puzzled

Options
ever since ive had to be gluten dairy and caffiene free i keep getting cramp in legs. i keep being told its because cant eat half the foods contains as much sodium as what i used to be able to eat. before i take the drastic step and start using a little bit extra salt and stop taking crampex tablets before bed so i dont become addicted, is this possibly true????

Replies

• jlnk
    jlnk Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've heard that it is a result of vitamin deficiency. Are you taking a multivitamin? Can you eat bananas?? I know bananas help with cramping...
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    If you get cramp at night, drink tonic water before you go to bed, the quinine in it is meant to help.
  • Wrappedinbacon
    Wrappedinbacon Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Potassium reduces cramps, it is found in bananas and you could also use a vitamin supplement. Also make sure you take in tons of water because dehydration causes cramps
  • deut32_47
    deut32_47 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bananas...good suggestion and anything else that has potassium. Change your food diary to show you how much potassium you are eating in a day. Kiwi is another good source of potassium as well. Don't eat too much though....my aunt ate 7 kiwis once in a single meal and gave herself a heart attack from too much potassium. See what your diet is supposed to have and try reaching that everyday.
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    potassium helps remove excess sodium from your body. you're probably lacking in potassium so you're probably retaining water like crazy in your muscles. you could try taking a MV with potassium or just a potassium supp. do you get your daily fruit & veggies servings? a lot of fruits & veggies are high in potassium and have no salt.. bananas, oranges, coconut, tomatoes, peppers.. even the juice from them has a good amount. i usually try to keep my potassium higher than my sodium and its been helping with leg muscle cramps.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Add calcium and potassium to your diet. A calcium deficiency will also cause cramping. Do you drink enough water? Dehydration will also cause cramping.
  • talzybob
    Options
    I drink loads of water and i eat a banana everyday and my rice millk is my calcium replacement.