Sizes are so frustrating!

Options
So, I was walking with a couple of my friends, two were sisters. And one of the sisters was saying how she wanted to lose weight, and how she was a size 12 and she didn't like it. So her younger sister (who's my age) was telling her that she didn't need to lose that much weight. She used me for an example and said that my size was perfect for her. And I said, but I'm a size 12 or 14. Everyone looked at me completely stunned, and I wondered the same thing, like how does THAT WORK? Lol. I mean, the girl was more triangle shaped, and I have more curves, like a coke bottle. But I mean oh my goodness. I can't even guesstimate what size I would be after I reach my goal weight. Out of curiosity, anyone experience this too?

I'm 5'5, 183lbs and in between sizes 12 and 14, and XL in tops btw.

Replies

• Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I agree, and wrote this blog a couple months back..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Flyntiggr?month=201109
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Sizing is dumb. :-) It all depends on how someone is shaped and not on weight, health, etc. I almost wish they would do women's sizing like means as it would make more sense to me.
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    My sister is a size 6 now, used to always wear 8 or 10 several years ago when she was in the 150s. She's 5,8'' and 136 lbs. now. A close friend of mine is similar in weight to her, maybe mid 140s or so and she's 5,4'' and wears a size 8. My friend holds her weight in her butt and thighs therefore causing her to wear a larger size (which she doesn't like). My sister and I are similar frames, we tend to carry weight more in the belly, although she really doesn't have much belly fat now. She (my sister) thinks once I get down to my goal that I'll be wearing a size 4.

The point is, sizes really depend on how your body is shaped. You could be really light but wear a larger size only because your bone structure or how you hold your fat determines what fits. Right now I'm about a 12, could possibly be a 10 but really what determines how I fit into sizes is my belly. My legs are small and my butt is small, well more like flat but I hold fat all in my belly which makes getting into smaller sizes a difficult task.
  • oneLessS
    oneLessS Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Sizing is dumb. :-) It all depends on how someone is shaped and not on weight, health, etc. I almost wish they would do women's sizing like means as it would make more sense to me.

Completely agree!
  • ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I understand completely! I'm 5'7" and still in the 220's at a size 16. I used to always think if I could just get to a 16 where I didn't have to shop in plus sizes (I started at a 24W) that I would happy. Now I'm in a 16 and still all my rolls and think, what the hell? There's so many other people I know in that size, who are apparently built completely different than I am. My sister says she's around a 16/18 and I have always thought she was nice and curvy and thought once I got to her size I'd be happy. But apparently she doesn't have this muffin top and apron belly issue that I do.
    That's 4 sizes down and I'm about halfway to my goal. If it continues and I lose 4 more sizes to my goal, I'd be in a size 8. When I started this and put my ultimate goal at 155, I always thought that'd leave me around a 12 or possibly a 10. I just can't imagine myself ever being in the single digits.
  • usfhottie
    usfhottie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You are NOT alone. I look like someone stacked two coke bottles on top of each other. My hips and chest are the same size, but my waist 10 inches smaller. Finding sizes that fits everywhere is almost impossible. I don't pay attention to sizes anymore, just how I feel in what I wear. Go with that, I think clothes are cut very generic and most are not made for girls with curves.
  • mandimoore617
    mandimoore617 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering about sizing this morning! I started out at 241.2 and I never wore jeans so I don't know what my jean size was. (I stayed in my maternity stuff - ick). When I finally bought jeans...I was at 227.8 and in a 16/18. I'm now at 195.6 and STILL in a 16/18?!?! And I've lost 15 inches overall! I think it's because, ever since I had my son, all my weight is in my stomach and hips. Mostly stomach. And I like to wear my jeans where they sit right below my belly button (mid-rise?). I have found that my size 16's are too big now (I can take them off/put them on without unbuttoning/unzipping them) but I can't find size 14's that fit. It's so frustrating!!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 3 and half and 154lbs and now wearing 16. I tried some 14 jog pants I got cheap off ebay just to see when I could get in them! . I tried them on when they arrived.. I can get them up, but cos my tummy is biggest problem its very tight around there and cos I'm sat in a L shape all day in chair its really uncomfortable when trousers are too tight around there!

I figure I need to lose about another 4" off my tummy before I will find them comfortable to sit in all day. I also find womens clothing these days seem to be 'skinny fit'.. When I go for my Levi's I expect now with 32 " waist I will fit in a 32 waist (mens) but I think if tried on ladies sizes (with supposedly the same waist).. I'd find them too tight.

I also have some size 16 suit pants from some years ago.. only worn once for a wedding before I put on weight they were a Dorothy Perkins size 16 from over 10yrs ago.. I could get in them when I was size 20 in today's sizes!.. ok they were a bit tight, but now as baggy as my 18's are!!

Also years ago sizes over 20 were the XL's ete... these days I'm shocked to find in some brands you are considered XL at size 16 and XXL at 18.. and many brands don't go over an 18.. designer shops never seem to have above a 14 and they are all really skinny fit, I end up buying from shops for the larger woman that start at 16 and have a bit more room in them!

I'm sure this is partly to blame for people's self image and especially teens today feeling they are fat if they need a 14 cos its L or XL if there friends are in 6/8/10 etc.