Caving to a Craving

Options
So, I tracked today and was elated to see that I lost 2.8 pounds. I spent the rest of the day feeling pretty good and sticking to my eating plan. Unfortunately, I've just caved to a pizza craving. I'll log the pizza and move on, but would love to be able to fight these cravings!

It seems to be a pattern for me that I will crave, crave, crave and while attempting to fight the urge, I eat mindlessly trying to fight the craving. (i.e before having pizza tonight I had a package of Lance crackers, a Fiber One bar, salad, and finished a box of Special K...don't worry, there wasn't that much left in there...maybe a cup) On one hand, I think I should just keep fighting. On the other, I think that I consume more calories trying to fight the craving than if I just had some pizza! Like, tonight I should have just had the pizza and moved on...I would have avoided the crackers, fiber bars, salad, and cereal. Does this make sense to anyone? What are your thoughts?

Replies

• iHEARTcardiacnurses
    Options
    Make a healthier alternative to what you're craving. It's the way to have your sugar-free cake and eat it too!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Find a healthier alternative. Try the Hungry Girl recipes, she has a whole bunch of healthy swaps.

And your body is hungry for a reason, so find healthy foods that will keep you full.
  • 2live4ever79
    Options
    Lean Cuisine makes an awesome pizza and they have pretty good variety of choices. Just eat one and then load up on a salad.
  • nkziv
    nkziv Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Yes that makes complete sense! If I were you I wouldn't snack beforehand. When I'm feeling a really intense craving and I KNOW I'm not hungry, AND it's nighttime (when the cravings usually kick in for me) I go to sleep. Hunger goes away within like 20 seconds. Or if it's not bedtime, maybe take a nap? I find that switching gears in my head turns my attention away from the hunger.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I am exactly the same way! I've decided that it's better to satisfy the craving, in moderation, than try to stave it off, eat a bunch of other stuff, and cave anyway. One piece of pizza (or even two) once in a while won't kill your diet. You can even get a healthier alternative by buying frozen and cooking it (usually less greasy, in my experience).
  • LysieMae
    LysieMae Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Make a healthier alternative to what you're craving. It's the way to have your sugar-free cake and eat it too!

bahahaha. That's awesome. Good advice too. I had to do something similar with my sweet tooth. I'll crave chocolate REALLY bad, but instead of grabbing some brownies or something, I just keep chocolate chip granola bars stocked. It's enough to give me that little bit of chocolate deliciousness with zero guilt.
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, i've so been there. I've had so many times that i've eaten snacks which together have amounted to more than what the indulgence food would have been. Go ahead and indulge every once in a while or workout to make up for your mistakes.
  • rhorae
    Options
    Are you my twin? I do exactly the same thing. It is certainly a mind game. Not sure what advice I can give I am trying not to think about food or change my routine. Mind over matter. But it is a process and it is difficult to achieve. BUT it can and WILL be done. Good Luck to you.. (and me too :>)
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    You may be having these cravings due to missing something that is essential in your diet.
    http://www.naturopathyworks.com/pages/cravings.php
    This is a list of cravings and what your body really wants. I hope it helps! :D
  • rhorae
    Options
    OH and one more thing. Perhaps you are not recognizing thirst. Try drinking a glass of water before you cave in to your crave. It might help.
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    If it is something I am really craving, I will set a goal for myself and it will be my reward. It usually stops my cravings for a while. Before starting MFP I would get Chicken minis almost 2-3 times per week. I just had my 60 days and about day 20 I started craving Chicken minis and I drive past chick-fil-a daily. I told myself once I reached a certain weight and kept it off for a couple of days I would get them. I had them today (yippee) and they ended up giving me a stomach ache. Now I can hopefully not have that craving again :) If I am craving chocolate or something sweet, I will get the cocoa covered almonds by Diamond. Chocolate and somewhat healthy. If you are craving pizza you can take a whole wheat tortilla (I have been eating Ole High fiber low carb tortillas for 71 calories) put some really good pizza sauce on it cover with your favorite toppings and bake it. It is great if you really like thin crust pizzas too. Good luck with your cravings.
  • callherbeautyxo
    callherbeautyxo Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I get cravings like this all the time it's so hard to ignore it, try thin crust pizza by healthy choice =)
  • Karen19_91
    Karen19_91 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think healthy alternatives are cool. But i know that if i deprive myself of some "bad stuff" like chocolate and ICE CREAM i become irritable. literally just depressed. So i have it once a week. Maybe it prevents me from losing weight as fast as i would like. but i honestly believe moderation is key.!
  • SpringFever19
    SpringFever19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    So, I tracked today and was elated to see that I lost 2.8 pounds. I spent the rest of the day feeling pretty good and sticking to my eating plan. Unfortunately, I've just caved to a pizza craving. I'll log the pizza and move on, but would love to be able to fight these cravings!

It seems to be a pattern for me that I will crave, crave, crave and while attempting to fight the urge, I eat mindlessly trying to fight the craving. (i.e before having pizza tonight I had a package of Lance crackers, a Fiber One bar, salad, and finished a box of Special K...don't worry, there wasn't that much left in there...maybe a cup) On one hand, I think I should just keep fighting. On the other, I think that I consume more calories trying to fight the craving than if I just had some pizza! Like, tonight I should have just had the pizza and moved on...I would have avoided the crackers, fiber bars, salad, and cereal. Does this make sense to anyone? What are your thoughts?

I tend to do the exact same thing. I've learned, that for me, if I really want something THAT BAD (you know what I mean), it's better if I just have it and move on, (because how often do you want something THAT BAD? For me, maybe once a month) because if I don't have it, I have everything else around me trying to avoid the one thing I really want. Rather, if I enjoy the thing I've been craving, I eat the right serving size and I am over it!
  • kayjay09
    Options
    I have cravings a lot of the time. I've just recently started myfitnesspal. I'm finding it really hard to keep on track when I have such a busy schedule most of the time. I try to keep to it but find myself straying because of the cravings. Your pizza idea sounds great pizza is one of the cravings I have a lot of the time. Thanks for the idea looking forward to trying it.