Advice please: Need to Lose stubborn fat.

Options
Help me please! I really want to lose some fat around my stomach and inner thighs(as well as all over) quickly or at least speed it up. I know I need to definitely need to change my diet but I would like to know what kinds of tweaks I need to make.(Btw I've been making changes already, adding veggies more and what not, still making the changes). I'll have to make these changes slowly but please give me some suggestions(exercise too if need be).

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Best advice: Set realistic goals.

Remain in a safe calorie deficit and it will come off. No quick fixes :flowerforyou:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce, maintain a consistent caloric deficit and it will eventually be lost. As you get leaner things like HIIT can be beneficial for stubborn fat
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Diet and Exercise, there simply are no shortcuts. Make sure you're eating a calorie deficit, make sure you're getting 30-60 minutes of cardio exercise per day and you'll be doing all you can. One suggestion I'd make is start taking measurements on a bi-weekly basis. Every two weeks, measure your waist, your thighs and anything else that is important to you. Often times we lose quite a few inches in these spots before we ever actually notice it in the mirror. Don't measure every day, stick to the two week schedule and that will help keep you from getting frustrated. Stay the course, look at how many successful people on this site have done it following that simple formula. IT WILL work for you too!!
  • Dlynndavis
    Dlynndavis Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Excuse my ignorance. But what is HIIT? I'm really interested..although as I said, I don't know what it is but you had me at the word beneficial.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    High Intensity Interval Training... I think lol. It's just a method of training in which you go all out in short bursts then recovery a bit... then go all out again. Essentially makes your heart rate spike really quickly, let it come back down the drive it right back up.
  • Dlynndavis
    Options
    Awesome. I just saw a Dr. Oz episode that told ME to use that method to alleviate stubborn belly fat! I have been using the HIIT method on the elliptical all week and I really feel like it will be effective. I use my regular speed for 5 minutes, then do a 1 minute burst, then go back to my regular speed. I continue this for an hour and 15 minutes a day. I think it wil be "beneficial". I know I feel like I'm getting a lot more out of my workout than maintaining the same speed for 75 minutes. Thanks!
  • AlexJourneyHall
    AlexJourneyHall Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thank you all :smile:
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Awesome. I just saw a Dr. Oz episode that told ME to use that method to alleviate stubborn belly fat! I have been using the HIIT method on the elliptical all week and I really feel like it will be effective. I use my regular speed for 5 minutes, then do a 1 minute burst, then go back to my regular speed. I continue this for an hour and 15 minutes a day. I think it wil be "beneficial". I know I feel like I'm getting a lot more out of my workout than maintaining the same speed for 75 minutes. Thanks!

Try to up the intensity. Do 30 seconds flat out, then 30 seconds at your normal pace, then 30 secs flat out etc. That way your heart rate stays higher, for longer.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    HIIT isn't going to tap into stubborn body fat anymore than other forms of exercise or other ways of reaching a calorie deficit. If you're already very lean, there are certain "tricks" you can do. But if you're not already lean, it's pointless worrying about your problem areas. Just stick with sane calorie deficits, feed your body the right mix of nutrients, and above all else, focus on consistency.

Your problem areas will eventually get tapped into. Remember, our bodies typically tap into our problem areas last.
  • alyssamiller77
    Options
    HIIT isn't going to tap into stubborn body fat anymore than other forms of exercise or other ways of reaching a calorie deficit. If you're already very lean, there are certain "tricks" you can do. But if you're not already lean, it's pointless worrying about your problem areas. Just stick with sane calorie deficits, feed your body the right mix of nutrients, and above all else, focus on consistency.

Your problem areas will eventually get tapped into. Remember, our bodies typically tap into our problem areas last.

Curious what these "tricks" are to which you refer. Care to share?
  • joey722
    Options
    what do you call a safe calorie deficit?
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy, real heavy things has helped me get inches off. And I love it!
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options

Curious what these "tricks" are to which you refer. Care to share?

Well stubborn fat is stubborn for a reason. And none of this is going to matter unless you're near single digits in terms of bf% (for a man.... call it mid teens for a female).

That reason typically involves A fairly complex laundry list of physiological variables. Suffice it to say that certain fat cells are "hardwired" to hold onto its stores. Hormones play a role, which should be obvious given the different typical fat distribution patterns between men and women.

Something known as adrenoreceptors plays a role. Different fat cells have different adrenoreceptor distribution patterns, and if you want to learn more about it, look into beta-2 receptors vs. alpha-2 receptors.

Blood flow plays a role. Stubborn fat areas tend to have poor blood flow.

On and on it goes.

And essentially, there are certain exercise prescriptions that may influence some of these physiological variables to make stubborn fat a little less stubborn. For an in depth review of the reasons why as well as the protocol, I can't recommend Lyle McDonald's book called The Stubborn Fat Solution.

One approach entails dropping carbs to very low levels and pairing it with stead state cardio near daily.

Another approach involves high intensity intervals followed by a short break followed by steady state cardio.

Honestly though, I'd be doing a injustice to the book if I explained it in greater detail.

And again, it's really only for lean folks.
  • alyssamiller77
    Options
    No worries, Lyle McDonald was all you needed to say :) I am familiar with his site.
  • b0t23
    b0t23 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    lots and lots of cardio and core strength stuff.

you cant spot reduce but you can tighten your body.

usually the places we store the most fat are the last places to lose it all.
  • Dlynndavis
    Options
    Thank you. I will do that (or at least try as I build my tolerance).