Do you eat back your exercise calories?

Options
I've seen some people on here who 'eat back' the calories that they burn during exercise...call me stupid but doesn't this defy the whole point?

Is there any logic or research behind doing this or any reason why people do it? For example, if you have 1400 calories a day then burn 200 swimming but eat them back (so you've eaten a total or 1600 cals) would it not have made more sense just to stick to your 1400 calories for the day and not had to bother slaving away in a gym?!

I was wondering people's oppinions on this and if there is any reason why it is good to eat them back? Surely any calories you lose from exercise should just be a bonus in terms of weight loss? I'm confused! :-s

Replies

• freckles88
    freckles88 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Anyone??
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    Here is how it works, in a simplified manner:

You tell MFP: I want to lose 1lb per week.

MFP says: Okay, you need to eat X calories per day in order to lose 1lb/week, without exercise.

You do what MFP says, but then you decide to exercise and you burn an additional 400 calories. MFP then says "Hey, I told you to eat X per day to lose 1lb/week without exercise. You exercised, now you're going to lose it too fast and that's not ideal. Now I want you to eat X+400".

yes it would also make sense to just eat the 1400 and not "slave away" at the gym. you would still lose weight. however, your body wouldnt look as healthy in the end. at the very least you should net 1200 calories, but its really a good idea to get as close to your daily goal as possible
  • ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I was told by my doctor not to... and I don't.... maybe later on when I'm going to do 1 hour cardio I might eat a % back
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    As rockerbabyy said, your calorie deficit for your weight loss goal is already built in to the number MFP gives you. So 'eating back" the exercise calories doesn't defeat the point of working out. Weight loss is 80-90% diet. We cut calories to lose weight, we exercise to be healthy and fit and to look better when we get to our goal weight (and sometimes to be able to eat more). Healthy fit bodies need fuel.