I finally joined a gym!

Options
My health insurance gave me a free lifetime membership to a gym and I finally joined yesterday!

I'm a 31 year old guy and I'm still about 300 lbs, I'm 5'8'' tall and I have bronchial asthma. So, what machines can/should I use, how fast, and for how long, without passing out or having an asthma attack? I have hypothyroidism too if that makes a difference.

Replies

• jenniferhe
    jenniferhe Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I would encourage you to sign up with a personal trainer at the gym. They are great in figuring out what plan works best for you and helping you set doable goals. :) Good job on joining! That's the first big step.
  • Kymmy81
    Kymmy81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If it's an option, I would try and book in with a personal trainer, even if it's just for a few sessions. They will be able to guide you to safely work out within your limits. I used to think PT's were a real luxury (and to some extent, they are) but the assistance and motivation is priceless.

Failing that, I would suggest just starting out on the treadmill, at a moderate pace (so your heart rate increases, but not so you're out of breath) and increase your time on their each week - 20 mins one week, 25 minutes the next, etc.

Good luck!
  • kenzysmom
    Options
    I would definitely ask to have a trainer show you around and how to use the equipment. At my gym I started out trying the different classes and walking on the treadmill. I've recently graduated to the elliptical and the bike. Next step ... The stepper if I'm brave enough. Haha I work with a trainer once a week and she works with me on some of the weight machines but I usually don't do those on my own. You should be able to get at least one session free or cheap! Good luck and enjoy!
  • freakingenius
    freakingenius Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I 3rd the trainer, if only for a couple of sessions to get you started. I would suggest a stationary bike (I prefer the reclining type), treadmill (with some free weights, nothing too heavy) or the elliptical. Pop your ipod in and burn off some calories! You can control your own pace and take it a little slower if you start to feel bad. What kinds of classes does your gym offer? Dont be afraid to take a class. Let the instructors know about your asthma or any other health conditions and they can tell you how to modify the moves or the pace.

Congrats on joining the gym!! =D
  • tschmelzer
    Options
    I would encourage you to sign up with a personal trainer at the gym. They are great in figuring out what plan works best for you and helping you set doable goals. :) Good job on joining! That's the first big step.

I totally agree. Just a few sessions with a trainer will get you on pace and educated enough so you don't hurt yourself. Especially when lifting weights form is so so important!!! Good luck!! I love the gym and take as many classes as I can throughout the week :)
  • JenniferH007
    Options
    i agree with every one ask a trainer for help they are the best build lean musle and every thing will come
  • tomcat4680
    Options
    I guess I should have mentioned this: My insurance also covers a free consultation and orientation with a trainer so I'll definitely do that too. They charge extra after that but my insurance won't cover it and I can't afford it.