WHY can't I do this!?

Options
I am getting so mad at myself! For a few months I was doing great, lost 11 lbs and had no problem counting calories.

Now, for the past few months, I've been trying to do it, but most days I just say "eff it!" and just eat whatever. Summer is now closer than it was before, why have I lost all of my motivation?

I really need to go food shopping and start buying healthy stuff again, DH has gone the past few times and he's not as "calorie" conscious as I am. He buys regular bread, where I wouldn't buy the bread with more than 40 calories.

We've been eating out all the time for the past few months, at mom & pop type sub shops where they have no calories listed.

I suppose I just gave up.

But why is it so hard for me to get back into the swing of things. I have gained 1.5 lbs back, which isn't much, but I know I'm headed down that road of gaining it all back, maybe more.

HELP! :sad:

Replies

• RKA625
    RKA625 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am getting so mad at myself! For a few months I was doing great, lost 11 lbs and had no problem counting calories.

Now, for the past few months, I've been trying to do it, but most days I just say "eff it!" and just eat whatever. Summer is now closer than it was before, why have I lost all of my motivation?

I really need to go food shopping and start buying healthy stuff again, DH has gone the past few times and he's not as "calorie" conscious as I am. He buys regular bread, where I wouldn't buy the bread with more than 40 calories.

We've been eating out all the time for the past few months, at mom & pop type sub shops where they have no calories listed.

I suppose I just gave up.

But why is it so hard for me to get back into the swing of things. I have gained 1.5 lbs back, which isn't much, but I know I'm headed down that road of gaining it all back, maybe more.

HELP! :sad:
  • benzrich230
    Options
    cuz your fat
  • e11xoxo
    e11xoxo Posts: 86
    Options
    I can definitely relate to that wall. ESPECIALLY if you enjoy food. But we just have to force ourselves to do it for maybe that first new week, and after that you get back to the swing of things. If you want, you can join my weight loss team and weigh-in with us every Sunday. KEEP YOU HEAD UP! :flowerforyou:
  • Kanderson46
    Options
    Hey I was the same way for the last month or so.......BUT I finally got back to walking..exercising and eating right.......DON'T give up..YOU can do it!!!! Believe in yourself!!!

:happy: Just my thought.........:smile:
  • angievan26
    angievan26 Posts: 212
    Options
    first of all you don't look fat! I personally know how hard it is to keep going and once you get off track it can be really hard to get back on. Do things day by day. Tell yourself you want to be healthy and make better choices. If you have to start one day off by drinking enough water and the next day add in making sure one meal is good on calories fat and carbs. Then the next few days keep adding something. Then once you get on track try to keep yourself there. I know it is hard but maybe you could use a buddy to help you keep in line?
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    cuz your fat
    How rude!

I would suggestion re-evaluating your goals & motivation. Why do you want to lose weight? I have found personally that since my motivation is health related and not just for looks, it keeps me motivated to keep going. Good luck!
  • e11xoxo
    e11xoxo Posts: 86
    Options
    It has been reported.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I will be a bit nicer in my response but..you can do it the only reason you are not is because your allowing yourself to use the word "cant" as a crutch..you either really want this or your doing it for other purposes that dont mean much....I suggest making a plan on paper and sticking too it..here is the deal we get up everyday and work because we have to...well fact is we HAVE to take care of ourselves as well if we want to live healthy lives....taking care of "YOU" is your number 1# priority..if you can do anything else on a day to day basis you can put forth the effort it takes to ensure your taking care of yourself...Good luck in your journey:drinker:
  • blackchick38
    Options
    kellz all of us have been there,so take it one day at atime,dont kill yourself over it,try to get back on track
  • cookydt
    cookydt Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Most of us fall off the wagon from time to time. Get back on and keep on keepin' on!

You'll have to take over the shopping from hubby. Don't bring anything bad into the house.
    Plan your meals ahead....that helps a lot when shopping.

You can do this! :smile:

C'mon.....it's not too late to do something before summer!

Good luck! Oh, be sure to log everything! That really does help! :flowerforyou:

Oh, and drink ALL your water! :drinker:
  • Snags
    Snags Posts: 43
    Options
    try to think of it as a work week thing then be good all through the week and maybe have a bad day on sat or sun thats what we do and my wife and I continue to lose weight me 16(1 month) her 31(3 months) just get back to it think about how good you will look
  • RKA625
    Options
    Thanks.

I did have a buddy, but she was moving and she ended up falling off track too, so that wasn't any help, lol. She's a good friend of mine and wants to get back on top of things as well, but she seems to always find an excuse to not go to the gym.

I USED to be in the mindset that I'd go myself, even if no-one went with me, and I did. but I started getting lazy about that too. I just need a good kick in the *kitten*!

And I'll be honest, my motivation is looks, anything else isn't as motivating. I DO want to be healthy, but I know my drive before was to look good, basically I got sick of being fat.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Benzrich has been reported. What an idiot.

Kellz- You are a young lady like myself, and I know too that it can be very hard to find the motivation. The way I look at it is if we start now, it will be A LOT easier than trying to start when we are in our 40's. You have to get in the mindset that this is a way of life, not just something you do when you start to feel down about your appearance. Utilize this site as much as possible for motivation, insight, and hope. There are people on here that have lost over 100 pounds! That is amazing! If they can do it, you can do it! Just keep it up and think of the long term benefits.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Who do you think you are Benzrich230 saying something like that?:angry:

cuz he's a flammer (seriously, flamming is an internet term for "heckler or someone who attacks people on line"). I think it's cowardly and very immature, I guarantee he won't be around very long, sadly, it's one of the drawbacks of a public forum.
  • star139
    star139 Posts: 134
    Options
    first of all you don't look fat! I personally know how hard it is to keep going and once you get off track it can be really hard to get back on. Do things day by day. Tell yourself you want to be healthy and make better choices. If you have to start one day off by drinking enough water and the next day add in making sure one meal is good on calories fat and carbs. Then the next few days keep adding something. Then once you get on track try to keep yourself there. I know it is hard but maybe you could use a buddy to help you keep in line?

great advice! i've fallen off the wagon too (for about the past 2 weeks) and for some reason I can't turn it around. I'm just taking it one day at at time, watching my calorie intake again, trying to drink more water, eventually getting back in the gym. just take it slow...nothing can happen overnight! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • RKA625
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am definitely going to take over the food shopping again. I just made a post it the nutrition section asking for ideas of what to buy in bulk at BJ's. I need to keep the bad stuff that DH was buying, out of the house. To be honest, when I have good stuff, I eat it. Yesterday I had cucumber slices instead of an ice cream sandwich.
  • Snags
    Snags Posts: 43
    Options
    i hope you get back on track you look like you are a beautiful girl. Belive me i know how it is my wife and I have both gon up and down in weight since we have been together 15 yrs ive been as low as 185 and as high as 250. Im on my way down from 250 now just keep going and look into those 100 calorie snaks you dont have to give everything up just MODERATION. GOOD LUCK :flowerforyou:
  • Amber42803
    Amber42803 Posts: 143
    Options
    cuz your fat
    How rude!

I would suggestion re-evaluating your goals & motivation. Why do you want to lose weight? I have found personally that since my motivation is health related and not just for looks, it keeps me motivated to keep going. Good luck!

Not that I'm defending ANYONE who would sit there and call someone "fat" but I think the point may have simply been that... we are all here because we have weight to lose, and yes some of us are more valumptious, and yes, because of that fact it IS hard to give things up, and when you've gone for so long without them, then get back into eating them again...it's hard to get back up and dust yourself off, it's just so much easier to say..."to hell with it, I'm fat....don't care". It's DEFINATELY not the right thing, but it's how some of us think. That's the way I've been thinking for the past 5 years. "I'm fat, if other's don't like it, p%#$ on them" when in reality, I was only defending myself, to myself. I did care, I do care, and that's why I'm here. I've lost 9 pounds, and that's the most I've EVER lost, and it feel great, and it keeps me motivated. Find what makes you motivated, and think about it, get up, and move. You'll find your groove!

Also, "Benzrich" - chill out. Take it easy. Try to be a bit more considerate eh?
    I mean seriously, do YOU like being called "fat". We don't need reminders!

ALC

178464.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • expressbug
    expressbug Posts: 100
    Options
    Maybe you should give your self a reward of somesort at the end of each day or week. You get through successful til you get back into the swing of things. Everyone loves rewards.

I do that with my son. He is an only child and sometimes he forgets about manners and I encourage him with rewards at the end of the week for good behavior.

Hope this helps.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    You can do this. Saying can't is just easier. Its a fallback when we feel helpless even though we aren't. Ultimately you are the controller what goes into your body.

How many times do you have to look into the mirror and not like what you see until you realize that saying "eff it" is unhealthy? Instead look yourself in the mirror and say, "You can do this." It's entirely up to you. How bad do you want it?

We can give you the support, but we can't make you say no. Hell, maybe thats a good place to start in your case. Look at something you want to eat, and say, "no." Make it a goal. The cool thing about making and meeting a goal? If you do it once, you show yourself that you can do it. That's the hardest part, doing it the first time. You do it once, you can do it a million times because you already KNOW you can do it.

We all have relapses. You have choices, you can try to make yourself live a healthy lifestyle. You can try to keep the same lifestyle but make it healthier (using substitutes for your favorite foods). Or you can meet somewhere in the middle of the two.

All I can say is that being fit and healthy tastes better than any food in existence - even chocolate.