315 calories -- Sweet and Sour Sockeye Salmon w/ brown rice

Options
IMG00060-20111111-1924.jpg

Ingredients:
3 oz fillet Wild Alaskan Salmon (I prefer the ones from Costco but then you will need to cut in half)
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
3 tbsp. brown sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
pinch of pepper

Mix pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, brown sugar, lemon juice, and vegetable oil in a small sealable container. (you will not use all this mixture in the end, but you need quite a bit to marinate the fish. Add the fillet (defrosted and raw) right to the mixture and coat both sides. Seal and place in the refrigerator for at least an hour to make sure it soaks up all the flavor. While you're waiting, you can cook your rice. After at least an hour, take the fish out and heat a spritz of olive oil on a pan. Sear both sides of the fish for at least a few minutes (poke the center with a fork to make sure it's completely cooked through)... it should be flaky and moist with an orangish/pink color when its done.

Serve over 1/2 cup of brown rice. You can serve with a side spinach salad for a perfect meal and not add too many calories. If you use a 6 oz fillet, your calories will go up to about 415. Enjoy! :)

(the measures for the marinade are approximate since I eyeball everything. You may have to adjust for the desired texture)

Always try to use WILD CAUGHT salmon. If you buy farm-raised fish, it generally has more fat and less omega-3 fatty acids!

Replies

• jem728
    jem728 Posts: 88
    Options
    Wow, this looks yummy. I can't wait to try it.
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    That looks easy to make and also looks really yummy. :smile:
  • eddyca
    eddyca Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Looks fantastic, can't wait to try it! Is membership required to shop at Costco?
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Bumpin' this! :)
  • _blackbird
    Options
    Yes it is... if you don't have a membership to Costco, Trader Joe's or other natural food stores usually have wild caught salmon!
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    Options
    Looks fantastic, can't wait to try it! Is membership required to shop at Costco?

Yup! And the stores around me are $50 a year! :( I just stick with Sam's and pay $40. It's a little cheaper.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    Options
    Have you tried it with orange juice? My hubby isn't a lemon fan, and I was curious if the orange would work, too?
  • _blackbird
    Options
    Have you tried it with orange juice? My hubby isn't a lemon fan, and I was curious if the orange would work, too?

You don't really taste the lemon much... it's to balance out the sugar. But if you use orange juice, just make sure to add a bit of water to dilute it otherwise it will be super sweet!
  • eddyca
    eddyca Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Yes it is... if you don't have a membership to Costco, Trader Joe's or other natural food stores usually have wild caught salmon!

Swweeeeet I go to Trader Joe's almost everyday. I'll make sure to pick up the ingredients tomorrow :)
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Yummy : )
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    Options

You don't really taste the lemon much... it's to balance out the sugar. But if you use orange juice, just make sure to add a bit of water to dilute it otherwise it will be super sweet!

LOL every time I say something like that about ingredients he won't eat (onions, peppers, etc.... picky *kitten*!), he claims he can taste it.

If he doesn't like it, more for me! :)
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Even with how stuffed I am this looks amazing, my mouth is watering!
  • kko64
    kko64 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lynxcoco
    lynxcoco Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    This recipe is right on time...I was getting tired of my salmon with just old bay seasoning! Thanks...I know what I will have for Sunday's dinner