What kind of staple food should I buy in bulk?

Options
RKA625
RKA625 Posts: 151 Member
We have a BJ's membership (kind of like a Sam's club or a Costco's) and I want to go there and buy some staple "healthier foods" in bulk so I won't run out and have any excuses. I need some ideas though.

We used to go get water, juice boxes for my son, etc there, but we haven't gone in a long time.

Replies

• RKA625
    Options
    We have a BJ's membership (kind of like a Sam's club or a Costco's) and I want to go there and buy some staple "healthier foods" in bulk so I won't run out and have any excuses. I need some ideas though.

We used to go get water, juice boxes for my son, etc there, but we haven't gone in a long time.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal. I eat it everday. If not for breakfast, for a snack.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Veggies, chicken breast, almonds, brown, whole grain rice, whole wheat pasta.

Steer away from the pre-processed foods if you can, they generally are high in sodium and other preservatives and can make healthy weight loss harder for you.
  • e11xoxo
    e11xoxo Posts: 86
    Options
    Granola bars and cereal.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Ground Flax Seed, brown rice, dried beans.
  • RKA625
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas.

I don't think I'd buy chicken breast or veggies in bulk, I think it would go bad. We do eat it, but my family probably won't want it every night.

Almonds are a great idea, never even thought of that. I've heard they are a "power food". Oatmeal is another great idea, I eat that a lot too.

I am looking at hungry girl to pre-plan some meals & snacks.
  • Jklongley_99
    Options
    Freeze your chicken and it won't go bad. It's much cheaper at place's like Sam's, Costco's and I assume BJ's.
  • expressbug
    expressbug Posts: 100
    Options
    BJ's is really good at making Fresh Salad Green down on Saturday Morning. If you get there early enough you can get Family Size Bags of Salad Greens for .99

They do the same thing with there high end meat and other expireables (it that a word) LOL

You can get really good deals on healthy bulk food if you get there early in the am.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Definitely freeze chicken. I also freeze ground turkey that I buy.
  • RKA625
    Options
    Well when we get a freezer, I would love to buy meat in bulk, BUT my brother in law lives with us and gets 1/2 of the freezer and 1/2 of the fridge for his own stuff, so we really don't have much room for freezing bulk stuff. I've already told DH we need to buy a small freezer for freezing meat and stuff.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas.

I don't think I'd buy chicken breast or veggies in bulk, I think it would go bad. We do eat it, but my family probably won't want it every night.

Almonds are a great idea, never even thought of that. I've heard they are a "power food". Oatmeal is another great idea, I eat that a lot too.

I am looking at hungry girl to pre-plan some meals & snacks.

Frozen chicken breast doesn't go bad, not for a long time, just make sure it stays wrapped. Careful with oatmeal, make sure it's the steel cut or old fashioned oats, because the instant is processed, and contains lots of simple carbs, and tons of sugar, it can be as bad for you as white bread.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I used to buy boca burgers in bulk because it really lowered the amount I spent on lunches. I'd recommend things that don't go bad quickly... rolled oats/steel cut oats, dried beans, dried fruits.
  • lreilly16
    lreilly16 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    you can also buy popcorn. It lasts for a long time and is a great snack!:flowerforyou:
  • RKA625
    Options
    Yay, keep the ideas coming. I am going to try boca burgers, I've never bought them before. I can easily bring them to work with me for lunch or dinner though.

Popcorn is another great idea.