what helps?

Options
I have noticed lately that I am maybe 20 cals below my 1200 target after dinner/evening. It never fails, I always want a snack right around now (8pm ish) but if I eat anything I blow my goal... So if I say no to eating and go to bed, I wake up really hungry and then I eat to much at breakfast. Any ideas to stop the want for food?

Replies

• dia705
    dia705 Posts: 43
    Options
    Find a 20 calorie snack. Some raw carrots, a handful of nuts, anything really. Try to budget your calories a little more, can you cut out a drink that isn't water throughout the day to leave you some calories after dinner to curb your appetite. If you are that hungry then you should snack. Cut off should be around 9pm.
  • tschmelzer
    Options
    Your body is hungry so you need to eat. End of story. Being hungry in the morning is fine. Just eat slower and so you will know when you get full and won't overindulge. Also, add a glass of milk or something to our dinner and bam you are perfectly around your calorie goal. Are you working out at all???
  • tschmelzer
    Options
    Find a 20 calorie snack. Some raw carrots, a handful of nuts, anything really. Try to budget your calories a little more, can you cut out a drink that isn't water throughout the day to leave you some calories after dinner to curb your appetite. If you are that hungry then you should snack. Cut off should be around 9pm.

I agree
  • yanageorge
    Options
    A glass of water, the catch getting up in the night. I guess it depends what that 20 cals is made up of/what can you have?
    The other option is exercise to increase your calorie allowance, More choice that way, even 10 min would be a boost.
  • kenzysmom
    Options
    I'd make sure to have a healthy evening snack and not worry about going a little over. I never worry about eating too much of food that is nourishing my body.
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating plenty of fiber and protein. I eat a serving of oatmeal (1/2 dry cup) every morning and it does an excellent job of filling me up for 4-5 hours until lunch. I usually eat a homemade wrap for lunch that consists of a whole wheat wrap, brown rice, black beans, pinto beans, corn, tomatoes, green chilies and jalapenos. It's low cal and low fat, but super high in fiber and protein. About once a month I make a big batch of the wraps and freeze them so I have a quick, easy lunch ready every day. I eat greek yogurt as a snack because it's high in protein. Dinner varies quite a bit.

If all else fails, perhaps you need to eat a little more than 1200 calories a day. Perhaps trying 1220 or 1250? That would allow you to eat an apple or a banana around 8 pm to fill you up before bed. Good luck!
  • nboot1
    nboot1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I work out when I can (3 days a week or so) I never drink ANYTHING with cals, I only drink water and diet ice tea. If I add milk that would be like taking away food lol. Maybe it is just because I have really tried to get rid of all junk, that is what I seem to want at night...maybe I am not hungry, I just want a "treat"? Does anyone else feel like that, or have that problem? what do you do?
  • kegonzales
    Options
    When I first started I wanted to snack in the evening. Make sure to drink lots of water. Often if I think I want something I will drink a glass of water and if I still want something 20 minutes later then I am actually hungry. You could try pushing your evening meal back a bit and see if that helps too. Good luck and stay strong.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options

Careful with the "handful of nuts" if you want something with only 20 calories. 4 peanuts are 23 calories. not quite a handful.
  • dia705
    dia705 Posts: 43
    Options
    Studies show that you release a hormone when you are tired that tricks your brain into thinking it's hungry as well. You might just need to get to sleep a little earlier or catch a cat/energy nap during the day as well.

Yes, a few nuts should have been the statement , but I'm sure a small meal change could help leave enough calories to have a small snack after dinner. I always tend to leave something that would seem sweet for the end of the night gives me the cue it's time to stop eating and it alludes to a dessert in my brain :)
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Just eat something. You'll still be fine if you go over your cals by 30 or 50 (or 200). Seriously.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Sounds like what you're doing right now isn't working for you and you probably won't be able to keep up with it for too long. I would advise eating more calories to give your body what it needs. You will still lose weight, just maybe more slowly. Do what works best for you :)
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I typically have a piece of fruit before bed. It's nice, like dessert, and refreshing, but light. Definately cut out the empty calories during the day (junk, etc.). Stick with fruit, veggies, protein, healthy fats. It makes a huge difference.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    Try miso soup or a tasty beverage!

Miso soup is around 30-40 calories for a large bowl...you can easily have a nice size bowl for only 20 calories >.<

It is also good for you and very tasty :D
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Try miso soup or a tasty beverage!

Miso soup is around 30-40 calories for a large bowl...you can easily have a nice size bowl for only 20 calories >.<

It is also good for you and very tasty :D

I love miso soup! I'm sure the sodium police will come and say otherwise though. You're right though, you can fill up your stomach with hardly any calories!