Feeling sick while working out?

Options
Lately, I've felt like I was gonna throw up or something either during exercise or right after it..

I was wondering if that meant anything..like I'm not getting enough nutrients or something..and if it's bad..or not always..since on weight loss shows they sometimes throw up.

I haven't thrown up since I was like 7 so when I feel like I'm gonna it really bothers me..just wondering if there's something I can do to not feel sick during/after workouts.

Replies

• nikki91950
    Options
    are you drinking a lot of water before/during your workouts? i used to get sick, too, and i figured out it was from all the water gushing around in my stomach.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I get nauseous every time I do intense cardio and for about 30 minutes after. I always joke that it's how I know I got a good workout. XD
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I get like that if I don't have enough carbs. I usually hit a bolthouse protein plus drink about an hour before I do my boxing class.
    A banana works too..

Also +1 on the water. You may find that sipping here and there works a lot better for you than just drinking like crazy.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I used to but I found out it was because I wasnt leaving enough time between eating and working out, like I would eat and then less then an hour later work out. that and when I wouldnt eat at all and would be working out on an empty stomach...worse feeling ever...
  • ccpace4
    ccpace4 Posts: 100
    Options
    I do drink a lot of water...I guess it's more of like acid reflex I feel working out..I was wondering if I should be eating more protein or something before workouts because usually I do in morning before I eat much
  • ccpace4
    Options
    I do drink a lot of water...I guess it's more of like acid reflex I feel working out..I was wondering if I should be eating more protein or something before workouts because usually I do in morning before I eat much
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I have a blood sugar issue in the morning, and can't do any exercise above walking exertion level until mid day. For me, I get nauseous and overly sweaty. If I have anything with sugar in it - juice, fruit, etc - it makes matters worse. If your issue is similar, you may want to see your doctor.
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I feel like throwing up when doing jumping jacks and situps, I've herd it's because I'm drinking to fast and not resting between workouts
  • ccpace4
    Options
    that could be it..i do drink really fast and am bad at taking breaks..i just like doing it on huge workout rather then resting
  • SuperSnoopy
    SuperSnoopy Posts: 3,464 Member
    Options
    I work out early in the mornings most days 0630 ish. But I always have cereal with fully skimmed milk with a small banana mixed in then and a slice of toast and low fat spread folowed by a couple of small pieces of fruit such as melon and grapefruit.
    I do this at least half an hour before the gym and tend to just sip at my water during the session and I never feel sick or anything like that.
    I think you should ensure you have at least something to eat before you excersise but not directly before.

Best of luck

Super Snoopy Nottingham UK
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you intake daily from which how many carbs?
    What are your stats and what is your goal?
    Having this data you can possible if this is a calories/carbs related issue.
  • ccpace4
    Options
    Yesterday I took in 1056 cals total it says 38% were carbs..going back through the days my percentages for carbs have been around 30-45%..I'm not sure how much the percentage should be..any advice how the breakdown is supposed to look like for protein, fat, and carbs?
  • ritajean3
    ritajean3 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Are you very very short? Is that gross or net cals? If that is gross cals and you are average hight try eatting more your probably sick due to low blood sugar
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Did you change anything about your meal timing or size before your workout?
  • ccpace4
    Options
    I think it could be maybe not enough calories before workout...I am really short..but still tells me not to go under 1200..
    Just the way my schedule worked out it was easier to go to school, work, the straight to gym..I'm gonna try packing a bigger meal rather then "healthy" snacks in between.
    Or try going more mornings and go after breakfast.

What are the best meals to eat before a workout? should it be something big or small? something packed with protein? stuff like that..I have no idea
  • cindywhitney
    cindywhitney Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This would happen to me when I first started. There are a few things that helped me.

Vitamins: I now have to take my vitamins with a meal AFTER I work out. Whenever I took them at breakfast then went and worked out, I felt queasy. I started taking them at lunch (if my workout was between bfast and lunch) or with dinner (if my workout was after lunch). MUCH better. I'm not the only one I know who has this problem.

Second, was simply eating an apple on my way to the gym. It's easy to have on hand, and isn't too heavy, but helps with energy and keeping the nausea away! Another classic pre-workout snack is a slice of wheat bread with peanut butter with banana slices, but that requires a little more calorie allowance & it's not as moblie. Just a banana would work, too. Apples and bananas are something you can throw in your car in the morning (unless it's hot!)

And finally, it can take a few workouts to get some of the crap out of the system. (When I first started working out again, a tough session of pilates made me hurl!) It is a matter of getting used to working out again. Also some HIIT can still get me nauseus, but since I've done these other things, I luckily haven't thrown up.

Good Luck!
  • crystalinda
    crystalinda Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think it has a lot to do with the intensity of your work out as well. Your body is not used to the level of excercise you are doing when you feel this way so its reacting. Its a stress response. Keep at it, it will get better.
  • ccpace4
    Options
    Okay thanks guys & girls for the advice :)