GYM Vs. HOME

Options
Im very new into the working out scene, and I just want to know if theres more of a benefit working out at a gym then working out at home?

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your goals are and what workouts you want to do to achieve those goals.

My home isn't equipped with the free weights that I use so I have to go to the gym
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    For me, it is 100% worth paying for a good gym membership.

I love all of the group fitness classes - zumba, cardio kickboxing, soul grooves, strength, spin, step --- I have met a ton of new friends that keep me accountable and its so much fun I look forward to seeing them. I plan my days around the gym now!

At home, I get bored by myself, I don't work nearly as hard and I do it for a lot shorter time.
  • geraldm55
    Options
    other than the fancy equipment at a gym the main reason to go is you have other people around you that keep you excited and will assist you.

I do all of my working out at home or outside. I have equiped our home with everything I need (bowflex, chinup bar, taebo videos etc.) I enjoy working out alone and I'm very self motivated so I find a gym a tough place to exercise and it takes up my valuable time waiting on others to get off the equipment I want to use.

everyone is different and whatever works for you will be the best.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I gave up the gym a year ago. I learned how to do things at home and get just as good of a workout.as being in the gym. Think it's peoples preference.
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    I do all of my workouts at home. If you mix up your routines you can get a great workout without ever stepping foot into a gym. However, some people get a lot of motivation from going to the gym, and like to use the equipment so it depends on what works for you.

What types of workouts are you interested in?
  • kflo76
    Options
    I love going to the gym...no distractions and I workout so much harder!!!
  • xYumzx
    xYumzx Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I do all of my workouts at home. If you mix up your routines you can get a great workout without ever stepping foot into a gym. However, some people get a lot of motivation from going to the gym, and like to use the equipment so it depends on what works for you.

Not really sure im a newbie but something to get me started would be best
  • glad23
    glad23 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love going to the gym they have great group classes plus it's motivating to see other people working out but on days when I can't make it I do my workout at home. There are a lot of ways to get a good workout at home all you need are a small set of hand weights or some bands.
  • BenderFitness
    Options

Not really sure im a newbie but something to get me started would be best

You might like this one: http://fitnessbender.blogspot.com/2011/10/tight-body-fat-burner-workout.html

Some basic exercises that I find super effective are burpees, lunge jumps, and anything that works your core.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    For me, it is 100% worth paying for a good gym membership.

I love all of the group fitness classes - zumba, cardio kickboxing, soul grooves, strength, spin, step --- I have met a ton of new friends that keep me accountable and its so much fun I look forward to seeing them. I plan my days around the gym now!

At home, I get bored by myself, I don't work nearly as hard and I do it for a lot shorter time.

I'll totally with you! Besides the fact that at home I always find other things to do. I admire folks who can workout at home, but I needed the structure and motivation others.
  • Sandahlxx
    Sandahlxx Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I would love to workout at home but personally don't have the motivation. At the gym I can go to classes or workout alone, but would never leave until getting at least an hour in.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    Nothing beats the convenience of working out at home for me. What am I going to complain about, the drive? No excuses! Plus I don't have to find workout clothes without holes in them.

But on the other hand, if my gym had any good group classes, I do love the energy and motivation from a group class. So I am still hunting a good gym around here with a kickbutt class schedule.
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I've been doing stuff at home but have decided I'd like tog et some weights into my life so I'm joining a gym (low cost, equipment only, no group fitness) simple for the fact that I don't have the equipment at home.