Morning weight vs Afternoon Weight

Options
I've heard you should weigh yourself in the morning because it's always your lowest weight. How accurate is this?

I gained half a pound last week, and have been trying to get rid of it, my weight hadn't changed this morning, but I just weighed now, and I'm down 1.5 pounds. I really want to get excited, but I'm worried that tomorrow morning I'll find out there wasn't really a loss, it was just a random weight fluctuation.

Replies

• dcfl2012
    Options
    I prefer the "crack of dawn" morning weigh in's myself. If you weigh in the afternoon-don't you get water retention type weight? I dunno.
  • dcfl2012
    Options
    I prefer the "crack of dawn" morning weigh in's myself. If you weigh in the afternoon-don't you get water retention type weight? I dunno.
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    I always weigh less in the afternoon after I work out...go figure :huh:
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    If it shows you've lost weight tonight, my guess is that you have and probably more than shows. But, I could be wrong. I always weigh more at night. It may only be a pound more but it's more. Let us know in the morning what the scales say. I hope it's what you want.
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    usually i weigh myself in the morning after i pee. afternoon my weight flucuates and i gain a lb or 2.
  • AandJsMommy
    Options
    I weigh in the mornings after I go the bathroom.
  • Sandrakeesee
    Options
    I just started this program on Monday & have lost 7 pounds!! I'm happy, but that just doesn't sound right to me. I ALWAYS weigh first thing in the morning, before any coffee or food & always in my birthday suit. My advice is to weigh first thing in the morning & to only weigh about once a week. I really love this program. I'm diabetic & really trying to get my sugar under control. Good luck to you. Hang in there!!!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you weight yourself, as long as it's always around the same time every week/fortnight and under the same conditions.

You can only compare like for like. It doesn't make sense to weight yourself naked in the morning one week and fully clothed in the afternoon the following week.

And ladies please put your scales away.... they should only be brought out for weigh-in and then put away again. Daily (or sometimes thrice daily) weighing can only give you a snapshot of now... not how things are progressing in the long term.

Successful weightloss is a long game... not a quick fix. You need to develop a sixth sense for calories and not let them rule and ruin your life, but learn how they can work for you. If you want to lose weight and keep it off, you need to find a plan that works for you and which you can live with day in, day out. I'm not saying you'll never be able to have birthday cake, fried chicken or Thanksgiving dinner ever again. You will... and you'll enjoy it all the more, knowing that it's just one meal and not every meal/snack of every day.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    The scale will lie to you. That's why it is suggested that one weighs them self at the same time, only once a week. Water weight will effect how much you way during each day, but weighing a minimum of once a week will give you a better idea.
  • tschmelzer
    Options
    usually i weigh myself in the morning after i pee. afternoon my weight flucuates and i gain a lb or 2.

Samsies!! Once you start moving around drink water exercise and eat your body weight will fluctuate.
  • dkllano
    dkllano Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I always weigh first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom. I have noticed throughout the day of eating and drinking your weight will fluctuate.
  • myshell26
    Options

Samsies!! Once you start moving around drink water exercise and eat your body weight will fluctuate.

Agreed. I think it's better to weigh yourself first thing in the morning after you go to the bathroom. This will be when your stomach is most empty. If you measure in the afternoon you have food and water weight in your system. : )
  • ewhitehurst1
    Options

This is the same for me. Also, I weigh myself every morning because its my own personal way of keeping my self in check day after day, but I only record my weight every wednesday.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I weigh in first thing in the morning.
  • Lupiemomma30
    Lupiemomma30 Posts: 140 Member
    Options

Same here!