hi

Options
hi im 48 and decided that i wish to lose some weight. my daughter has nagged me to come on here and give it a try. :-)
people please feel free to add me as a friend as i could do with some to keep me motivated. good luck to everyone on here

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Welcome and good luck to you.
  • Floridamom82
    Options
    Welcome Janice and Best Wishes :flowerforyou:
  • Lynda135
    Lynda135 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Janice! I too am 48 and need a workout buddy or just some inspiration. I've been working out faithfully for three weeks and have not seen any changes. I know it takes time, but three weeks and nothing? I am watching my calories and logging them each day so not sure whats going on. This is my first time posting on here so I have no friends as well, feel free to add me!
  • RagtimeLady
    RagtimeLady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hi, Janice! Thanks for the add! We "mature" women gotta stick together. Our challenges are so much different than when we had younger bodies. Those on the outside don't usually seem to get it - it's much harder than we're told. For example:
    . I've been working out faithfully for three weeks and have not seen any changes. I know it takes time, but three weeks and nothing?

That was EXACTLY me a few months ago! Fact is, I went from very, very sedentary to working out every day, hoping to shock my metabolism into working again. HAH! No such luck! My advice? Stick with it and don't expect the scale to budge anytime soon. Here's what happens. As we get older, I'm reading, we not only lose muscle mass, but fat cells start to accumulate in our muscle tissue. Now that you're exercising, your body is doing a lot of replacing - fat cells with muscle cells, and as you're working those creaky, weak muscles, you're going to accumulate fluid as your body tries to get rid of waste products inside your muscles. Look at my diaries - you'll see I went for about 6 weeks of serious, daily exercise with a calorie deficit of 500-1000 calories per day and GAINED weight! That was horrible! That's why my signature says "Finally the scale is going in the right direction!"

Starting in September, I set my calorie-burning goal as 5000 a week - that's more than 700 a day. I rarely miss that goal since, but my weight loss is still slow, or at least much less than the numbers say it should be. The good news is I'm winning calorie-burn challenges! Bottom line - as mature women, approaching or in menopause, our bodies just don't want to change so easy...
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Welcome to My Fitness Pal. Just make a lot of friends on this site as it really helps to motivate you. Open your diary for friends and log everything, everyday, good or bad. Exercise when you can. :smile: