cheating and metabolism

Options
baya35
baya35 Posts: 6 Member
Ok, so last night I definately broke my diet, but I keep telling myself that it's OK because "cheating" probably rises my metabolism, does anybody know if that it's true or am i fooling myself?

Replies

• lesley48
    lesley48 Posts: 2
    Options
    sorry i think your fooling yourself :(
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    not sure about that, I blew mine last week cuz of stress, and have dropped 2.5 lbs ! And even if it is an old wive's tale, remember, it's ONLY ONE DAY!
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    It depends on how often you are cheating. If its once in a great while you may have tricked your metabolism a bit but its never guaranteed. Just get back into the groove today and forget about the cheat
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I dont think you are completely wrong. There is the zigzag dieting people do to break a plateau, and I have broken through 2 plateaus by having a really high calorie day one day and then a normal calorie day the next. Our bodies are funny that way. Now I raise my calories by 300 on the weekends and stay at MFP guideline for 2 lb a week loss Monday thru Friday. It all works out in the end.
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Well if you are talking about the Zig Zag plan I will say a few of my friends are using it and seem to have had some good come from it. This is all about you and what works for you. You know you better than anyone else. :flowerforyou:
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Some think that calorie shifting or having a "free" day helps your body avoid a plateau. I don't know if it's scientifically true or not,
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I would say that severe cheating is not good, but altering the amount of calories you eat every day WILL help. Look up the message boards on zig-zagging. It works wonders for those on a plateau.

You need so switch up how much you eat just like you need to switch up the exercise that you do.
  • BeckyKSmith
    Options
    I would say that severe cheating is not good, but altering the amount of calories you eat every day WILL help. Look up the message boards on zig-zagging. It works wonders for those on a plateau.

You need so switch up how much you eat just like you need to switch up the exercise that you do.

Oh, and by the way, it works for me! VERY well in fact.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i think cheating once a week does help. i have found that if i stick to my 1200 cals through the week the extra on a friday or saturday doesnt do me any harm. Its like zig zagging which loads of people say is really good, so i wouldnt worry too much if it was just one day.
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by cheating. Did you go over by 500? 1000? 2500? Was it on fatty salty garbage?

There are some people here that have had success with calorie cycling.

Just make sure you log everything so you can find the patterns in your unhealthy choices, drink LOTS of water and move forward.
  • BeckyKSmith
    Options
    sorry i think your fooling yourself :(

Have you tried Zig-zagging? Don't knock it till you try it!
  • baya35
    baya35 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the input!:smile: I guess I could try zigzagging, it just seems like it would be even more work! it 's hard enough just to just make it around 1200cal a day!
  • erinr73
    Options
    I am definitely going to check out the zig-zagging thing - I agree that it's tough to get your exact calorie count every day but I have lost weight off and on over the years and I also have found that just like you hit plateaus with exercise you also need to kind of fool your body with different calorie amounts per day (not excessive changes though).
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    It depends on a number of factors. Long term deficits can downregulate thyroid hormones. A few days of higher intake can bump these hormones back up.

I recall this being more important to do in lean individuals in terms of frequency, but I could be wrong on that. I have a long list of reading to do on this topic.

That being said, cheat days will also help psychologically, provided that (IMO):
    1) You don't go on a ridiculous 5k surplus binge.
    2) You can get right back on the diet afterwards.

EDIT: But in the end, you could still just be fooling yourself. My preference is to occasionally take a day at maintenance intake. I don't call this a cheat day.