New to Running

Options
Do any of you have any advice for someone new to running? I would really like to get into it. I've been going to a High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) class, since last Friday. So I've been to a total of 4 classes. They do a lot of running in there. 1/4 of a mile at a time.

Example: Run around the Fitness Center, do 10 pull ups, 25 Kettlebell lifts, then Run again and repeat a total of 3 times.

I always come in last and don't always get to finish the entire workout before they start putting stuff away. It really annoys me. I hate coming in last, but I hate not being able to completely finish more. I keep thinking, maybe it's because they are in better shape than I am and they know the routines. I don't. So maybe in time I'll get familiar and gain speed.

However, yesterday we had to run around the track and I only made it 1 lap before having a knot (not a cramp - a hard ball of something) on the outter side of my left calf. The instructor had me go inside and row. So I ended up working out alone, did not enjoy that as much.

I thought over this weekend I would try running on my own and see if I couldn't get better. The same thing occurred in the same leg. I have ALWAYS had that problem, well at least since 2007 when I trained for my first 5K. It never fully went away. How I ran that 5K I have no idea and I did not run fast. I think I completed it in 46 or 47 minutes. I can't remember. I am not sure why this occurs, what it is or how to prevent it. I believe if it did not happen I could run, maybe not fast, but certainly a whole lot better.

Have any of you ever experienced a similar issue? Know what is? Have any advice, suggestions? I would appreciate any information you have. This is something I really want to be able to do.

Thank you in advance for any responses.

~T~

Replies

• 164fit4me
    164fit4me Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're trying to do too much all at once and need to pace yourself a bit. It definitely takes time to build up any running endurance. I've been running for a couple of years now and only just recently completed my first timed 10k. Have you tried the "Couch Potato to 5k" program? It's a great way to get started. The other exercises will get easier the more you get into it, however, if you go too hard too fast, you won't be going at all and your "knot" may get worse. Just give yourself time and think positively...coming in last is better than not coming in at all! Good luck :wink: