Best remedy for sore quads

Options
I am doing the 200 sqauts challenge (and the other parts) and my initial test put me starting on week 3.

So yesterday I did a total of 145 squats (they are done non weighted) and boy are my quads sore today (good thing!)

Obviously today is a rest day re strength training, but i wondered what would help ease the soreness.

Would a long walk, or some cardio eg elliptical be helpful to lift the soreness. Or do the legs need to be fully rested? The next session falls tomorrow.

Thanks - and if anyone wants to join the challenge just PM me!

Replies

• The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I love the step mill for sore quads. It hurts a while at first but then as they get warm it's all good. :drinker:

Maybe 15 mins of low intensity
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I find if my quads are sore rest makes them hurt more. Stretch and do light excersise. A walk would be good.
  • jweidner33
    jweidner33 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Light stretching will get the blood pumping and help soreness. As you mentioned though rest is the most important thing. It is critical for muscle rebuilding.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    soaking in a tub with epsoms salts helps also but definitely a little movement
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I would try to break up the lactic acid that is built up in them. So maybe a jog or something that gets them moving and the blood pumping. Then I'd take a hot bath. And stretch. And give it a few days.
  • aimeeturner
    aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    ice bath
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    This may sound weird, but I just recently started doing the C25K program and my legs, obviously, would be uber-sore post work-out.

I went to my local grocery store & bought a rolling pin. Yes, the same ones your grandma used to roll out cookie dough.

I roll my legs after every work out and they've never been sore again.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Same, here. I am SO SORE today and have an 8k tomorrow. Was debating whether or not to go to the gym and do the elliptical for a bit or if I just want to go home, take the dog for a walk and take an epsom soak.
  • smarterthanyoda
    Options
    I feel like I don't get as sore if I do some cardio after lifting. But, that might just be placebo effect.
  • Labcoathipster
    Options
    It sounds backwards, but the best thing for sore muscles after a workout is chocolate milk. There is protein and sugar which is actually what your body needs immediate post workout. Don't over indulge of course but it will keep the lactic acid from overly building up.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    This may sound weird, but I just recently started doing the C25K program and my legs, obviously, would be uber-sore post work-out.

I went to my local grocery store & bought a rolling pin. Yes, the same ones your grandma used to roll out cookie dough.

I roll my legs after every work out and they've never been sore again.
    That's not crazy, it's just massaging them.

I did find stretching helped too.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    I would try to break up the lactic acid that is built up in them. So maybe a jog or something that gets them moving and the blood pumping. Then I'd take a hot bath. And stretch. And give it a few days.

I wish I could jog but currently have major issues with tendons around the knees every time I try to run. Am seeing physio and will be getting assessment of running next week to see if there are issues with my biomechanics.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I used seated station bicyle, rolling foam and move my legs in hot tub
  • M3CH4N1C
    M3CH4N1C Posts: 157
    Options
    I believe anything that gets blood and oxygen flowing to the muscles, along with stretching, would be good for soreness. Legs can be painful because they are such a huge muscle group, but good thing is that if they are sore then you are doing something right.
  • Patecakers
    Options
    When I read the question post my first response (as a massage therapist!) was get a massage! however ice bath is a great idea...do not use heat if they are feeling inflamed since heat only adds fuel to the fire (THIS GOES FOR ANY BODY ACHES!)

There is a sore muscle cream you can get at a chiropractic office called BIOFREEZE. the stuff is simply amazing I give it out as Christmas presents to my most tense clients!

I absolutely LOVE the rolling pin idea! great great great!

I hope your quads feel better....stretching them out is a good idea as well but just watch you don't overdue it because that can lead to even MORE soreness and strain
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^^
    That.

What I've found helps for sore quads (like after the first ski day of a new season) is some light exercise, just to warm the muscles up and get the blood flowing, followed by gentle stretching, followed by ice.

I rarely use heat to treat muscle soreness any more, although stretching in a warm shower after a workout outside in teh cold is wonderful.