BEER & DIETING

Hey so i had some questions for you guys about beer??

I was a heavy drinker before i started dieting...corona was my beverage of choice...
I haven't drank for 2 weeks, since i started dieting... :( i do miss it but i feel a lot better now...

Up until i started dieting and exercising i had anxiety problems, insomnia whatever.
every night i would go to sleep thinking i was going to die. And im not looking for pity but
this is true, so i turned to drinking, i would pretty much drink evey night during the week
and every saturday, it was to the point i would drink sunday after going to church.
now that I'm on my way to weight loss i don't have anxiety. But once i taste alcohol
i wont stop til im totally drunk.

When i started my diet i told myself that i would only drink on my birthday,
December 8th I'm turning 21and i wanna do it big, i mean you only turn 21 once.
And i know im gonna get completely drunk.
I told myself while on this weight loss journey i wouldn't drink
because it's empty calories and its full of sugar.
i have already separated myself from my friends who smoke marijuana
after having my son, and now I'm gonna cut all ties with my friends that drink.

so my questions are...
Do any of you have this problem and how do you cope?
Do any of you drink a beer or 2 from time to time??
I stick to corona light, which is 99 calories i know theirs lighter
drinks out there any suggestions?

Replies

• JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    im a drinker. its funny because i just got done posting about this on my profile. I use to drink 4 or 5 times a week, probably like a 12 pack. Now i have a 6 pack every other weekend on average. Ive lost 26 pounds since last January. My weight loss has been slow, but im cool with that :drinker:
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    but my beer of choice is shiner bock, which is 140 something calories a pop. i tend not to log, when i do drink because, after 6 of those, and my buzzed out munchies, im sure thats 65% of what my goal is per day! lol. i would say enjoy yourself from time to time, but this line" But once i taste alcohol i wont stop til im totally drunk." that concerns me. ive struggled with addiction before, it wasnt with alcohol but we wont get into that. If its thats much of an issue, dont drink.
  • Football_N_Guns
    Football_N_Guns Posts: 297 Member
    I drink beer once a week. Usually on Friday nights. Then I work my *kitten* off on Saturday, its worth it to me. I cannot give up my beer.
  • 2myfuture
    2myfuture Posts: 192 Member
    The bud select 55 is not that bad. I have 5 kids and I have a drink to "unwind" so I realized that just having a drink makes me feel more relaxed. So now I just use a half of a shot. I drink rum and diet coke the half shot is 69 calories so not so bad.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Sometimes I have a beer or scotch or other alcohol. I get what I like and do not worry about the calories. It is a luxury.

Hey, I just looked it up and a 12 oz of beer is around 150-200 kcal, while a jigger of 80 proof scotch is about 97 kcal. I guess I should switch to scotch.
    Life is good. :bigsmile:
  • I try to save the drinking for special occasions, but that's not always the case. Ninety percent of the time I'll drink with friends, and since everyone's pretty much drinking the same thing and pooling money for beverages, bud light or bud ice is what we're drinking. I have no qualms, though in the beginning I'm wondering if I should log the cans... but I don't want to see the damage I'm doing to my food diary. Very rarely I get a craving for beer at home also and try to go light. I may grab a miller chill... the 100 cal kinds....and I TRY to not overdo it by taking down the entire 6-pack.. buuuuut what'reyougonnado?
    Whenever I drink, I just don't log. One reason is not only the beer----but that meal that comes afterwards. Whenever I'm drunk, I try to keep calories on the mind... but by the end of it, I'm sitting in a the drive-thru ordering the greasiest , cheesiest things I can get my hands on...

I say do it though---heck, you wont turn 21 again.... I mean, unless you build a time machine, but.. yeeeah...those are expensive.. I'd like to think. One night isn't going to hurt you---calories wise I mean. I say just live it up that night and have yourself a blast! if I find my list of decent beers, I'll message ya also.
  • ZeroTX
    ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
    I drink light beer (usually) and I COUNT it... I occasionally drink a "full calorie"beer, but I don't like to give up all food for beers.

That said, reading what you wrote, you have an alcohol problem, not just a food problem. For you, I would recommend complete abstinence and consider joining alcoholics anonymous or a similar help program for addiction. An adult person should be able to enjoy ONE drink and enjoy it and be done. If you are finding yourself unable to do so, you have a serious problem with alcohol that cannot be resolved on a forum discussion board... please seek help.

-Z
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member

so my questions are...
    Do any of you have this problem and how do you cope?
    Do any of you drink a beer or 2 from time to time??
    I stick to corona light, which is 99 calories i know theirs lighter
    drinks out there any suggestions?

1) nope I don't have this problem. my mindset is that it isn't a diet but a lifestyle change.
    2) yep. I average 2-5 beers in a month.
    3) can't help you there. I prefer heavier beers. I think they called them stouts. darker type. I don't stress over the calories. I drink what I like.

I never gotten sooo drunk I pass out. I remember in my early 20's I attended a wedding and I downed I think about 20 oz worth of almost straight tequila. According to everyone I was very friendly and wanted to dance, alot. mostly with inanimate objects. but people too. ( =
  • lili200
    lili200 Posts: 200 Member
    Can u drink 1 bottle ? Or you want many? I drink glass of red wine every evening. The main question is if that beer in under control? If u drank you have many calories+ you don't have control of what u eat
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    I drink light beer (usually) and I COUNT it... I occasionally drink a "full calorie"beer, but I don't like to give up all food for beers.

That said, reading what you wrote, you have an alcohol problem, not just a food problem. For you, I would recommend complete abstinence and consider joining alcoholics anonymous or a similar help program for addiction. An adult person should be able to enjoy ONE drink and enjoy it and be done. If you are finding yourself unable to do so, you have a serious problem with alcohol that cannot be resolved on a forum discussion board... please seek help.

-Z
    The OP wrote:

"I told myself while on this weight loss journey i wouldn't drink
    after having my son, and now I'm gonna cut all ties with my friends that drink."

It sounds like she is going in a good direction. It is normal for people to go out drinking when they turn 21, so her question makes sense to me. :smile:
  • itontae
    itontae Posts: 138 Member
    or... you could start a trend...don't drink at all on your 21st birthday!
    Have fun whatever you decide
  • Caerthilian
    Caerthilian Posts: 21 Member
    I drink a glass (sometimes 2) of red wine every night, though I always drink it with water, and include it in my calorie count. It's pretty much part of the culture here and I've given up pretty much every other treat!
  • I drink light beer (usually) and I COUNT it... I occasionally drink a "full calorie"beer, but I don't like to give up all food for beers.

-Z
    The OP wrote:

"I told myself while on this weight loss journey i wouldn't drink
    after having my son, and now I'm gonna cut all ties with my friends that drink."

It sounds like she is going in a good direction. It is normal for people to go out drinking when they turn 21, so her question makes sense to me. :smile:

thanks hun, i know i obviously don't have an alcohol problem if I've gone 2 weeks already without a beer, but one can lead to two and so on and so fourth and i am turning 21 once so im gonna DO IT! :)
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    drinking is like the worst thing ever for weight loss! whenever i drink i always drink more than i thought i would, so that means more calories AND i usually end up eating something, maybe not something that bad but still, more calories than i really needed for the day. It drives me crazy and i can't do it! I rarely have time to exercise to get those 800-1000 calories down so i have to basically give up social drinking for the most part. i feel a lot better and it's only been a couple weeks. it doesn't seem worth it like it used to anymore...kind of like cookies or chips! :)
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    I haven't had a beer now for 4 weeks and i like my Guinness ~(210 calories per pint) LOL, I have been having a few glasses of red wine and last night drank white wine and soda on a night out felt a bit strange drinking wine and soda as i would have normally drunk 10 - 14 pints on a night out and to top it all just weighed and ive lost weight :bigsmile:
  • jennetters
    jennetters Posts: 16 Member
    i love drinking wine!! it is my downfall...because i can't have just one glass. and then i start to think i'm hungry so it all goes from there. i just save it for the weekend...i also save calories for the wine. i've gotten a lot better at having 1-3 glassess...lol and not the whole bottle! since i get up early to run or work out it is starting to be more of a priority over some other things. this weight loss is a slow journey for me too but i am ok with that.
  • drinking is like the worst thing ever for weight loss! whenever i drink i always drink more than i thought i would, so that means more calories AND i usually end up eating something, maybe not something that bad but still, more calories than i really needed for the day. It drives me crazy and i can't do it! I rarely have time to exercise to get those 800-1000 calories down so i have to basically give up social drinking for the most part. i feel a lot better and it's only been a couple weeks. it doesn't seem worth it like it used to anymore...kind of like cookies or chips! :)

I see we understand each other, and the overhaul of food after is defiantly a problem also, but Im doing pretty good when I drink I mean its not like I get black out drunk but being that i have 8-12 beers plus the drunk meal after :/ where I don't care what I eat I just order whatever! I have a lot of drinkers in my house and I'm the only one on a diet no one takes me seriously because I was so off and on but your so right about the beer being like cookies and chips I barely include that I might have a treat but not chips, it's out of my life for the time being. :) lol thanks for understanding I'm being looked at like an alcoholic!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    But once i taste alcohol
    i wont stop til im totally drunk.

This is the definition of alcohol problem. Abstaining from drinking just means you're a recovering addict, it doesn't mean you don't have a problem. Alcoholics can completely abstain from drinking with no problem, but once they have a drink, they don't stop drinking. Most people without a problem can enjoy a single drink without the need to keep drinking.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    I drink beer or 4 from time to time.

I would never drink a lite beer. Why waste calories on something disgusting?
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    I would never cut back on how much or the types of drinks I have, because part of being healthy is making changes that are sustainable in the long run. And I really love good beer and good wine. I go out for a few (or many) drinks about once a week, I log it, and I make sure to exercise to fit the calories in. So far, it doesn't seem to be hindering me in any way.

My recommendation is to go crazy on your 21st birthday, because that's probably the most appropriate day of your life in the US to drink too much. Other than that, it's obvious from your first post that you understand the negative impacts than drinking can have on weight loss and overall health, and you've already made commitments to making better choices! Enjoying a night every once and a while won't make you gain weight overnight. Have an AWESOME birthday!! :]