Not the size I want to be too small but still not at a healt

Need some advice...I'm 50 yr old woman started at 173 and now 136-138, down to a size 2 pants and medium top but I'm not still at a healthy weight.. still need to lose about 15 more pds to put me in the healthy range for my height with is 5' 2. What do I do to not go down in sizes but still lose the pounds, any advice please ( I don't want to be a size 0)

Replies

• irunforfun
    irunforfun Posts: 113 Member
    Are you going to BMI? Cause if you are...don't. What does doc say?
  • amberwebb79
    amberwebb79 Posts: 113 Member
    I'm 5'2" at around 118 pounds and wear a size 4/6. You may have more muscle than you think, if you're wearing a 2, I would think you're well into a healthy size. Don't worry about the scale number or BMI if you feel healthy where you are at now.

Personally I'm working still because I have a lot of fat on my thighs and butt that need work. I carry all my weight there.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    sounds ridiculous for you to loose more, you look amazing!!! see the doc if i were you x
  • the problem is my belly still look like I'm 6 month preg. so I know that's where the extra fat it but it does not seem to go away but everywhere else has....
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 778 Member
    15 lbs seems like an awful a lot to lose for your stats. I am 5'3" & i am hovering between 125-130 / Size 2-4. When I start falling closer to the 123-125 range, I am told that I am too skinny.

I am currently working on body fat percentages. Right now, I am at 25%.
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Talk to your doc about what is a healthy weight for you.

Personally my clothing size doesn't go any lower than a medium top and 4 pant because of my frame - no matter how much I lose.
  • lornathewizzard
    lornathewizzard Posts: 165 Member
    Also, if you are going by BMI (which I would say is not the be all and end all by a long shot), but if you are, then remember it is a range, you don't have to be at the bottom of it for it to be 'healthly', if you are 5ft 2 then if you are 136 lbs then you are in healthy category I believe.
    But more than that, if you are happy, then work on maintaining. Numbers cannot be correct for everyone. And well done!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    You want to lose weight without decreasing your size? Why? And where did you get the magic number that will put you at a healthy weight? If you're going by BMI, remember that it's only applicable to the general population; for individuals it's nothing more than a very rough guideline. But even so, 5'2" and 136 puts you in the healthy weight range for BMI.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    Sounds like you already know how to lose weight. Just keep it up.
  • Alaiya
    Alaiya Posts: 9 Member
    Curious is your belly hard or soft because that makes a difference where the fat is being stored and how to burn it.
    the problem is my belly still look like I'm 6 month preg. so I know that's where the extra fat it but it does not seem to go away but everywhere else has....
  • irunforfun
    irunforfun Posts: 113 Member
    the problem is my belly still look like I'm 6 month preg. so I know that's where the extra fat it but it does not seem to go away but everywhere else has....

Have you looked at your diet?

I dropped 2 inches off my waist when I cut out ALL grains and gluten. I also don't eat dairy. I experimented today (even though Chobani is gluten free) and I'm blown out. So I'm not going to eat dairy anymore either. It may be what you're eating. No evidence behind this, but I've found it works if I avoid those kind of foods (follow a mostly paleo style diet).
  • sharonus
    sharonus Posts: 102
    I've been thinking the same thing lately. I'm at my goal weight (5'4" and 122 pounds) and wearing a size 4 pants. The thing is, these pants seem big and I think I could go down to a size 2. A size 2? I have never been a size 2 in my adult life! About 20 years ago, I was running an hour a day, weighted 120 pounds, wore a size 6, and my mom was worried I was anorexic!

This story helped me 'One Size Fits Nobody: Seeking a Steady 4 or a 10'
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/25/business/25sizing.html?_r=2

A quote:
    "A woman with a 32-inch bust would have worn a Size 14 in Sears’s 1937 catalog. By 1967, she would have worn an 8, Ms. Zulli found. Today, she would wear a zero."

It is also uncomfortable for me to wear such a small size. But I guess we have to keep repeating the "size doesn't matter" mantra. Especially when they change over time and by brand!
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Forget about what the BMI charts say or what size clothing you wear. How do you look? How do you feel? If you are healthy & like the way you look, then go with it. I'm not sure why you don't want to be a size 0 except maybe because those smaller sizes are hard to shop for.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    I've been thinking the same thing lately. I'm at my goal weight (5'4" and 122 pounds) and wearing a size 4 pants. The thing is, these pants seem big and I think I could go down to a size 2. A size 2? I have never been a size 2 in my adult life! About 20 years ago, I was running an hour a day, weighted 120 pounds, wore a size 6, and my mom was worried I was anorexic!

This story helped me 'One Size Fits Nobody: Seeking a Steady 4 or a 10'
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/25/business/25sizing.html?_r=2

A quote:
    "A woman with a 32-inch bust would have worn a Size 14 in Sears’s 1937 catalog. By 1967, she would have worn an 8, Ms. Zulli found. Today, she would wear a zero."

It is also uncomfortable for me to wear such a small size. But I guess we have to keep repeating the "size doesn't matter" mantra. Especially when they change over time and by brand!

That was interesting, thanks for posting. I guess I understand the mind thing too. It takes awhile for the mind/brain to catch up with the physical changes sometimes.
  • sometimes it feels hard other times it feels like loose skin, I'm not sure how to tell the difference between fat and loose skin
  • airycha
    airycha Posts: 135 Member
    You might want to talk to your doctor about your weight.

I do know somebody who had been working to lose weight and they still had that belly. Turned out their liver and spleen were enlarged.

Not that I am saying that is the reason for you, you just might want to talk to a doctor about your weight and go from there.
  • Alaiya
    Alaiya Posts: 9 Member
    When it is hard is it only after you eat or drink? you can also do the pinch test... if you can grab a lot in a pinch it is a softer fat and if not of course the other. Once you determine where the fat is stored you have to focus on the methods to reduce it properly.
    sometimes it feels hard other times it feels like loose skin, I'm not sure how to tell the difference between fat and loose skin