what to order at a mexician place

Options
Im going out to eat with my daughter and friend. We are going to go to a mexican restaurant. So what is a good thing to order......

Replies

• carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Definitely order corn tortillas over flour. Steer clear of things with a huge amount of cheese (lol-hard to do)....I would try for some kind of fajita plate (chicken)and then skip the flour tortillas maybe. Or just have one tortilla and mostly just the fillers.!?
  • iheartyarn
    iheartyarn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I get a taco salad, whole beans, no sour cream, no cheese, but with guacamole and salsa. I am gluten free too so I get it with chips instead of the big shell.
  • crystalinda
    crystalinda Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    - Fajitas
    - Grilled Chicken or Fish tacos
    - Whole Beans (frijoles de la olla)
    - Guacamole
    - Fresh Salsa
    - Shrimp Cocktail
    - Ceviche

so many things to choose from!
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I order a-la carte... One chicken enchilada with verde sauce, no cheese, Pinto or black beans plain whatever ones they have that are the least processed. A side of shredded lettuce and chopped tomato. Some Mexican places this is called a Nino or childs plate... I eat no chips until AFTER I order... I count out 12 chips... and eat only them. Roughly 400 calories

If I am still hungry I wait until I get home and have some Greek Yogurt or some fruit.
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Veggie Fajitas or Tacos al Carbon with grilled chicken and Corn tortillas instead of flour. Most will also give you a salad in place of the beans and rice if you ask. Top the salad with salsa instead of dressing. Mexican is my favorite!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    fish tacos?
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Grilled fajitas...try to stay away from fried food, cheesy options. Stand clear of the chips and salsa cuz you can't just have a few! Tortillas have a lot of calories too so watch out for those (eat corn over flour) Enjoy your dinner and the company of your daughter.
  • Vaanja
    Vaanja Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Shrimp fajitas in corn tortillas! nomnomnom
  • besides the chips that come out, mexican is the easiest cuisine to make healthy! i get a grilled chicken salad with tons of veggies, guacamole and salsa. Sometimes i'll order fajitas, but i never eat the tortillas.
  • kantone999
    Options
    Any of the fish or shrimp dishes are usually pretty light. Ranchero sauces over cream, chicken tamales over pork or beef, charro or black beans instead of refried. I'll sometimes order enchiladas or such and get pico de gallo instead of the fat-laden sauces. The sodium is out the roof so beware the queso! You can ask that a meat entree be prepared without salt.
  • Almiel
    Almiel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Last time I went, I got vegetable fajitas. I only ate a little of the rice & beans as those have lots of calories. On the other hand, it doesn't hurt to splurge once in a while. It's feels good and doesn't affect your weight loss, as long as you don't fall off the wagon because of it. LOL.
  • airycha
    airycha Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    chicken fajitas (we order no skin but i guess it depends on where you go if they have skin to begin with or not) and then don't eat a lot of tortillas (or skip them). Uhh.. toppings... watch cheese, sour cream, etc. You could look for Whole beans, fresh pico. my mom always asks for just regular lettuce and tomato because she doesn't want the pico. watch the chip intake. salsa, not queso. drink water.
  • Bigwrick
    Options
    Ok, when I go to eat Mexican, I ask for grilled chicken breast, grilled or pan seared brocolli and pico de gallo. I think this is about as healthy as you can get. You can sub shrimp for chicken but usually the portion is smaller at the establishment I frequent. Good luck. Of course, you can just work out a little harder for a little longer too.
  • kellykaye_xo
    kellykaye_xo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You could order a Chicken fajita salad without the cheese and sour cream. You could use salsa as your dressing. Be careful on the chips because those alone can blow your day (I know from experience because my favorite food is chips and salsa!).

Enjoy!! :)
  • katemiddletonisawesome
    Options
    Rice and beans - filling and fat is virtually nonexistent. Fajitas with lots of peppers and onions would be good too.

WARNING: STAY AWAY from tortillas! Soft ones, hard ones - bad bad bad.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    fajitas are the best as long as you dont have them bring the extras, cheese, tortillas, sour cream. but I cant go to them because I will not be able to stay away from the chips and salsa. they will do you in everytime. if I want chips and salsa i order guac with it and that is my meal. i try to go there only as a special treat because I know I cant control myself!
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Yea im worried about it. Cause I can not say no to the chips. They do have low calorie and ww meals.. I haven't been there for about a year. I don't go there very often.