Kind of scary...those who don't need to lose.

Options
After looking through some of the profiles I have noticed some seemingly thin and healthy looking people who still have a goal of losing up to 20 pounds or more. No one needs to be able to count your ribs or vertebrae just by looking at you. That is kind of scary. Maybe everyone should send those people messages and tell them how good they look already??

Replies

• stephaniev07
    stephaniev07 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I agree. A lot of the people I see mainly just need to maintain. They look awesome!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    You're so right. I've seen this especially in women..posting that they're at a plateau and can't seem to lose any more weight. I'll look at their profiles and see that they are already at a healthy weight or TOO thin and yet they still want to lose another 10 or 20 pounds. Scary thin people! We weren't all designed to look like 5'10" 115 pound super models! It is a very unrealistic goal for a lot of us! Get real people, get healthy!
  • ChildofGallifrey
    Options
    Hmm maybe they just want to tone their bodies. Perhaps their goal should be to gain a bit of muscle c:
    I know a lot of thin unhealthy people. It's fine to count calories and all but maybe not be obsessed with losing so many.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I question the authenticity of a lot of profile pictures, but I'm certain there are some folks here who have a very inaccurate view of themselves as well. Web sites such as this one do tend to attract some disordered eaters.
  • crystalinda
    crystalinda Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I was browsing profiles the other day and a female had the following quote; "I love my 10 year old boy body". I realize she was trying to be humorous but it kind of creeped me out.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I was a healthy weight when I came on mfp, but CHOSE to lose another 5 kg. My CHOICE. Yes, there are unhealthy targets on here, but the range of what is considered healthy is wide too, so why shouldn't people get support to reach the weight they want to be?
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people here put up older pictures as motivation. And, I don't know about you, but I use pictures that make me look thinner than I really am.
  • megpapier
    megpapier Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I must admit when I first joined MFP months ago I was in the midst of my anorexia at 68 pounds and used this site to maintain or even lose more weight but now I'm 30 pounds heavier and looking to tone and gain some major muscle!!! So I do agree that this site can attract disordered eaters which is sad but we need to be there to support them nd guide them in the right and healthier direction if at all possible. MFP has helped me so much overall. I don't know what I would do without it.
  • ausped
    ausped Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have just about reached my goal of 100 pounds.. I am at 98.6! However, it has been such hard work I bet that I will be logging my calories for a while so I can make sure I don't regain....
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Why does that bother you? Personal preference I'd say, unless they're radically UNDERweight and I haven't seen too much of that here.

Personally I don't understand people who love their curves and say they don't want to be too thin. Having a goal of the top end of healthy range or even sightly into overweight range is mind boggling to me but I've seen it here and so what? People want what people want. Each to their own, it's not killing them either way.

Also, maybe a lot of the very thin people on here ARE just trying to maintain. Maybe they need the continued accountability and support to not get fat again.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    After looking through some of the profiles I have noticed some seemingly thin and healthy looking people who still have a goal of losing up to 20 pounds or more. No one needs to be able to count your ribs or vertebrae just by looking at you. That is kind of scary. Maybe everyone should send those people messages and tell them how good they look already??

Are you going solely on profile pictures? As others have already stated, these pictures might be old, etc. Unless you know someone's height, you can't judge.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I hadnt updated my pic in a yr and a half because I thought I looked terrible. then my friends convinced me to update I realized I look pretty good now. I still want to lose 20 lbs or more, but maybe when I get back there I wont need to lose just tone. there is a wide range and everyone looks good at differing weights.
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    Options
    I think a lot of people here put up older pictures as motivation.

^^this and a lot of people use pictures they find online of thin celeb's and other people as a motiviational tool
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    First of all- I can count all of my ribs- but its not because Im too skinny- I just have a big rib cage...... :laugh:

Weight looks different on everyone so I dont think we can really judge others goals without knowing the specifics? Maybe the picture really looks good, but its not showing the hips that their trying to slim down?

I also know a lot of people who pick a goal weight because they dont know where they will be healthy at and end up changing it when they get closer.

As a model (well retired), emailing these people and saying they look great will not change anything. IF they do have a disorder- all of the compliments in the world will not change that. Just saying.....
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I'm thin (now) but my profile still shows me as losing.... where I'm only attempting to stay within nutritional levels. As far as the "10 year old boy body" - that's where I am and can't say that I love it but I have no chest and so there has to be some humor there insanity would set in - men / boys are cruel.
  • spyork
    spyork Posts: 187
    Options
    It's all about education people, help these people out and give them the advice they need, remember though you have a global fashion system that seems intent on using skeletons as models and junk in gossip mags saying you have to be thin to be sexy and loved etc. What sh1te.

A minor rant but it gets me so mad when i see people with ribs sticking out etc.
  • cclaborn22
    Options

I completely agree! We are here to be healthy or to work towards being healthier. My goal is to maintain, this site helps me see past meal choices and remember how they made me feel or what they made my body look like.
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    It's a personal preference. I have that i want to lose 30 pounds on mine but realistically i am not gonna ever weigh 185 or 195 even. But it keeps you motivated and humbled to keep focusing on your body. i personally feel it's harder to see results in yourself before anyone else.
  • Susancarole
    Susancarole Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. If you saw my picture and my weight loss goal, you might say I am one of these people. My BMI is fine and I'm not someone you would describe as being overweight. However, since getting married almost a year ago, both my husband and I quickly piled on 20 pounds each. All of a sudden, clothes didn't fit, we weren't working out, and going out to eat was a 4-night per week venture at easily $60 per outing. We realized we had to do something or the pounds would continue to creep up on us. We joined myfitness pal together. In the last two months, we both have dropped 10 or so pounds, we are making healthier food choices, we are working out at least four days each week, and to put this icing on this sugar-free cake, we have saved over $180 per week! Our goal is to get back down to the original weight then continue on the program at a calorie/exercise level that will allow us to maintain it long term. We are holding each other accountable and having a great time doing it. I think MFP is for EVERYONE! As much as there will always be overweight people who don't take care of their health, there will also be the opposite end of the spectrum in the skinnies who are also unhealthy. I think the best we can do is put positive messages out there and hope they will realize they can do this the right way for the right reasons. :flowerforyou:
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am at a good weight, and maintaining. I use this site to help maintain my weight with periodic calorie counting (I can put on weight at the drop of a hat, especially as I've got older) and to talk about all things related to fitness and health. My son found it by looking for fitness forums, not weight loss forums. Hope it is useful and fun for you.