5'2" What is a good weight for me

Options
I have heard from so many friends, family and my weightloss doctor on what should be my perfect goal. My friends and family say 150 pounds. However my lapband doctor says to have a normal BMI my high is 141 and low is 121.

What has been good for others around my height?

Thanks, Julie :wink:

Replies

• NoAddedSweetener
    Options
    I'm 5'1 (really 5' 1/2" but I round up :) ) I'm told my 'ideal' weight is around 116. I know thats a pretty lofty goal, and is not what I shoot for, but just thought I'd share!
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Hi Julie....I am 5" 5" and now weight 150 and still need to lose my muffin top. I'm thinking I have about 20 pounds.
  • SHERRYBERRY11
    SHERRYBERRY11 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    IVE ALWAYS BEEN TOLD 141-127lbs....IM 5'2 AS WELL!!!!!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I'm a little taller - 5'4"... I've read the ideal weight for my height is around 118lbs. I am currently 145 (ish) pounds and am happy here.

I say don't focus on the number as much as focusing on how you feel, how you look, etc. :)
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I am 5'2-3ish and currently weigh 164. My ultimate goal is 142-144 which is still on the heavy end but honestly after being stuck at 168 for a year I don't even care about the whole "ideal weight" chart b/s. I just want to feel and look good. Even if I never see 150, I want to be proud in my own skin.
  • flutterby6973
    Options
    depends on your frame too... i am 5 ft even and i have been told in the area of 110 to 120
    i have been there in my younger years and it does not look good on me to go under 115 ... my current goal is 130 qnd then i will try to get to 120 and maintain
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" and I think I looked my best between 120-125. That said, I was 136 for a very long time and while at the time I thought I was fat, I would be ecstatic to reach that weigh now and it's what I have set as my initial goal. According to my calculations, it's the highest weight we can be and still be in the healthy BMI range.
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm not 5'2....but a good rule of thumb is 100 pounds for 5 feet, and any inch over that is 5 pounds. So, for a person 5'2", 110 would be the low end of the range. I would think anything between that and 130 would be healthy. Keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat, and takes up less space, so the lower your body fat, the smaller you will be, but you might weigh more! It sounds like your doctor has a good idea of where you should be.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" with a small frame and the charts say 101-121. My Dr. feels that's low and I should be shooting for 130-140. I figure I'll know when I get there.
  • newmeat30
    newmeat30 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2.
    When I started in January I was 157.6 and it did not look pretty. Now I waiver between 124-126 lbs. I am completely happy with my weight (but the skin on my stomach is horrific).
    As an adult I've never been below 120. Keep in mind that the ideal weight will also depend on your body type and where you gain the weight. All 5'2 women are not created equal. I happen to gain all of my weight in my stomach, but I have always had very athletic (and easy to tone) legs (and an almost non-existent butt).

It is good to have a "goal range" in mind, but don't be afraid to reassess your goals when you get close to them. ;)
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    If you go to 'tools' at the top of the page and plug n your height and weight, it tells you what your BMI is right now and it shows you the range for a healthy BMI at your height. For a 5'2" woman I think it said around 101-137ish. But you have to realize that a person with a lot of muscle mass might have a higher weight and therefore higher BMI value but actually be healthier than a person of their same weight with more body fat and less muscle. So it is an okay starting point but not completely accurate for everyone.

I definitely would listen to your dr. over friends and family, unless the friends and family are experts in nutrition/weight management/etc. ;). Friends and family are biased and give personal opinions. Dr's/nutritionists/dietitians are concerned with your health, not their opinion of what weight will make you look good to their personal tastes. :-)
  • MariaAlbinaxoxo
    MariaAlbinaxoxo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and hoping to get to 125 by New Years!
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'm a little taller - 5'4"... I've read the ideal weight for my height is around 118lbs. I am currently 145 (ish) pounds and am happy here.

I say don't focus on the number as much as focusing on how you feel, how you look, etc. :)
    Amen! :)
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on how you feel, and also your body type. I am short too (5'2 also) but I am more athletic and muscular. BMI tells me (I hate BMI, never believe it) that I should be between 120 and 140 I think.

My original goal was 150, but I only made it to 165 before I gained weight back, but honestly I will be shooting for 165 again. I felt great at that weight, I think I looked great. Maybe I could have gotten down to 150, but I think I would be sick if I were 120. Maybe a short girl who is also small boned and petite could easily do 120, but that is not healthy for me.

Plus, I would rather be 165, then try for 140 or 150, get frustrated and end up gaining. That's what happened before, I was 165 and I put a lot of pressure on myself to get down to 150 before my wedding. It backfired, I gained back 13 pounds, and since then the remaining 35-ish pounds to put me back at my original weight. I would kill to be back at 165 and happy, rather than fighting to get down to 150.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    5'2.5" - current weight is 142lbs... aiming for 130.
  • M3CH4N1C
    M3CH4N1C Posts: 157
    Options
    Guesstimating, I'd say 115 to 135 lbs. would be a healthy, optimal weight. Weight and body fat percentage does not ultimately indicate health.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    150 definetly sounds too big for your heights!
    im 5"1 and im 105-110lbs so id think about 120-125 ?

edited to add: this depends on your body fat and fitness too, a wider example would probably be more 115-130
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 my weight doctor told me 124 is my ideal weight. I'm shooting for 140-120 range, anywhere in between that, whatever looks good on me, whatever I can wear a bikini and say "I look good" LOL. That is where I want to be.
  • LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'm not 5'2....but a good rule of thumb is 100 pounds for 5 feet, and any inch over that is 5 pounds. So, for a person 5'2", 110 would be the low end of the range. I would think anything between that and 130 would be healthy. Keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat, and takes up less space, so the lower your body fat, the smaller you will be, but you might weigh more! It sounds like your doctor has a good idea of where you should be.

I would look sickly at 110 being 5'2! I am aiming for 135. :)
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and aiming for 115 - 120, which is where I looked and felt the best before. However, we all carry our weight differently, so it really depends on the individual.