Vegetarian proteins

Options
Hey, can anyone give me some good vegetarian protein ideas that aren't going to add too many carbs? I have been using whey protein shake mix in the morning which helps a lot, but I need some other ideas.

Thanks!

Replies

• slwwilson
    Options
    Hey, can anyone give me some good vegetarian protein ideas that aren't going to add too many carbs? I have been using whey protein shake mix in the morning which helps a lot, but I need some other ideas.

Thanks!
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Beans, lentils and nuts are all good sources. There is this soup mix called I believe "Hams 15 bean soup". It is very inexpensive and comes in different flavors. I use the cajun one since there is no meat broth used. It makes quite a lot but I usually will make the whole thing then freeze the rest in serving sized containers. It is really good. I have also been on this homemade cashew nut butter kick recently. It is a little higher in calories but I only use 1 Tbs instead of 2 as a serving (220 per serving) and put it on half of a wheat bagel for breakfast.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Peas, broccoli, asparagus, and yeah ... nuts, beans, and sprouts. Don't forget the hummus ... yum ...
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Peas, broccoli, asparagus, and yeah ... nuts, beans, and sprouts. Don't forget the hummus ... yum ...

YES...HUMMUS...:love:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Beans, lentils and nuts are all good sources. There is this soup mix called I believe "Hams 15 bean soup". It is very inexpensive and comes in different flavors. I use the cajun one since there is no meat broth used. It makes quite a lot but I usually will make the whole thing then freeze the rest in serving sized containers. It is really good. I have also been on this homemade cashew nut butter kick recently. It is a little higher in calories but I only use 1 Tbs instead of 2 as a serving (220 per serving) and put it on half of a wheat bagel for breakfast.

Hambeen's 15 bean soup! I LOVE this stuff. It makes massive portions, but you need a big soup pot to make it. It says a batch makes 4 servings... well, last batch made at least 10 and I still had some that had to get thrown out after all of that. Just make sure that you throw out the seasoning packet and use your own spices. I added some extra lentils and tofu last time and it came out awesome.
  • aalbaum
    aalbaum Posts: 4
    Options
    cool, I'm going a vegetarian too and will try that soup!
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    My stepmom just recently showed me a list of vegetarian combination that create a "complete protein" - like peanut butter with whole wheat bread...something about the different combinations that make it a complete protein...lemme see if I can find something...
  • 1Corinthians13
    Options
    Here we go:

http://www.bodyforlife2.com/incompletprotein.htm

Animal Protein Versus Vegetable Protein
    In general, animal proteins (meat, fish, poultry, milk, cheese, and eggs) are considered good sources of complete proteins. Complete proteins contain ample amounts of all essential amino acids.

Food for Thought
    Gelatin is the only animal protein that is not considered a complete protein.

On the other hand, vegetable proteins (grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, and other vegetables) are incomplete proteins because they are missing, or do not have enough of, one or more of the essential amino acids. That's not such a big deal. You already know that grains and legumes are rich in complex carbohydrate and fiber. Now you learn that they can be an excellent source of protein as well; it just takes a little bit of work and know-how. By combining foods from two or more of the following columns—voilà—you create a self-made complete protein. You see, the foods in one column may be missing amino acids that are present in the foods listed in another column. When eaten in combination at the same meal (or separately throughout the day), your body receives all nine essential amino acids.

You can combine the following vegetable proteins to make complete proteins.

Sources of Complementary Proteins
    Grains Legumes Nuts/Seeds
    Barley Beans Sesame seeds
    Bulgur Lentils Sunflower seeds
    Cornmeal Dried peas Walnuts
    Oats Peanuts Cashews
    Buckwheat Chickpeas Pumpkin seeds
    Rice Soy products Other nuts
    Pasta
    Rye
    Wheat

Combinations to Create Complete Proteins
    Combine Grains and Legumes Combine Grains and Nuts/Seeds Combine Legumes and Nuts/Seeds
    Peanut butter on whole-wheat bread Whole-wheat bun with sesame seeds Humus (chickpeas and sesame paste)
    Rice and beans Breadsticks rolled with sesame seeds Trail mix (peanuts and sunflower seeds)
    Bean soup and a roll Rice cakes with peanut butter
    Salad with chickpeas and cornbread
    Tofu-vegetable stir-fry over rice or pasta
    Vegetarian chili with bread

Also, by adding small amounts of animal protein (meat, eggs, milk, or cheese) to any of the groups, you create a complete protein. Here are some examples:

* Casserole with a small amount of meat
    * Salad with beans and a hard cooked egg
    * Yogurt with granola
    * Bean and cheese burrito
    * Macaroni and cheese
    * Oatmeal with milk

Round-up
    Complementary proteins are two incomplete proteins in a food that compensate for one another's shortfalls when combined.
  • ricksnaustin
    ricksnaustin Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    WOW!! Great list Corin. My daughter decided to become vegetarian a year ago and this will be valuable to her. Thanks!
  • 1Corinthians13
    Options
    :smile: No problem.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    If you're brave and like to experiment, go to a health food store and purchase some Texturized Vegetable Protein. It's sort of like TOFU in that it absorbs the flavors of the things you cook it with.
    I once fixed a faux taco filling with it using a shake of beef boullion and chili powder, and it was very good. I'm sure there are other ways to use it. It's about 112 cals/half cup, and isvery high in fiber.

I've also been a long time fan of rice and beans as a complete protein.
  • slwwilson
    Options
    Thanks everyone...these are great ideas. I forgot about hummus which is sooooo delicious. It's tricky to get the complete proteins without the carbs.