Question on strength training

Options
So, it took me awhile to find exercise that I enjoyed (zumba!). I've been improving my health and losing weight for almost 2 years now. I am finally trying to start some toning or strengthening, but honestly, it bores me to tears. I was going to try to do it 2-3 times a week, but am making it only once.

My question is: am I doing any good by doing it once a week? Does one have to work the weights 2-3 times a week to get any benefit? I don't want to waste my time if it's not really doing anything for me and I just don't know if I can make it more at this point. I am ok with it just taking longer and will continue with my once a week if it will at least be *some* improvement, even if it just takes longer.

Replies

• marye2
    marye2 Posts: 25
    Options
    Anything is obviously better than nothing. It is suggested that you exercise each muscle 2-3 times a week leaving at least one day in between for the muscles to rebuild. Never train the same muscle on consecutive days. However if you can only handle one day a week that is fine too at least you are building muscle and muscle burns more fat. That is the key! I do not enjoy spending an hour and a half in the gym strength training both my upper and lower body on the same day so I split it up. Keep up the excellent work and good luck to you.
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Wuss! :wink:
  • vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Wuss! :wink:

:huh: :tongue:
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Probably better to work the weights at least 2x per week. However, my experience is that once per week will improve strength. Just at a slower rate.

Also, if weights are not your "thing". Have you tried body weight exercises? Push-ups, pull-ups, abdominal crunches, leg raises, etc, etc. There are lots of great exercises you can do that involve only your body weight. In addition, you can add resistance bands to add a little more exertion. (Check out Youtube for lots of great ideas, one of my favorite channels is Bodyrock.tv)

If you have the time & means, check out a Yoga class. There are lots of strength building exercises in yoga and you get the added benefit of working on breathing properly. This would be a great addition to the Zumba that you are already doing.

What ever you decide, have fun!
  • slriley2
    slriley2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I really like Pilates to tone up! I have a few DVDs and otherwise I google videos and other moves. It uses your own body weight, so I usually just do it while watching TV or listening to music at home! I despise the gym! ;)
  • drbaska
    drbaska Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You might also try a BodyPump class - barbell weight lifting to music in a class environment. I think it's fun.

I would suggest 2x/week for your strength training. It reallly is so important particularly as you get older.

I also like some of the at-home workout programs - 10 minute trainer has some really fast and effective 10 minute routines using resistance bands (which come with the program). I also like Chalean Extreme - 30-40 minute workouts using hand weights or bands - very effective.

I have both programs so let me know if you need any tips on them. :-)
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    slriley2...I don't despise the gym but I told Angela...I will never ever love going like some people do. I go as a means to an end. I find I don't make time for exercise if I'm at home...I find to many other things to do (or my husband finds things for me:smile: . I did get a pilates cd but haven't tried it yet. I'm not sure vanillasugar despises the gym....or going with me at 5:30 in the morning:wink: Unfortunately that's the only time I can consistently go.