Help me get over these self destructive thoughts!

Options
KayaSamantha
KayaSamantha Posts: 157 Member
So I'm having some serious pity party time right about now and needing to get over the self-destructive thoughts and feelings that I have asap! I signed up for a 80s themed dance/aerobic class tonight and was so excited to go but left in tears at the end. Why? Because all i could think about for the whole class was how fat i looked in my short shorts and cutoff sweatshirt while the other girls wore tight fitting leotards and crop tops. No one said anything rude, I had a great workout and didn't take a single shortcut in class, and I feel physically strong and great, so why am I feeling so overwhelmed and inadequate?!?!?!!!!!! I am literally having a meltdown over this and hate it! I hate feeling "fat" all the time!!!!
Thanks for reading and I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Replies

• ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Turn that negative into a positive! Sounds like you have some self esteem issues. I did too! That's what keeps me going. I want my outside to reflect how I feel inside! I have a picture of myself at my heaviest and I just look at that and think "I never want to look or feel like that again!"
  • RNMDFF
    RNMDFF Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I understand completely how you feel, but I am not sure how to help. It will eventually pass.
    You are gorgeous, and you know it. You will reach any goal you set your mind on.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    awwwww, baby gurl... that's so sad! don't feel inadequate, i'm sure a lovely person who will shed those baggages and feel great soon! just stick to it and remind yourself that u r awesome!!!
  • timetoembrace
    Options
    I heard from someone that had gastric bypass surgery and attended weightloss counciling speak on those very thoughts. She told me that after being "fat" that getting over those images would never pass. It was something we would have to live and deal with everyday. It has been 2 yrs since I lost my weight and I still see myself as fat, even though I am 60 pounds lighter and wear the size I wanted to be in. I wish those thoughts would go away, but I continue to tell myself everyday how far I have come and that I will NEVER go back to that weight again. I love myself too much to let myself go. Hang in there and believe in yourself.
  • Moonbyebye
    Moonbyebye Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Turn that negative into a positive! Sounds like you have some self esteem issues. I did too! That's what keeps me going. I want my outside to reflect how I feel inside! I have a picture of myself at my heaviest and I just look at that and think "I never want to look or feel like that again!"

^ this is great advice! I would do the same. I bet you were the only one there thinking of how "fat" you looked. We humans are our biggest enemy and critic. Stay positive. You are lovely.
  • ksmith2187
    Options
    Your mind is always the quickest, you said you felt strong and took no short cuts - that's the best result of all, your perception of yourself will follow, its the brain's retarded cousin.. always falling behind but it eventually catches up!
  • Justkf
    Justkf Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Regardless of how everyone else looked. You SHOWED up and did it! That is your milestone and you can mark it down! Besides 80's fashion was seriously goofy-no one looked really great. B

BTW, your picture shows how pretty you are, remember that.
  • Emily102102
    Emily102102 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Just remember that we are our own worst critics! Alot of ppl don't see all our flaws the way we do!
    & confidence is sexy :) The fact that you participated is AWESOME!! Don't be so Hard on your self! Just Keep particapating :)
  • tyrog11
    tyrog11 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Anson is right! You need to love yourself no matter what you look like, otherwise it won't matter what the scale says. Looking at your photo's you are a beautiful woman. I've lost 52 lbs in the last 9 weeks. I feel great and am making the outside match the inside. Love yourself, Beautiful...The cover of the book isn't nearly as interesting as the story inside!:wink:
  • DesertSunsetRain
    Options
    Try and focus on how much you kicked *kitten* during the class. You made it the entire way through and you didn't take and breaks. That's a great accomplishment. You rock.
  • beachlove09
    beachlove09 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I definitely know how you feel. i go to a school where all the girls seem like they are super models- but truth is- no one is perfect! and once you realize how much inner beauty you have- you will no longer focus on comparing yourself to others!

what i do is- every time i have a negative thought about my body- i quickly try to think of a good one to counter-act it! try it!
  • jasmineheaven
    Options
    So I'm having some serious pity party time right about now and needing to get over the self-destructive thoughts and feelings that I have asap! I signed up for a 80s themed dance/aerobic class tonight and was so excited to go but left in tears at the end. Why? Because all i could think about for the whole class was how fat i looked in my short shorts and cutoff sweatshirt while the other girls wore tight fitting leotards and crop tops. No one said anything rude, I had a great workout and didn't take a single shortcut in class, and I feel physically strong and great, so why am I feeling so overwhelmed and inadequate?!?!?!!!!!! I am literally having a meltdown over this and hate it! I hate feeling "fat" all the time!!!!
    Thanks for reading and I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Aw! I wish I could give you a hug! Dont feel down you have lost 22lbs and your doing a great job of making a good change for your life. Why don't you call one of your family members or friends and talk to them or pay someone a visit so your not lonely while your sad. Hope you feel better <3
  • KayaSamantha
    KayaSamantha Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so so so so much!!!!!! <3