a fracture of some kind?? crazy....
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    It could be support related so take a look at the shoes you're wearing and make sure they're offering the proper support for your feet (and legs and back as well because improper support in any of those areas can manifest in your feet as a means of compensation!). If it's something you just recently started doing it could also be an over-use injury (ie. stress fracture). Take a few rest days and if the problem continues visit a doc! Good luck!
  • Beezil
    Options

The pain is right under my ankle area on the inside (top of foot) if that makes sense. I live in FL and wear flip flops everyday, but this started after I was working out on elliptical.

I really hope this isn't serious! For once in my life I have a workout routine and am LOVING it!

Don't be like me and keep working out on that bad foot - I thought I was okay, and I've had to take a week (so far, maybe longer) off of exercise completely because I didn't listen to anyone when they told me to slow down and take a break. (My shoulder, ribs, and neck are all out of whack, joints out of place, etc. Quite painful!) If you keep on it when you're already hurt, you could be setting yourself back even longer! Please don't delay going to the doctor! Get well! <3
  • brookie2983
    Options
    Have it checked out
    I started having a bad ankle after I started using the elliptical...and every time I get on the elliptical it acts up.. it is so swollen today I am back on crutches for a week at least and off it.. it is my left foot as well...

I can do the treadmill for hours no problem... but as soon as I get back on the elliptical it acts up, my ankle swells and I am out of commission...

Rest it Ice it, take some Aleve for the pain ... immobalize it and see a doctor to make sure it isn't something serious!

I was afraid the the elliptical was the reasoning...I have worked out on a treadmill as well before and never had an issue. Not very happy, it is the only machine I have at home....
  • Tmbrooks75
    Options

The pain is right under my ankle area on the inside (top of foot) if that makes sense.

Thats exactly where my stress fracture was. I got it from running on a treadmill at an insanely high angle for too long. Definitely need to get it checked out.
  • brookie2983
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's advice, I really appreciate it. :ohwell:
  • brookie2983
    Options

The pain is right under my ankle area on the inside (top of foot) if that makes sense.

Thats exactly where my stress fracture was. I got it from running on a treadmill at an insanely high angle for too long. Definitely need to get it checked out.

Can you tell me what they did to help the stress facture?? brace? rest?
  • Tmbrooks75
    Options
    rest. just not do it for a while til it felt better.
  • brookie2983
    Options
    I see...so there is nothing they can do for it. I just need to relax on the workouts for awhile.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Ooooh, yeah, maybe a stress fracture. If it was plantar fascitis it would be on the bottom of your foot. I hope it heals quicklyI know what it's like to fall out of a workout routine after surgery.
  • brookie2983
    Options
    Thanks, it feels better to have running shoes on, so looks like I'll keep them on even in the house and forget my workout for the day. So discouraging...
  • Beezil
    Options
    Thanks, it feels better to have running shoes on, so looks like I'll keep them on even in the house and forget my workout for the day. So discouraging...

Don't get yourself down <3 I'm in a similar situation right now, and I know how much it sucks not to be able to work out just when you started enjoying it. But as long as you eat healthy and stick with your calorie goals while you're getting better, you won't backslide. :) Try to stay positive! I know it's tough <3