I need a good HRM....

Options
I need to purchase a good HRM that is reliable and will tell me calories burned.... can anyone make a recommendation?? I would prefer one that doesn't cost a fortune... ;)

Thank you!!!!

Replies

• thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Polar is a great brand. You can find a nice one on Amazon
  • neesh200
    neesh200 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I got mine for $100 or $150 made by Sunto...I really like it...easy to use.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i got my polar ft4 from amazon for $60... its easy to use and does what i need it to. i can also replace the battery myself when the time comes...i guess not all are like that
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar FT7 on Amazon $110 and I LOVE it!!!
  • amysuespears
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your quick responses! :)
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    The only reliable calorie counter is the bodybugg but depends on the version is between $150-225 and then after 1 year you have to pay subscription to the their website in order for the equipment to work. In my opinion any other device (HRM included) are not accurate enough. It is better to log yourself into MFP.
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 on Amazon!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    The only reliable calorie counter is the bodybugg but depends on the version is between $150-225 and then after 1 year you have to pay subscription to the their website in order for the equipment to work. In my opinion any other device (HRM included) are not accurate enough. It is better to log yourself into MFP.
    HRMs are way more accurate than mfp... ive been over or under by 100 calories before, comparing hrm to mfp. it might not be 100% but for people that cant afford a bodybugg or media fit PLUS the subscription fee, its as close as you can get
  • seven8seven
    seven8seven Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 from Polar website --- BEST purchase I have EVER made!!
  • jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I love my polar FT4! Not too fancy so it's easy to use. I think mine was about $65 on Amazon.
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Polar are great Heart Rate Monitors but like all HRM they are not accurate at telling you calories burnt !
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I was given a Timex HRM with chest strap for free. It does what I need it to do. In terms of HRM it said the same thing that the elliptical said in terms of what my heart rate was. Both said I had burned 462 calories doing my 45 minute sprint program on the elliptical. But then I did my strength training, and when I do that I circuit train. It said I burned an additional 540 calories while doing my strength training. I heard a rumor that HRMs are not accurate when doing weight training exercise.

But, if it matches the machine where I program in my age and weight for the aerobic, and I program in my age and weight on the HRM, why would it work differently when I'm doing aerobics over what is shows when I'm doing my strength training?
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar FT7 on Amazon $110 and I LOVE it!!!

^^^^Agree^^^^^
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I was given a Timex HRM with chest strap for free. It does what I need it to do. In terms of HRM it said the same thing that the elliptical said in terms of what my heart rate was. Both said I had burned 462 calories doing my 45 minute sprint program on the elliptical. But then I did my strength training, and when I do that I circuit train. It said I burned an additional 540 calories while doing my strength training. I heard a rumor that HRMs are not accurate when doing weight training exercise.

But, if it matches the machine where I program in my age and weight for the aerobic, and I program in my age and weight on the HRM, why would it work differently when I'm doing aerobics over what is shows when I'm doing my strength training?

B/c Strength training is not a steady state cardio activity like aerobics or the elliptical and HRM's need steady state cardio to log estimations of calories accurately. With strength training, you have a lot more pauses between sets and your heart rate is elevated due to other reasons then aerobics.. one being increased pressure from lifting that makes your heart rate shoot up even if you are not working that hard.

Plus Timex is an awful HRM brand anyway. They do not take enough information needed to make an accurate calorie estimation... So I would seriously consider not logging those calories cause it's most likely not accurate at all.

To OP:
    Get a Polar.. They really are the best brand for HRM's.