looking for brothy soup suggestions

Options
With the cold weather coming, I find myself craving hot brothy soup again. This year, I'm hoping to finally venture into the kitchen and make some of my own rather than rely on the canned soups. Does anyone have favorites they'd like to share? Please be warned that I'm not a kitchen guy. I look at recipes and think "Hmm, 5 ingredients, easy. Ooh, this one has 7, may be I can try this. What?! 10 ingredients?! Who does he think I am, Emeril?" But, I do look at recipes :wink: .

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Are you interested in a recipe that includes broth and cream? I made this one last night. It has 13 ingredients though...
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/chicken-and-gnocchi-soup/detail.aspx
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I do a play on hot pot. Beef stock, bok choy (chopped) ton of mushrooms, thin sliced beef or chicken, soy sauce, pepper oil, sprouts, and shirataki noodles. It is so tasty and then it's easy to freeze and only gets better!
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I have a few but you'll have to wait until I get home from work so I can find them... lol I have like 3 or 4 VERY good ones, though... just don't let the ingredient list scare you... they're all super easy. :)
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    tammy's chicken/artichoke soup

4 cups chicken broth
    1.5 cups milk
    2 cups potatoes (cubed) I buy these frozen and already cut
    2 cans of quartered artichoke hearts (rinse well) I cut them in about 3 pieces
    1 chicken breast (cooked and cut into cubes)
    2 tbsp of bacon bits
    1/8 cup parmesan cheese
    seasoning

Makes 10 servings (95 calories)

I have a friend who makes a fancier artichoke soup adding onions and chilies, with more chicken and cheese. She puree's the artichokes... I don't.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I've recently fallen in love with Udon. You can add whatever you want to it, but for basics you can just boil some water with some bouillion cubes, throw in the noodles and BAM, ten minutes later delicious soup. You can add meat, onions, mushrooms, carrots, whatever you feel like. Also low calorie for a pasta.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Alice's Stupid-Easy Chicken Broth and Recipe-Ready Chicken:

1 whole chicken-- ~ 4 - 5 lb in size, skin and majority of visible fat removed (OK to leave skin on wings)
    1 whole onion, quartered
    ~ 2 cups celery (I usually save tops and cores in the freezer for this purpose)
    1 tbsp black pepper (or to taste!)
    1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)

Put all ingredients in an 8 qt stock pot and add water until chicken is completely covered.

Put on a med-hi burner with lid off until it begins to simmer. Turn to low for 2-3 hours.

Result: One chicken ready for shredding and making casseroles, enchiladas, and other recipes; and a pot of fabulously easy chicken broth.

Can also put the whole thing in the fridge over night and then remove any remaining fat the next morning.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I'm also a big tomato-based soup fan.

I make a lot of easy soups starting with one can of diced tomatoes (no salt added) + 1 can of water.

I'll add heavy shakes of garlic powder, onion powder, italian spices, and black & cayenne pepper to that . . .and just eat it straight

OR it makes a great base for clean-the-fridge time. Some leftover veggies, rice, beans, or pasta . . . or a scoop of mixed frozen veggies (I personally love spinach) and you're good to go!
  • dippystick
    dippystick Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Our family favorite is affectionately called Garden Candy soup.

It's easy I use a large plug in turkey roaster but it can be made in a stock pot on the stove top too.

Lean Hamburger
    Beef Soup Base
    Canned Diced Tomatoes
    Frozen Vegetables (can used mixed to make things easier)
    Onions
    Celery
    Green Cabbage

Take a pot and fill about 1/3 with water. Heat till water is boiling. Reduce heat to a slow boil. Add some beef soup base according to the package directions for the water you have.

Take 1# of lean hamburger (or how ever much burger you want according to your pot size and how much meat you like) just break it up into small pieces and drop it raw into the water.

Cook the burger till done.

Add 1 or 2 cans of diced tomatoes.

Add some chopped onions, celery, whatever combination of frozen veggies you like. We use corn, green beans, carrot coins, peas, lima beans. I also shred some green cabbage and add that too. You can add potatoes, but I don't as I like to make a large pot of this soup and freeze it, the potatoes don't freeze so good. I freeze in serving sized bowls. I use the glad 1 1/2 cup size and find that just enough for a full meal. Very good fast food, take out a bowl, nuke it. Nice, hot, healthy.

Simmer till heated through. We love to let it slow simmer all day. Fills the house with such a good smell.
  • TammiAcker
    TammiAcker Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Not sure what kind of food you are into, but this was the first one that came to mind> Spinach Tofu Soup

I start with about a tbsp of oil heat in a soup pan and add thinly sliced green onions (1-2 depending on how much onion you like) let saute till fragrant and almost brown then add water (i just fill the bowl that I plan to eat with 5-6 times to make that many servings) and a beef or chicken boullion base, bring to a boil, add as much/little as you want of fresh baby spinach ( I like the pre-washed/packed kind), add cubed SOFT tofu. Bring back to a boil, AND your DONE! Very low cal! Eat till your warm and full :)

Optional: Soy Sauce and Siracha/Hot Sauce (not included below)

Ingredients Calories Carbs Fat Sugar Protein Fiber
    Spinach-Fresh Express Spinach - Bag - Spinach, 12 C raw (85g) 60 9 0 0 6 6
    Mori-Nu - Tofu, Silken, Soft, 1 container (12 oz.s ea.) 180 8 10 4 16 0
    Better Than Bouillion - Reduced Sodium Beef Base, 2 tsp. 20 2 0 2 2 0
    Generic - Green Onions, 3 stalk chopped (12g) ~1/8 bunch 9 3 0 0 0 2
    Great Value - Extra Light Olive Oil, 1 Tbsp 120 0 14 0 0 0
    Add Ingredient
    Total: 389 22 24 6 24 8
    Per Serving: 78 4 5 1 5 2
  • claudiandw
    claudiandw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have two really good and easy recipes. If you can open a can and brown some hamburger or turkey you can do it LOL! :smile:
    We love both of these and have them almost once a week.......sooo good. :)

ENCHILADA SOUP

2TBS. Vegetable Oil (or I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
    1/2C. Chopped Onion
    1/2C. Chopped Green Pepper
    1TBS. Minced Garlic
    1)14oz. Can of Vegetable Broth
    2)14oz. Cans Mild Red Enchilada Sauce
    1) 4.5oz Can Diced Green Chiles(I use 2 cans)
    1) 14oz. Can Diced Mexican Style Tomatoes
    15oz. Can Black Beans(Undrained)
    2C. Canned White Hominy(Drained)
    2TBS. Taco Seasoning Mix

Sautee Onion, Green Pepper and Garlic for 2-3 Minutes or until onions are transparent
    Pour in all ingredients and bring to boil. Lower heat to low/medium heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
    Garnish with Tortilla Chips, Shredded Cheese and Sour Cream.
    Enjoy!

TERRIFIC TACO SOUP

Ingredients
    1 pound of ground beef
    1 small onion, minced
    1 small can green chiles, chopped
    1 can stewed tomatoes
    1 can Rotel (Mexican tomatoes)
    1 can ranch style beans or chili beans
    1 can whole kernel corn
    1 ½ cups water
    1 pkg. ranch dressing mix
    1 pkg. taco seasoning mix

Brown beef, onion and chiles. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer 20 minutes. Great with cornbread or with tortilla chips and grated cheddar cheese.
  • tulip07
    tulip07 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Love the Chicken-Vegetable soup from the 17 day diet book. Super tasty, filling and healthy!!! Here's the link. Also copied the recipe below.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-17-day-diet/recipe-chicken-vegetable-soup/123965371009657

Ingredients
    4 baked chicken breasts, diced into small chunks
    1 1/2 cups cabbage, chopped
    1 large carrot, chopped
    1 cup okra, sliced
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 large celery stalks with leaves, chopped
    1 15-oz. can of crushed tomatoes
    1 14-oz. can fat-free chicken broth
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    Directions
    Place all ingredients, except chicken, in a large pan and simmer for one hour or until vegetables are soft. Add in chicken and heat thoroughly. Enjoy this soup for lunch or dinner. Makes 4 servings.
  • grtrtle
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the great soup ideas! It looks like I have plenty of soup ideas here to last me through this winter :happy: .